Whats happened on this forum ?

Social Media

4 hours ago, Black Ops said:

A simple topic where someone asks for advice or whatever and responses are mostly ridicule, insulting, accusing the OP of lying, is saying "x", is not sayingyx", has a hidden agenda,, or is being paid to post, and more.

Trump and conspiracy theorists happened.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Lots of little cliques who tend to jump on anyone who opposes their views in what they perceive to be “their” thread. 

Add a few new starts trying to mark their territory and be accepted into the “mutual like” club 

Mix that in with people whose whole life seems to be reliant on finding negative outcomes and willing to dissect every piece of information until they eventually find something. 

Seems to be less accepted to have some banter and even seen posts removed due to sarcasm. 

Throw in the previous post re bored old pensioners etc and there you are. 

Just my opinion of course, and nothing particularly new, just more obvious with the reduction in posters since the transition. 

The OP has my sympathy. Can’t be easy returning nowadays. 

It still kills time and better than TV. ………television that is not Thai Visa.!

There ya go. 

There seems to be a rather homogenous connection from other similarly themed forums [and there are quite a few] that fodder  a downturn in this type of particular venue. And not one is any different than the next. In house policies will certainly differ, but the the membership and contributing posters is pretty much a kinship of character resemblance - dominant by cycling negativity and nastiness. And it's always been of this nature. It is what it is.

• Like 1

I would think that Anthony Robbins was quite right when he realized that some people understand a situation by what is similar in their mind, and that other people understand a situation by what is different in their mind.

He gives an example: you throw a bunch of coins on a table, and ask, 'what do you see. Some people will answer, 'all coins', and others will answer 'all different coins'.

So when one describes a situation, and get a response suggesting that what is written was incorrect, (by some 1 or 2% perhaps'). While others will simply see that what was written was correct to a level of some 98% or so.

The reaction of a poster in such situations will be quite different. From annoying to satisfying.

Ans so many posters here are experts at finding the damn 1% that is incorrect in their mind about so many posts. And it seems like it is all they have to do. Annoying yes.

No longer social discussions here. The anonymity allows for responses that are less than cordial... Like forgetting that people have feelings too....

• Like 2

I think the Farang Pub didn't change much.

It is the pub and not general questions, so some not so serious answers should be expected.

The moderators make sure users have to behave, or else...

Personally I think it depends a lot on the questions. If someone asks something like: "I met this beautiful girl online last week and she loves me and now she asks me to help her because her buffalo/mother/brother/whatever is sick" then don't be surprised to get special answers. And "my one is different" is no excuse.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

I would think that Anthony Robbins was quite right when he realized that some people understand a situation by what is similar in their mind, and that other people understand a situation by what is different in their mind.

He gives an example: you throw a bunch of coins on a table, and ask, 'what do you see. Some people will answer, 'all coins', and others will answer 'all different coins'.

So when one describes a situation, and get a response suggesting that what is written was incorrect, (by some 1 or 2% perhaps'). While others will simply see that what was written was correct to a level of some 98% or so.

The reaction of a poster in such situations will be quite different. From annoying to satisfying.

Ans so many posters here are experts at finding the damn 1% that is incorrect in their mind about so many posts. And it seems like it is all they have to do. Annoying yes.

No longer social discussions here. The anonymity allows for responses that are less than cordial... Like forgetting that people have feelings too....

Yep. And all very "special" Western traits, for the larger part.

I supposed dots cannot be connected when we can't find the dots to connect.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It'll all change once the bars are open again and we have something better to do than sit in front of a computer.

Alternatively come home after a drink or 3 and react irrationally to something even more irrational.

Not me of course. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, billd766 said:

the grammar nasties are still lurking in dark corners waiting to correct every mistake.

That's not fair I'm only trying to help. Perhaps it will be 2021 when I make Grammar Nazi of the Year. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think the Farang Pub didn't change much.

It is the pub and not general questions, so some not so serious answers should be expected.

The moderators make sure users have to behave, or else...

Personally I think it depends a lot on the questions. If someone asks something like: "I met this beautiful girl online last week and she loves me and now she asks me to help her because her buffalo/mother/brother/whatever is sick" then don't be surprised to get special answers. And "my one is different" is no excuse.

But mine is American Woman Gets Total Recall Breast Implants For $20,000 - ScreenJolt

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

some people understand a situation by what is similar in their mind, and that other people understand a situation by what is different in their mind

Very true.  Often someone replies to another person and after a brief exchange you can see that most of their disquiet comes from the fact that they assume the OP has the same weird quirks or motivations as them.  Often people, good or bad, assume people see the world in the same way as they do, and this comes across in how they react to other people's comments.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

One particular item that has remained steadfast from years gone by - the incessant and ignorant-based Chinese/Thai/Asian bashing. Appears to be the dominant and forlong character among the numerous oddities of members. 

Which, of course, goes hand-in-hand with the petty and exhausting Thai apologists, gatekeepers and "I'm more Thai than you" types.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

One particular item that has remained steadfast from years gone by - the incessant and ignorant-based Chinese/Thai/Asian bashing. Appears to be the dominant and forlong character among the numerous oddities of members. 

Not sure what "forlong" means, but as regards attitudes to Chinese if you have not had much contact with them you are lucky. 

They can be very wearing and very hard work. The hi-so well bred types not so much, but lower down the scale it's as well they spend most of their time being shepherded about amongst their own kind. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Black Ops said:

A simple topic where someone asks for advice or whatever and responses are mostly ridicule, insulting, accusing the OP of lying, is saying "x", is not sayingyx", has a hidden agenda,, or is being paid to post, and more.

The autopsy of every word or looking for hidden meaning is just bizarre

What happened here and why is everything seemingly totally over analyzed and disected like that ?

My hypothesis is that this board, in general, is a refuge for older people who increasingly feel out of touch with Thailand and the wider world, but nevertheless are sensitive that they've lost standing in each of them.

And so it's easy to go onto the internet to vent, or be belittling or petty, because just for that instant it restores a sense of status that otherwise felt lost. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

Edited by The Cipher
Edited to un-bold words that had randomly bolded themselves.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Why do you call them nutjobs?

It means crazy.  It's a term used to differentiate between sane and insane people.

Your post would have been just as clear without being abusive

My post wasn't abusive.

by being abusive, you render yourself opinionated and distrustworthy.  Ignorant abuse portrays yourself as ignorant, and says nothing about those you abuse, so if you want to abuse someone, you need to refrain from anything that could be construed or misconstrued as ignorant abuse.

Your opinion, which I disagree with.

I joined in 2008, and I think it was worse then?

Although one subject in particular still seems to bring out the nasty comments: Thai wives and girlfriends - which is odd, as that's what keeps many of us in Thailand.

If anyone dares post about a happy relationship, the tired old cliches about 'brothers' who are really boyfriends, accusations about sexpats and gold-diggers or suggestions about the wife being a ladyboy, are posted with monotonous regularity.   It's like a reflex reaction for some posters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Antonymous said:

I have seen this unnamed 'other forum' mentioned half a dozen times by different members now.

Which forum is it? This is a genuine question. Surely it isn't something top secret. There is still SOME free speech allowed on TV/aseannow. Please name it.

Possibly thaiger. No contest really.