Moroccan arrested at Suvarnabhumi didn't have the money to pay fine after 300 day overstay

webfact

5 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

So that everyone will then overstay their visas a year or more and then expect to just waltz on out of the country? If he had the money for a flight to Russia...he has (or can get) 20k to pay his fine.

500b a day fine? 

• Sad 1

Will the Moroccan be marinated? Deep fried, or basted over a spit? 

Everything is a circus here, military decorations, and lots of them, just for showing up, or an institutional anniversary, jump wings for playing on a flying-fox contraption on a staff day out, etc etc etc.

Rumour has it they are commissioning their own version of the Victoria Cross, it will be issued for winning an argument with an irate departing tourist, and struck from the hulls of the Chinese Subs, when they break down in six months never to sail again, or when they crash them into Bali Hai pier.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

You would have thought they would have picked it up at one of his 90-day checks.  This is surely exactly the kind of situation they're designed to prevent.

It should be that way but i suspect it's just another revenue source. 

6 hours ago, recom273 said:

I know this has been happening as long as tourists have been coming to Thailand, but as highlighted by the Hungarian woman on a 10 year overstay - Have the immigration service no shame, every time they go through this public display does it not also display their incompetence in doing their job? Hey, look at us, we let this guy walk around for a year on an overstay and the only reason we caught him is because he handed himself in at the airport.

So what do you want the Thais to do? Making it the same as North Korea for us,  check the foreigners' papers all the time? I personally don't want to deal with the police and the immigration unless I want to do this myself.

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

Was that really the smartest move by airport immigration?  This guy presumably had a valid flight ticket and was about to leave Thailand.  Without any money to pay his overstay fine, the Thai government is now responsible for keeping him in detention, giving him food etc.  They could have just said 'OK, not our problem, get on the plane and we are rid of you...'.

Burt then they don't get to point with sticks and use a microphone to indicate bad man.  Look at how at attention they all are... and boots so shiny.

10 months keeping a low profile? He's got money. Trouble is, the people it belongs to found out where he is, and  are breathing down his neck. So he banks it, and books the first flight out he can get, meaning to contact the bank on arrival.

But, Immigration nab him, and now the money's owners know where he is. So he sits in nick, wondering what kind of a deal he can make with the boys in brown.

More next week.

• Confused 1

Maybe tell the boys at the Thai immigration, that there are countries without any immigration on exiting the country. These countries could not care less and in a case like the Moroccon - good riddance. If they look for someone, then they access the PNL (passenger name list) as if a culprit travels with a fake passport under a different name, the immigration might be fooled as much as the airline carrying such people out of a country. 

What is there to prove by the boys in brown; if they would have been really on top of their job, they would have started "hunting" for him in droves 299 days ago already - or thereafter every 90 days ????????????  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

You would have thought they would have picked it up at one of his 90-day checks.  This is surely exactly the kind of situation they're designed to prevent.

I think the only reasons for the 90 report is powertrips and the dislike of expats.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Maybe tell the boys at the Thai immigration, that there are countries without any immigration on exiting the country. These countries could not care less and in a case like the Moroccon - good riddance. If they look for someone, then they access the PNL (passenger name list) as if a culprit travels with a fake passport under a different name, the immigration might be fooled as much as the airline carrying such people out of a country. 

What is there to prove by the boys in brown; if they would have been really on top of their job, they would have started "hunting" for him in droves 299 days ago already - or thereafter every 90 days ????????????  

Nationwide man hunt and BMW's at the double

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

As with LHR just boarding card 'bar code' scanned at gate, no queues at any departing immigration. 

18 hours ago, recom273 said:

Does anyone remember what happened if you got to the airport and didn't have 500B for the departure tax, back in the day?

I only every paid it once on my first visit, but I still kept 500B at the back of my wallet for a couple of subsequent visits for fear of not having the money to leave.

I remember it well.  Always kind of a PITA to make sure you had it with you.  

23 hours ago, recom273 said:

Does anyone remember what happened if you got to the airport and didn't have 500B for the departure tax, back in the day?

I only every paid it once on my first visit, but I still kept 500B at the back of my wallet for a couple of subsequent visits for fear of not having the money to leave.

You still pay it every time, It is included in your ticket price!