Thailand to be connected to China by rail - developments in trade this year - High Speed train finished 2028

webfact

57 minutes ago, robert888d said:

China lends vast sums of money to countries for huge development projects. Later on many countries are unable to repay the loans and then China can get anything it wants out of them. China will eventually take over Thailand but the Thais will have no one to blame but themselves. The Chinese are very intelligent  and clever to say  the least.

If I remember well, they refused to be a risk-taking partner (paid on profits) on this project, and decided to only lend money.

1 minute ago, RafPinto said:

If they go under and don't get bailed out by the communist party...... ouch

A lot of European companies dealing with them too.

There is surely something happening right now, which is waiting to unfold for us all to see. They clamping on the rich as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

China has over 30,000 km. of high speed rail, by far the world's leader. Thailand has zero km. of high speed rail. By far one of the world's sluggards, when it comes to any sort of high speed, or alternative forms of transportation, with their highways utterly choked by trucks of all kinds and sizes, due to decades of a lack of planning, when it comes to moving cargo around the nation. 

High speed rail is desperately needed here. And it is quite obvious the Thais cannot do this on their own. Way, way over their heads. 

And now going to be built by Chinese forced labour. Makes me sick.,

• Like 1

Great news!

The Chinese will be able to export to Thailand numerous Chinese-manufactured goods! They can take over the Thai economy (could be a good thing), eventually buy out the inefficient Thai manufacturers, buy out the inefficient Thai farmers -- it'll be a great takeover!

Thai politicians will live in the pockets of big Chinese conglomerates and so, effectively, will eventually run the Thai Government (maybe could be a good thing -- well, better than now!). They can eventually rename Thailand "Little China"!

Of course, all the Thais will, initially, welcome it as few see any danger in the proliferation of China and that "later" they will have to work much harder (i.e. normally) under their new bosses! It'll hit 'em hard! But it will be too late then!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

The chinese don't need weapons to take over a country. They proof it since years in Africa. The whole SEA will be in China's hands within a few years.

I see your point when countries like Afghanistan, Iraq & Vietnam were destroyed with weapons.  Trade rather than weapons. By the way, Africa was neglected by most developed countries but China saw the economic opportunities. Not China fault to be smarter than those developed countries. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

And the CCP will strictly control all moneys leaving the country.

Thai builders, dreaming the Chineses would buy all those unsold condos, keep dreaming. Scheina is in deep trouble.

Thats the thing. Evergrande is in trouble for several reasons but one of which is that house sales in China have dropped 20% in the past year.

Chinese banks know they are over exposed having given out so many domestic and foreign loans which are now starting to be defaulted on.

Now that was OK while the economy was expanding year on year but in the past two years the economy has started to shrink (please dont believe the "official" CCP figures regarding growth. I think they get TAT to compose them).

This has caused easy credit in China to become a thing of the past.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, djayz said:

I think the concept/project is a great development for the region. It should also help to reduce the number of lorries on the roads, many of which are not roadworthy and/or belch out thick, black fumes, not to mention just how recklessly some of those vehicles are driven. 

It should cut down on delivery times, road accidents and be a little more environmentally friendly. 

I'd love to take the train one day from here up to Kunming (I know passenger services are not planned until much later). 

Thailand's new trains from Chiang Mai to Bangkok are so slow and uncomfortable.

Even Tibet is more advanced than Thailand now. They put a coin on the high-speed train and it doesn't fall...

Edited by EricTh

5 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Fortunaetly for me, I haven't wasted too much time learning Thai. I can  just start learning Chinese so I'll be ready for the influx. 

Most foreigners who learned Thai after many months still can't speak Thai anyway.

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

Most foreigners who learned Thai after many months still can't speak Thai anyway.

I know the "soi" where I live. That's one of the few things I know in thai language.

Each time I say it to a taxi driver, they think I speak good thai and start a conversation 555

• Like 1

5 hours ago, djayz said:

I think you'll find that the average Somchai didn't have insider knowledge about this once in a lifetime opportunity to get rich quickly. If the truth be known, a very small, exclusive group of people just happened, by sheer coincidence, to buy that land before the project was announced.

Just like the new Thai/Burma border crossing near Kanchanaburi. Years ago land in the sleepy village of Phu Nam Ron, which is right on the border, was worth 10k bht per rai. The locals couldn't understand why people from Bangkok were suddenly buying as much land as they could. Later the upgrade to International crossing was announced with all the subsequent development and the price of land rocketed x100's. Some very rich people got even richer.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

China has over 30,000 km. of high speed rail, by far the world's leader. Thailand has zero km. of high speed rail. By far one of the world's sluggards, when it comes to any sort of high speed, or alternative forms of transportation, with their highways utterly choked by trucks of all kinds and sizes, due to decades of a lack of planning, when it comes to moving cargo around the nation. 

High speed rail is desperately needed here. And it is quite obvious the Thais cannot do this on their own. Way, way over their heads. 

But but but Thailand has a Space Program.  Surely they can do a high speed railway ...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, robert888d said:

China lends vast sums of money to countries for huge development projects. Later on many countries are unable to repay the loans and then China can get anything it wants out of them. China will eventually take over Thailand but the Thais will have no one to blame but themselves. The Chinese are very intelligent  and clever to say  the least.

Not to mention ruthless of course.

• Like 1

Just now, Iron Tongue said:

Other countries, including some of the poorest nations in the world are putting an end to their debt-trap infrastructure deals with China, but Thailand continues to march boldly forward...

Actually they cant.

Take a country like Gabon. China arrived and built a new parliament building for them. And a six lane highway which goes from nowhere to nowhere. Most traffic it sees in a week is three carts and a donkey which got lost.

Just google Chinese construction in Gabon.

Gabon now finds itself unable to keep up the payments.

The solution? China will accept repayment in hardwood trees from the rainforest.

Gabons solution to that problem? Its asking the west to pay for them not to cut down the trees.

Thereby essentially paying Gambons debt to China for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Thailand's new trains from Chiang Mai to Bangkok are so slow and uncomfortable.

Even Tibet is more advanced than Thailand now. They put a coin on the high-speed train and it doesn't fall...

Tibet is part of China