Moroccan arrested at Suvarnabhumi didn't have the money to pay fine after 300 day overstay

webfact

Stupid Propaganda a full long topic with 5 people presentation for an overstay? 

No body can deny that 90 % of the responsibly fall on what they call it Thai immigration department they have no policy and they ask ridiculous things lead to what they call it overstay in the other hand as I'm a very active traveler i can say with full confidence Thai people are the biggest overstayers in Malaysia, Singapore, Korea, Japan, Turkey and name it...............so much xenophobia and <deleted> in this country.

• Confused 1

On 9/21/2021 at 4:38 PM, Scouse123 said:

They make a big song and dance and produce a steamroller and gather the national press for the traditional  steamrolling of illegal; mobile phones and how many they have captured, as well as all the illegal contraband that has entered the prison over a 1 year to 18 months period.

I don't believe that the prison authorities do that.  Why would they advertise how much contraband gets past them?

There are occasions when other authorities do publicly destroy illegal, smuggled or counterfeit items but the prisons don't do it.

"actual contact visits are usually once a year and not guaranteed every year"

As a matter of course, there are no personal visits in Thai prisons, they're all behind screens, all the time.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 9/22/2021 at 1:53 AM, mahtin said:

10 months keeping a low profile? He's got money. Trouble is, the people it belongs to found out where he is, and  are breathing down his neck. So he banks it, and books the first flight out he can get, meaning to contact the bank on arrival.

But, Immigration nab him, and now the money's owners know where he is. So he sits in nick, wondering what kind of a deal he can make with the boys in brown.

More next week.

What?

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I don't believe that the prison authorities do that.  Why would they advertise how much contraband gets past them?

There are occasions when other authorities do publicly destroy illegal, smuggled or counterfeit items but the prisons don't do it.

As a matter of course, there are no personal visits in Thai prisons, they're all behind screens, all the time.

And I am telling you 100% you are wrong.

Based on fact and personal experience and witnessing everything I said.

Here is a link to contact visits that do not happen according to you :-

http://www.thai-blogs.com/2008/10/25/contact-visit-at-a-thai-prison/

Edited by Scouse123

On 9/21/2021 at 3:35 PM, simon43 said:

Was that really the smartest move by airport immigration?  This guy presumably had a valid flight ticket and was about to leave Thailand.  Without any money to pay his overstay fine, the Thai government is now responsible for keeping him in detention, giving him food etc.  They could have just said 'OK, not our problem, get on the plane and we are rid of you...'.

Since when does any Thai officialdom show any hint of common sense though?

These pea-brains would sooner 

pea-cock their amazing sleuthing abilities in capturing this notorious criminal mastermind.????

• Like 1

Call me a sap, but I have some empathy for a guy whose return flight probably got cancelled during Covid, and he didn't have enough in the budget to buy a full fare ticket to replace it. 

At 300 days, compassion and common sense would have them quietly sticking the guy on his flight after stamping "persona-non-grata" in his passport.  The multi-year blacklisting is adequate punishment to keep most tourists from aspiring to follow his example.  And would pretty much guaranty this guy won't be a repeat offender.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Scouse123 said:
18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

And I am telling you 100% you are wrong.

Based on fact and personal experience and witnessing everything I said.

Here is a link to contact visits that do not happen according to you :-

Sorry, I am not wrong.

Contraband confiscated from prisoners has never been publicly destroyed as you claimed.

Personal contact visits do not happen in Thai prisons nowadays.  That article was from 2008.

What is your personal experience and witnessing of contact visits? Where and when did those contact visits that you witnessed take place?   My experience is of being a prisoner in Thailand, much more recently than when that old article was published, and volunteering as a visitor. I know exactly how visiting works...from both sides of the screens.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Sorry, I am not wrong.

Contraband confiscated from prisoners has never been publicly destroyed as you claimed.

Personal contact visits do not happen in Thai prisons nowadays.  That article was from 2008.

What is your personal experience and witnessing of contact visits? Where and when did those contact visits that you witnessed take place?   My experience is of being a prisoner in Thailand, much more recently than when that old article was published, and volunteering as a visitor. I know exactly how visiting works...from both sides of the screens.

When I was involved and incarcerated they did, end of. I don't think the system has changed but it could certainly have been stopped temporarily due to Covid.

I know what I am talking about especially when it comes to the Thai penal system, having been on the wrong end of it.

You said that contact visits have never happened, you were wrong;-

' As a matter of course, there are no personal visits in Thai prisons, they're all behind screens, all the time. '   Your words!

You said contraband was never run over by a steamroller crushing vehicle and press invited along, when I saw it with my own eyes, you are wrong again. Instead you try calling people liars.

Now you are trying to say these are not relevant as old articles etc etc and just trying to get out of what you had stated as a fact.

Not interested in responding and certainly not going to explain myself to you.

I can see you take a position and then just refuse to back down when evidence is presented and then continue asking for more like some modern day Oliver Twist.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Sorry, I am not wrong.

Expand  

When I was involved and incarcerated they did, end of. I don't think the system has changed but it could certainly have been stopped temporarily due to Covid.

I know what I am talking about especially when it comes to the Thai penal system, having been on the wrong end of it.

You said that contact visits have never happened, you were wrong;-

' As a matter of course, there are no personal visits in Thai prisons, they're all behind screens, all the time. '   Your words!

You said contraband was never run over by a steamroller crushing vehicle and press invited along, when I saw it with my own eyes, you are wrong again. Instead you try calling people liars.

Now you are trying to say these are not relevant as old articles etc etc and just trying to get out of what you had stated as a fact.

Not interested in responding and certainly not going to explain myself to you.

I can see you take a position and then just refuse to back down when evidence is presented and then continue asking for more like some modern day Oliver Twist.

"Contact visits" have not been facilitated as a normal privilege since at least 2012 to my knowledge.

I did not say that contact visits "have never" happened, I said...

"As a matter of course, there are no personal visits in Thai prisons, they're all behind screens, all the time".  

Those were my words!    What you linked to was a 13-year old article.

Of course, you don't have to "explain yourself" to me (to use your words), I just asked you for something to confirm your claim which I disputed and I still dispute it.    I will eat huge amounts of humble pie if you've got something current that shows I'm wrong and that, allowing for Covid restrictions, contact visits are normal practice.

Neither did I say that "contraband was never crushed", I said that prison contraband was never crushed.  If the press were invited to the crushing of prison contraband there would be evidence of it in the press and there isn't.   There have been occasions when RTP or Customs have done that with illegal or counterfeit items and they have always been well-publicised but those items were not from prisons.

I agree with some of the responses here that letting him go and maybe imposing a ban that cannot return was the better option.

The problem here with the OP is that there is no need for a pile of (or indeed any) publicity at all that unnecessarily attracts other remarks about letting "criminals" go free or setting unwanted precedents for future Over-stayers.

Sometimes, it is better for "least said and done, soonest mended"

On 9/23/2021 at 10:03 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Sorry, I am not wrong.

I would suggest doing your upmost best to stay out of the Thai prison system, especially as an incarcerated guest!  What is it with people from Liverpool ending up in a Thai prison?

Edited by Hanuman2547

On 9/24/2021 at 12:28 AM, Scouse123 said:

I would suggest doing your upmost best to stay out of the Thai prison system, especially as an incarcerated guest!  What is it with LFC supporters ending up in a Thai prison?

16 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I would suggest doing your upmost best to stay out of the Thai prison system, especially as an incarcerated guest!  What is it with people from Liverpool ending up in a Thai prison?

How many people from Liverpool have ended up in a Thai prison, then?    What makes you think that I'm from Liverpool, anyway?

2 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How many people from Liverpool have ended up in a Thai prison, then?    What makes you think that I'm from Liverpool, anyway?

Oh, I don't know.........maybe your handle that you use?

Maybe you assume too much about my name.   You certainly assume too much about people from Liverpool.