Beer Prices

Jip99

59 minutes ago, big dendrobenaes said:

WHY ask on here.????

GO TO one of the many wholesale outlets and get prices.....

there are many where i live....jomtien.....

TO give you an idea......I pay 750 baht for a case of small tins of LEO !!!!

Pays to look around.  Up here in my off licence I get a box of 12 Leo #8 at 480 B and I think that a large Leo for 40 B ain't bad , oh and I have had 2 free T shirts , a bottle opener and a back pack from the same place.

Same place does a bottle of Mc Guigan's Black Label Red for 550 B.  Not too sure if this is a bargain but hey  ho . 'tis a good wine.

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

encouraging wealthy foreigners and highly skilled professionals to stay and work in the country.

Stay and get drunk sounds more like it!!

But if this reduction in tax makes imported beers cheaper than Thai beers they it's not likely to come into effect as someone in Boon Rawd will have something to say about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

I only come here occasionally these days to catch up on news, but the stupidity of some of the comments is astounding. Are there still people who physically drive/ride/walk around all day comparing prices all over town? That's very old school.

I like old school, I like to see and touch physically what I am about to buy to make sure there are no mistakes.

Works well in bars too. ????

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Will B Good said:
22 hours ago, JayClay said:

What on earth do customs duties have to do with the price of locally brewed beer??

Nothing directly, but if imports become cheaper there will be a downward pressure on prices.

Are you aware that locally produced beer comes only from the huge corporations. Independent brewers of 'Thai' beer are appearing, but I believe they must be brewed abroad, in Cambodia and Vietnam, thereby giving jobs to non-Thais rather than Thais - and then imported into Thailand with the import tax making them uncompetitive and therefore no threat to the monopoly corporations - owned by some of the richest men in Thailand. Just part of the Alice Through The Looking Glass life in Thailand - Thai beer made in Cambodia.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

10 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:
22 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Beer Lao here I come!

Dark has been 49 baht at our Tops for months, cans are still 66 baht !

For a few glorious weeks I was able to buy small bottles of Beer Lao IPA for 65 baht at just one branch of 7/11, but the bottle said Limited Edition and now I can no longer buy it - at least in my neck of the woods. Nearest thing to a decent English beer I've found here. Black Dragon is not bad but it tastes like a watered-down substitute.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Thank you.

Unfortunately, that price includes delivery......I am pretty sure that Makro etc will sell for under 1,000 Baht.

The alcohol prices in Makro are the same as any other store in Thailand, BigC, Lotus's, etc.  I believe the price is controlled by the government.  

Delivery charges are added separately on Wishbeer, 120 baht per 10,000 baht of order.  They do have a membership which gives you lower prices.  Might be worthwhile if you drink a lot.

22 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I just looked again. Seems that wishbeer gets around the ban on online sales by insisting you become a member.

Once you sign up, the prices become 917 THB (Tiger light) and 1039 THB San Mig Zero).

Only after paying a rather large membership fee.

23 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Apologies for my laziness but I know many people have beer prices at their fingertips.

I am looking for the price for a box of 24 x 330 Tiger Light and also 24 x 330 San Miguel ZERO.

MAKRO or local beer wholesalers - just an indication.

844 baht for a case of Tiger Light at Makro yesterday.

I also bought a litre of Smirnoff Vodka and it seemed to be around 80 baht cheaper than the last time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Pays to look around.  Up here in my off licence I get a box of 12 Leo #8 at 480 B and I think that a large Leo for 40 B ain't bad , oh and I have had 2 free T shirts , a bottle opener and a back pack from the same place.

Same place does a bottle of Mc Guigan's Black Label Red for 550 B.  Not too sure if this is a bargain but hey  ho . 'tis a good wine.

That's a great price if the LEO is genuine and not some unauthorized mixture of beer/lao khao.  I pay a little over 600b for a case of large LEOs.

22 hours ago, MajorTom said:

I pay 695 for a box of My Beer in Makro. I would guess Tiger light is similar

695bht, hmmmm. My nightly watering hole charges me 50bht for large MY beer, so 50x12=600bht.....????......And she is making money, not a lot but......

22 hours ago, JayClay said:

What on earth do customs duties have to do with the price of locally brewed beer??

My thoughts too, although I presume there are other duties and taxes (VAT etc) on locally produced alcoholic drinks. I believe the reduction in customs (import ) duties are supposedly aimed at 'wealthy' wine drinking foreigners who are going to invest billions of baht here.

Nothing like having preconceived misconceptions of the immigrants you are attempting to entice.

23 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Hang back......tax and duty to be reduced in the near future by 50%.

The idiots running the show think this will have the foreign millionaires queueing to get in.

Alcohol, cigar duty cuts

The Customs Department is preparing to lower duty on the import of alcoholic beverages and cigars by 50% for five years in line with the government's economic stimulus and investment promotion package.

Meanwhile Philip Morris (Altrea?) imported cigarettes will still cost way more than other imported cigarettes.

23 hours ago, Will B Good said:

....and you really think the customs department would take upon themselves to reduce duty by 50%....get real.

Patchara Anuntasilpa, director-general of the department, said the cuts are in accordance with the Sept 14 cabinet resolution involving plans to revive the post-Covid-19 economy by encouraging wealthy foreigners and highly skilled professionals to stay and work in the country.

So it's only for "wealthy foreigners and highly skilled professionals", the resident expat gets nothing again!

31 minutes ago, DaLa said:

My thoughts too, although I presume there are other duties and taxes (VAT etc) on locally produced alcoholic drinks. I believe the reduction in customs (import ) duties are supposedly aimed at 'wealthy' wine drinking foreigners who are going to invest billions of baht here.

Nothing like having preconceived misconceptions of the immigrants you are attempting to entice.

Indirect taxes (VAT etc) tend to impact poorer people more that wealthier people.

23 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

I lived for many years in Thailand and have been living in the UK for 3 years now. As a price comparison, I get 18 X 440ml (7.92 litres) cans of Stella Artois for £15 in the UK. The last time I was in Thailand Marlboro cigarettes were heading for £5 a pack (Although I think this is partly the manufacturer's pricing).

For very many years now they've been ramping-up 'sin taxes' in Thailand.