People don't understand sarcasm on this forum?

Boarn

26 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Thought that was going to end " put your head between your knees and kiss your arzz goodbye" ...lol ????????????

except this this response is a factual one, rather than sarcasm ????  

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

"Then there are one or two posters who leave confused smileys after almost every post."

There is one poster in particular who gives out many saddo emoticans very regularly. It is very common for him to give you a "like" or a "smiley" for your opinion, then a few days later he gives you a saddo for that same opinion.

Very regularly you will see a post with a lone saddo along with "likes" and/or "smileys". No prizes for guessing who that poster is.

There's one of them with the smiley. ????

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2021 at 7:44 AM, simon43 said:

I agree that many on this forum (and others) do not understand sarcasm.  It seems that unless you're a Brit, people think you are being serious.

To avoid this, I am forced to use [sarcasm]  [/sarcasm] tags.......

Seems to me that many take life and posts here far too seriously, they will never understand sarcasm, innuendo, 

irony, humour etc. and will be the first to make defensive comments against any response that's over their head. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, swissie said:

OK, lets ban sarcasm by governemental decree immediately.

We'l go with irony pure, black British homor or simply dirty sexist jokes (dirty sexist jokes caused more giggles by Females than Males, but that was 50 years ago).

I would call the government decrees ironic rather than sarcastic.

On 9/23/2021 at 6:44 PM, simon43 said:

To avoid this, I am forced to use [sarcasm]  [/sarcasm] tags.......

Yes, I do the same so people will understand. Kind of takes away from the original sarcasm but clears things up so you don't get the stupid responses. I think a lot of it is the different nationalities involved on this forum. I worked with a multi national crew in my work and noticed certain nationalities get each others sarcasm, others, not so much.

On 9/24/2021 at 1:51 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

I can not differentiate between ill-informed stupid comments and sarcastic comments .

Are the continuous "Brown envelope" comments sarcasm or do people think they are being insightful and knowledgeable ?

Writing "brown envelope" implies something which is known to anyone that actually knows anything about LOS, without having to go into detail, which may cause a problem for the poster. Basically shorthand.

Nothing to do with sarcasm IMO.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"Then there are one or two posters who leave confused smileys after almost every post."

There is one poster in particular who gives out many saddo emoticans very regularly. It is very common for him to give you a "like" or a "smiley" for your opinion, then a few days later he gives you a saddo for that same opinion.

Very regularly you will see a post with a lone saddo along with "likes" and/or "smileys". No prizes for guessing who that poster is.

and here I was thinking he was only giving me the saddo after almost every post I make.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Writing "brown envelope" implies something which is known to anyone that actually knows anything about LOS, without having to go into detail, which may cause a problem for the poster. Basically shorthand.

Nothing to do with sarcasm IMO.

The cavalcade of undercurrents that have plagued this forum and others like it [Thailand-themed] forever is that we will have a minor percentage of players have little or no associations with the thematic fare, therefore haven't a clue about such matters - yet go on to pretend that they do. All too common.....

What's more embarrassing, will be the crowd that have years of experience here and still don't have a clue.

16 hours ago, swissie said:

OK, lets ban sarcasm by governemental decree immediately.

We'l go with irony pure, black British homor or simply dirty sexist jokes (dirty sexist jokes caused more giggles by Females than Males, but that was 50 years ago).

Your first paragraph swissie , totaly agree , the gumant should ban sarcasm , there is far to much about , can we get a vax against it ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

Your first paragraph swissie , totaly agree , the gumant should ban sarcasm , there is far to much about , can we get a vax against it ?

So long as it's not a Chinese one, otherwise the problem will only increase... 

• Haha 2