Bank Staement Not required.

I renewed / extended  1 year OA (Retired) Visa Yesterday--(it was due next week) yesterday I went along to see them about needing to supply a bank statement--my first time for that. (And with Bank holiday tomorrow-& it seems BKK bank having a few problems at the moment--- all  ATMs closed off one day, overseas transaction --wise etc,taking longer) & some people quoting days wait for bank statement.

Anyway they looked at my Bank book and said you update every 4 weeks--I jokingly said-yes my wife wants to know just how much she can spend that month.

"Then we don't require a bank statement just the letter is fine-- We have problems where there are large gaps -sometimes 4-6 months that dont get printed, then there is Just a balance. We dont know if some of the Money is left in for the time period  required. "

** This is Udon Thani I.O.----- And of course nothing is strictly adhered to re Government departments  in Thailand.

But it may be worth inquiring, if getting a full bank statement is a hassle for you. The ATM update machines are everywhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

"Then we don't require a bank statement just the letter is fine-- We have problems where there are large gaps -sometimes 4-6 months that dont get printed, then there is Just a balance. We dont know if some of the Money is left in for the time period  required.

Perhaps lost in translation. 

The problem of needing a statement is sometimes due to someone using "everyday account" for immigration.

If someone is doing multiple transactions per month the they can be consolidated and hence transactions can be missed (not showing in bb). In that situation bank statements may be required. 

I update my bank book every month/six weeks, never been asked for a separate statement. The only slight hiccup I had was when a machine overprinted several entries, including the previous extension renewal date. At my next application the IO queried the missing date, and I pointed out the overprint. He referred it to a superior officer, and they let it go, I suppose because it was obvious that I always run a balance well above 800k.

Now I'm always careful to refresh the book at the machine at the main local branch, as they seem to maintain the printer better than elsewhere.

• Like 1

G day

I did my extension marriage two weeks ago in pattaya. I presented an updated savings passbook with 4 entries for july and September 21 thb 437 k and the bank letter dated application day. Despite that I was requested a bank Statement ...why??

Wbr

Roobaa01

@pip i explain the entries on the

13.7 432.000 k deposit

13.7 437000 k b forward

13.9 2500.       Withdrawal

13.9 434500.   B forward

14.9. 100.         Deposit

14.9. 434600. B for ward

The office argued there was no movement in August and i could have dran funds un August? ?? Therefore bank Statement requested ??

Wbr

Roobaa01

They just like making thing hard for us.

In the past I've had an officer insist on an Embassy letter to prove income, when I had over 1,600,000 in the account for over a year (not just the 3 months before as it was at the time).

Another officer at the same office insisted on a transaction statement for a fixed deposit account, in case I'd withdrawn some money that did not appear in the book.

The first was over-ruled by his colleague, the second backed down when I pointed out 1) Deposits and withdrawals are not allowed mid-term on a fixed deposit account without closing it and 2) They do not issue an ATM card for fixed deposit accounts so no withdrawal can be made without the book.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

@pip i explain the entries on the

13.7 432.000 k deposit

13.7 437000 k b forward

13.9 2500.       Withdrawal

13.9 434500.   B forward

14.9. 100.         Deposit

14.9. 434600. B for ward

The office argued there was no movement in August and i could have dran funds un August? ?? Therefore bank Statement requested ??

Wbr

Roobaa01

I can understand their logic to be on the safer side. 

You needed to show that you had a minimum of 400k on deposit 2 months before applying.  In your case that would have ranged from early July to early Sep, but you had a 1 month hole in that proof by not having any August entry.  I guess such a hole was too large especially since it was not a fixed savings acct which would have very few transactions over its term.

And maybe the office's policy for a short 2 month seasoning period is to have at least 1 entry per month....that's could be their minimum number of passbook updates for a 2 month seasoning period especially since a passbook balance summary entry would mask some transactions like possibly dropping below 400k.

I just glad they will accept passbook entries most of the time and don't instead require a formal bank statement all the time.

• Confused 1

The last two years I applied at CW for an annual extension based on an O visa they accepted without comment my bank passbook updated the previous day rather than the day of my application. Maybe I was just lucky so I wouldn't  recomend this, however it worked twice for me.

18 hours ago, Pib said:

You needed to show that you had a minimum of 400k on deposit 2 months before applying.  In your case that would have ranged from early July to early Sep, but you had a 1 month hole in that proof by not having any August entry. 

Doesn't the bank book always cover the entire period, there are no 'holes' you refer to, besides lack of activity 'holes' so the balance could never have gone below 400k  in this case or am I missing something here please?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Doesn't the bank book always cover the entire period, there are no 'holes' you refer to, besides lack of activity 'holes' so the balance could never have gone below 400k  in this case or am I missing something here please?

If you do not update your passbook for some months --the ATM  update Machine will miss out those transactions and just give you the current months transactions and balance.  If you take it inside the bank and ask, you will get a full read out of all the months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Over the years from my personal experience with the Bangkok Bank, Krungsri, and KrungThai bank passbooks the wife and I have (6 regular savings accts with 6 passbooks), when doing a passbook update they will sometimes simply skip over some transactions.   Maybe start by printing a transaction from say 3 months ago....print some more,  and then if printing more than a certain amount of transactions, it will then skip to printing out the last transaction without printing out some of the interim transactions.    For the transactions printed you can tell from the balance that there was some other transaction(s) in-between but for some reason simply didn't print to the passbook....but the final balance is OK...there is no mission money.

And in other cases if the transaction are too old (seems to vary by bank as to how many months/transactions they go back for a passbook update) only a summary/balance forward type transaction will be printed.  KrungThai bank comes to mind with this happening in frequently.

But if the transaction don't print to the passbook they do appear online or when getting a statement.

17 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

If you do not update your passbook for some months --the ATM  update Machine will miss out those transactions and just give you the current months transactions and balance.  If you take it inside the bank and ask, you will get a full read out of all the months.

Not sure anyone is suggesting update at machine. If so I would avoid that.

Some info in this thread is incorrect. You do not need update your bankbook as some have suggested. 

Some folk don't touch the bank book that they set aside for immigration purposes.

As I mentioned earlier......some people use same bank account for immigration purposes and everyday use. If you make many transactions these can be consolidated in a given month.

I have forgotten the number but eg it could be 30 transactions and anything more may be consolidated.

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not sure anyone is suggesting update at machine. If so I would avoid that.

Why---That's all I do once a month---thats what I.O. were happy with.

Edited by sanuk711

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Over the years from my personal experience with the Bangkok Bank, Krungsri, and KrungThai bank passbooks the wife and I have (6 regular savings accts with 6 passbooks), when doing a passbook update they will sometimes simply skip over some transactions.   Maybe start by printing a transaction from say 3 months ago....print some more,  and then if printing more than a certain amount of transactions, it will then skip to printing out the last transaction without printing out some of the interim transactions. 

I am surprised  all banks are not the same - they are aren't they? I have KBank accounts and if there are large numbers of transactions they skip listing them all in the book (this is when an IO needs a statement), but they are combined into one large withdraw or deposit entry and so the bank ledger is thus continuous and there are never any 'holes' and the balance always carries forward.

However in the case of @roobaa01 above that you started this on, where he has listed all the book entries, how can there be missing data or risk of balance below 400k unless the bank book printing machine is malfunctioning?

Edited by Digitalbanana
  • Like 1