Moroccan arrested at Suvarnabhumi didn't have the money to pay fine after 300 day overstay

webfact

7pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Thailand's Immigration Bureau Chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang and many of his minions were at yet another press conference along with their now famous vinyl boards to announce the arrest of a young Moroccan man.

The 23 year old was caught at the Suvarnabhumi concourse trying to check-in for a flight to Russia. 

Biometrics confirmed the details in his passport that he had overstayed 300 days. He had no money for the fine and was promptly detained. 

A vinyl board screenshot published by Naew Na seemed to contain different details to that which they reported.

ASEAN NOW's Sunday columnist Rooster highlighted the time wasted at IB briefings on trivial matters with their costly PR boards in this week's The Week That Was column.

His comments even included a rather prophetic signing off quip about Moroccans.

asean_now_BB.jpg

13 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Was that really the smartest move by airport immigration?  This guy presumably had a valid flight ticket and was about to leave Thailand.  Without any money to pay his overstay fine, the Thai government is now responsible for keeping him in detention, giving him food etc.  They could have just said 'OK, not our problem, get on the plane and we are rid of you...'.

Yes it make sense to many of us but we're NOT Thais right?... 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, poohy said:

They should have waved him goodbye with the ban

BUT It would involves logic

Not a Immigration or even Thai strong point

Possibly the staff don't have the authority to make those decisions. 

And I hope the git does at least a year in IDC. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

I do wonder what the relationship is between the sign making shop and the immigration office is .

The money paid for the vinyl posters must come from public funds , I do wonder whether immigration pays special rates for the numerous posters they order and whether theres any gratitude money paid back in cash ?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Was that really the smartest move by airport immigration?  This guy presumably had a valid flight ticket and was about to leave Thailand.  Without any money to pay his overstay fine, the Thai government is now responsible for keeping him in detention, giving him food etc.  They could have just said 'OK, not our problem, get on the plane and we are rid of you...'.

So that everyone will then overstay their visas a year or more and then expect to just waltz on out of the country? If he had the money for a flight to Russia...he has (or can get) 20k to pay his fine.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Frankly they should remove the maximum overstay fine

Charge it per day indefinately until its paid or take a 3 year jail sentence in Thailand if its not cleared after 30 days in immigration detention

Soon stop that nonsense dead in its tracks in the first place with a few posts on social media

• Sad 1

The immigration police chief plus some high ranks with a neat presentation about a single case of overstay (without further charges, no high ranking criminal?).

They must be bored to death.

Would such happen in your country?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

The immigration police chief plus some high ranks with a neat presentation about a single case of overstay (without further charges, no high ranking criminal?).

They must be bored to death.

Would such happen in your country?

...and the incredible detective work involved in foiling this crime of the century consisted of sitting in a chair at the airport and noticing his overstay when he presented himself voluntarily for inspection. Medals and bonuses for all involved, please.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Biometrics confirmed the details in his passport that he had overstayed 300 days.

Yes, important to bring biometrics into it - an imposter might have taken his passport to try to cash in on his overstay ????

• Haha 2

I don't understand the point of putting this guy in the IDC, however, what total plank manages to overstay a year, successfully avoiding detection from the RTP in their different guises, but was unaware that he has to pay 20K overstay fee .. presumably he has managed to get some kind of COVID test certificate allowing him to fly. Has he never seen 'banged up abroad'? Did he really just think that immigration would give him a slap on the wrist and let him go.

24 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Yes, important to bring biometrics into it - an imposter might have taken his passport to try to cash in on his overstay ????

What biometrics are contained in either a Moroccan passport or the RTP database to confirm the identity of the guy, do they mean they looked at his passport photo?

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Does anyone remember what happened if you got to the airport and didn't have 500B for the departure tax, back in the day?

I only every paid it once on my first visit, but I still kept 500B at the back of my wallet for a couple of subsequent visits for fear of not having the money to leave.

• Like 1