Alcohol

sambum

41 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Quite simply, many of the contributors to this forum enjoy having a drink in a bar, and are irked by the way in which the places which they frequent have been arbitrarily closed, for little apparent purpose, and with no apparent concern for those who own and work in them.

Enjoying a drink in a bar makes one neither a raving alcoholic nor a sex fiend with a semi permanent chemically induced erection.

In 95% of the establishments in the country having a drink would not increase ones susceptibility to infection any more than a trip to a supermarket, a ride on public transport or most other daily activities. 

I think your last statement may be a little narrow minded. We need to look at who works and runs bars and restaurants. Those low income earners that eat in large groups, live stacked together in rooms to save money and spend most of their free time In groups. 

Now throw in the farangs that like to sit around for a few hours in groups, with these locals who spend a lot of time in their groups, plus the slow but sure degradation of ‘infection controls’ as more alcohol is consumed, I feel it’s pretty obvious why they consider banning of alcohol in restaurants and closing of bars to be considered a pertinent decision. 

Edited by MadMuhammad
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Everyone and anyone continue to gather at homes in a social atmosphere enjoying the elixirs of choice and company. 

And then we read of police raids on private homes where friends have gathered for a drink and a neighbour has called in to say they are a health hazard.

But a message to the OP - it isn't just this government that is conducting a war against alcohol. It was during Thaksins's reign that the daytime ban of sales except between 11 and 2 was introduced, by a minister who wanted to close bars at 10pm and nightclubs at midnight. Meanwhile, the tourists they are trying to attract from Europe can drink in bars open until 6am if they want, with quality beer cheaper than they would have to pay in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apart from the restrictions on the times you can purchase where is it banned?

Last week four of us had wine with dinner at a restaurant in the center of Chiang Mai

Yesterday I paid for Thai whisky for some locals at a local “bar” who did some work for me and I bought a dozen bottles of wine from Makro

Maybe your looking in the wrong place ?

It is all about power. Look at Buddhist holidays, celebrated in Burma/Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand. Guess the only one country banning booze ......

Makes as much sense as the rule of no alcohol sales from midnight to 11am and 2pm to 5pm - shows only, how idiotic rulers decide and how nobody obeys the rules. 

A failed state, nothing else, Thailand is a failed state and - unlike most other failed states - this is due to their own politicians and people; Thailand cannot blame this on anybody else! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And then we read of police raids on private homes where friends have gathered for a drink and a neighbour has called in to say they are a health hazard.

But a message to the OP - it isn't just this government that is conducting a war against alcohol. It was during Thaksins's reign that the daytime ban of sales except between 11 and 2 was introduced, by a minister who wanted to close bars at 10pm and nightclubs at midnight. Meanwhile, the tourists they are trying to attract from Europe can drink in bars open until 6am if they want, with quality beer cheaper than they would have to pay in Thailand.

I cannot imagine why anyone would want to drink beer from 6am however cheap or good quality.

However if I was forced to live in Europe particularly during the winter months I might find it’s the only thing to get you through the day !!!!!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, sambum said:

Of course it's available - 711, Macro, Tesco etc etc.

I'm talking about sitting down in a bar or restaurant and having a social drink with your mates. That appears to have been outlawed, and anybody whe gets caught drinking illegally in a bar /restaurant faces a hefty fine and a night in the cells.

The way I am reading thesis government steps is not anti-alcohol but rather aimed at discouraging gatherings like the ones refer to as they have the potential of spreading Covid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I cannot imagine why anyone would want to drink beer from 6am however cheap or good quality.

However if I was forced to live in Europe particularly during the winter months I might find it’s the only thing to get you through the day !!!!!

I wrote until 6am, not from. But then, I've often had to be at railway stations or airports at 6am in Germany, Austria and Switzerland and there'd always be the odd few standing with a beer at that time. A bit like Pattaya in pre-Covid days, I suppose ????

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:
2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah drink driving is illegal, your point is ?

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

No drinking and driving....... If some one wants to drink he/she should not drive

Correct. In fact not even a passenger is allowed to drink alcohol in a moving vehicle. (to prevent temptation I presume)

I am told by my Thai friends that any and all legislation concerning alcoholic beverages is driven, or heavily influenced, by "religious" influences......especially Muslim, from spouses, relatives, etc. of politicians at the top of the tree, plus the fanatical tee-totalism of some.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Grusa said:

I am told by my Thai friends that any and all legislation concerning alcoholic beverages is driven, or heavily influenced, by "religious" influences......especially Muslim, from spouses, relatives, etc. of politicians at the top of the tree, plus the fanatical tee-totalism of some.

I think that this comment could be applied to just about every country in the world to a greater or lesser degree.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah drink driving is illegal, your point is ?

Point is you said you bought two cans of beer for your drive home. Now you could be trolling but many will assume that you drink and drive. If you do then your a total selfish douchebag and putting others at risk. However its quite likely that you don't drink and drive but maybe are a passenger or something like that. 

I mean who would admit to drinking and driving except evenkeel who has done so in the past and sees no problem in it.

I don't care what kind of drugs and alcohol people use, their problem but the moment it puts others at risk because they operate a vehicle they lose all my respect. Drink yourself to the limit use the drugs you want not my problem wont condemn it either. However if you bother others while doing so then its a different story.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Pravda said:

Lets try this.

What is it with forum posters obsession with the banning of alcohol?

Generally people move to these developing countries because they are more liberal and offer more freedom than their own. Having said that with Thailand's  high infection rate, the country probably should have been in a long lockdown with restaurants and bars closed. It's when alcohol is banned through shops that the ban becomes really draconian. I am sure this happened last year when Thailand locked down. I enjoy a drink at home every night and I certainly would not consider moving to a country that banned alcohol at all points of sale.

• Like 1