Jobless Thai chef arrested for trying to sell rare butterflies

Jonathan Fairfield

74669CE9-3893-4DD6-BA00-B6878FD06C22.jpeg

An unemployed chef has been arrested after he tried to sell eight preserved butterflies of six rare species to undercover officials from the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, at a mall in Bangkok.

The 29-year old chief who used to work at a Japanese restaurant in a Sukhumvit area hotel, which is has closed as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, told the officials that the butterflies were from his own personal collection, which he displayed in frames at the restaurant.

Mr. Navee Changphirom, chief of the 1362 special operations unit of the wildlife department said, today (Saturday), that his men had come across an advertisement on a Facebook webpage offering rare butterflies for sale and contacted the seller with an offer to buy them on condition that they could inspect them first.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/jobless-thai-chef-arrested-for-trying-to-sell-rare-butterflies/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Doesn't look rare butterflies to me but i am no expert but i'm sure you can find the same on sale at any market like Chatochak market,

With respect and for "starters" reference:-

The one in the smaller middle box on the extreme right is a rare Swallowtail (Asian) butterfly also known as the Kaiser-I-Hind (The  Emperor of India).  One, ethically sourced and framed, is legally for sale by a reputable US dealership for $149 (around 4,700 baht)  

Frames are made from ash, sustainably grown Thai rubber, or pine. 

http://www.insectcollective.com/store/p146/RARE_Swallowtail_Butterfly%2F_Kaiser-i-Hind_Butterfly_%2F_Teinopalpus_imperialis_%2F_Asia.html#/

Swallowtail Butterfly/ Kaiser-i-Hind Butterfly / Teinopalpus imperialis /  Asia entomology insect art

6 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

An unemployed chef has been arrested after he tried to sell eight preserved butterflies of six rare species to undercover officials from the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, at a mall in Bangkok.

Shouldn't have used the cheap house vinegar.

They look professionally mounted, I'm sure they can be purchased in most markets.

Or is the inference that the chef got his butterfly net and spent some time trudging through fields humming the theme of the sound of music until he identified the rare species which he proceeded to stalk until capture, he then fashioned a frame out of some wood and mounted (I bet someone makes a reference to "mounted his prize") his prize? 

Poor guy cut him some slack, no wages for months attempting to survive by selling some butterflies.

• Like 1