People don't understand sarcasm on this forum?

Boarn

18 hours ago, alyx said:

Sarcasm is an art and not accessible to everyone whichever end one is on.

Add to this that readers tend to read in their own way and not in the way one has thought/written their sarcasm and you got the result: Confusion

Maybe a : ) or other emoticon of the kind ( if the latter is one ) would help

American chat sites sometimes use /s at the end of a sarcastic piece to signal the piece is … sarcastic.

The social media equivalent of canned laughter.

I see this foul practice and associate the /s symbol with ‘sad’

…. and will often pause, go out of my way to lash the poster mercilessly with my finest erudite born-and-bred native home-grown Pythonesque genuine sarcasm.
It never makes a dent.

Occasionally I’ll get an ‘Are you being sarcastic?’ but more often than not silence or a ‘?’.

They are beyond hope.

They had Joan Rivers and the technology to keep her alive at least in an AI/holographic form and blew it, choosing instead to steal The Office and convert it to slapstick.

As I get older and lazier I tend to resort to simple GIFS to indicate my displeasure to a particularly thick post.

My current fave …

F2B1094B-9849-42D3-A465-C95188F78679.gif

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BananaGuy said:

American chat sites sometimes use /s at the end of a sarcastic piece to signal the piece is … sarcastic.

The social media equivalent of canned laughter.

I see this foul practice and associate the /s symbol with ‘sad’

…. and will often pause, go out of my way to lash the poster mercilessly with my finest erudite born-and-bred native home-grown Pythonesque genuine sarcasm.
It never makes a dent.

Occasionally I’ll get an ‘Are you being sarcastic?’ but more often than not silence or a ‘?’.

They are beyond hope.

They had Joan Rivers and the technology to keep her alive at least in an AI/holographic form and blew it, choosing instead to steal The Office and convert it to slapstick.

As I get older and lazier I tend to resort to simple GIFS to indicate my displeasure to a particularly thick post.

My current fave …

F2B1094B-9849-42D3-A465-C95188F78679.gif

Why is sarcasm necessary? Some people get sarcasm and some people don't. Why discriminate? If you don't like something someone says, be brave, be straightforward. Say what you mean and mean what you say.  That way you can never complain that your imbecilic efforts at sarcasm have been wasted.

For many people on this forum English is a second language. So nuanced sarcasm can be difficult to understand unless one is a native speaker.

There are also people from all over the world. What is sarcastic to an English person might be offensive to an American and vice versa.

Finally, many people take life and themselves very seriously indeed. Frivolity, sarcasm and irony have no place in a serious world. Try your sarcasm in China or Russia and see how you go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scott Tracy said:

Why is sarcasm necessary? Some people get sarcasm and some people don't. Why discriminate? If you don't like something someone says, be brave, be straightforward. Say what you mean and mean what you say.  That way you can never complain that your imbecilic efforts at sarcasm have been wasted.

Well, that's no fun. 

The complexities should be balanced, as nature would have it. 

Some people don't get and never have. Some get it it and always have. And many more are indifferent and amused, as they don't give a rat's <deleted> one way or the other. 

The forced upon homogeny, regarding most everything, is dangerous path to explore. 

Edited by zzaa09
  • Like 1

you may forgot that many of the people here at TV/Aseannow are from many different countries and English may not be their 1st or their motherland language, some may have learned it at school and if I remember correctly schools don't teach slang and/or sarcasm..... also sarcasm and/or slang have different forms/meaning from different countries including but not exclusive to the UK vs the US vs Australia vs NZ etc..... and all are (or suppose to be) English speaking countries

BTW :  sarcasm intended  555

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

Sarcasm is a form of communication art that need to be mastered before applied, sarcasm is a tool to say what you want to say without offending anyone and still deliver your message... 

But you will always offend someone....

There are people who live to be offended, which is hilarious as being offended by what someone says means you value their opinion.

• Like 2

The forum moderator should filter stupid comments and topics. Move them and display them in a stupid topic category for the sarcasm addicts.

Sarcasm refers to the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say, especially in order to insult someone, or to show irritation, or just to be funny. ... Most often, sarcasm is biting, and intended to cause pain.