Alcohol

sambum

6 minutes ago, sambum said:

Of course it's available - 711, Macro, Tesco etc etc.

I'm talking about sitting down in a bar or restaurant and having a social drink with your mates. That appears to have been outlawed, and anybody whe gets caught drinking illegally in a bar /restaurant faces a hefty fine and a night in the cells.

No, not at all. 

Where is it written that one has to partake of a bar/pub/restaurant to imbibe? 

Everyone and anyone continue to gather at homes in a social atmosphere enjoying the elixirs of choice and company. 

I'm gonna guess that you limit your choice of company to Farang and the expected/predictable locales. 

4 hours ago, sambum said:

Because they're not used to Prohibition - and look where that ended up!

There's not a prohibition. 

Need to be a little more observant and knowledgeable - 

ฝรั่งไร้เดียงสาและขาดการเชื่อมต่อ

Edited by zzaa09

Yup. I really miss going out and drinking, watching a game together with the local expat crowd, sharing some stories. I often get asked what it's like in Thailand, and aside from interacting with the Thais themselves, I tell people it's like traveling the world, meeting all those who've come here as I did. You don't very well do that at a coffee shop or restaurant. The place is in a bar, with the good ol' social lubricant.

On yaba, you surely haven't missed all the pics in the news of the busts the cops love to trot out? The piles and piles of bundled pills and powders? That's just what they catch, imagine what gets away. Our here in the moo ban, a bit far from the towns and shops, I'm quite certain that yaba's a lot easier to get than alcohol, even moreso with these silly restrictions and bans, on particular days, times, and gatherings.

In my years here I've heard more than a few scuffles out in the soi where the moo ban comes to gather 'round. It's a dad and his son at it again. Son is a young man at home all day, won't go out to work, and in the shouting match the problem is revealed, it's the yaba. Fortunately this is all my local episodes have escalated to, I'm sure in the news you've seen much worse.

Oh well. Now with the rainy season comes fishing, and the cops can't bust my little parties way out in the countryside, down by the river. ????????

medication.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, chalawaan said:

In spite of this, there are far less assaults due to meth psychosis, which is the equivalent of raging alcoholism, than there are when yobbos simply get drunk.

Is that an absolute, relative or anecdotal statistic?

If it's an absolute statical it's hardly surprising, considering the drinker:meth head ratio.

If it's based on percentages then it is indeed a very surprising nuber.

9 hours ago, sambum said:

Of course it's available - 711, Macro, Tesco etc etc.

I'm talking about sitting down in a bar or restaurant and having a social drink with your mates. That appears to have been outlawed, and anybody whe gets caught drinking illegally in a bar /restaurant faces a hefty fine and a night in the cells.

So if someone can't have a social drink in a bar or restaurant then they "may well turn their attention to other "happiness invoking substances" and could possibly become a catalyst for a more serious form of drug addiction."? 

Sounds like they didn't need much to push them into being a drug addict. 

• Like 2