90 Day Visa

Hi All,

Hope you can help.

I am UK citizen working in Vietnam and want to get a 90 Day Visa and then change this to a visa based on marriage when I'm home in Thailand. Can I obtain the 90 Day Visa at the Thai Embassy here in Hanoi, Vietnam or do I have to return to UK to obtain my 90 day visa.

This would be a major pain if I have to fly all way to UK to get 90 day visa then fly all the way back to Thailand whereas now I'm 1 HR flight away here in Vietnam.

Cheers.

Edited by cranebuster
Spelling

You can apply for a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai at the embassy in Hanoi.

There is also a consulate in Ho Chi Minh city but info on their states the are closed due to covid 19.

I suggest you contact the embassy in Hanoi for info.

https://rtehanoi.thaiembassy.org/th/page/25985-ที่ตั้ง|location?menu=5d7de15d15e39c3484001b93

If from a country that qualifies for a visa exempt entry you could enter using it and then apply for the non-o visa a immigration. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank on the day you apply.

Thanks for reply guys. So that's easy then, I can enter Thailand on 30 days visa exempt (UK passport) then apply for visa based on marriage. I have 400,000 in Thai bank account and had a marriage visa before but due to covid and work commitments haven't been able to get home since Sept 2019. Last time I had 90 day visa from UK then applied for marriage visa in last 30 days. So this time I apply as soon as I can when I enter on visa exempt. Happy days

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cranebuster said:

. Last time I had 90 day visa from UK then applied for marriage visa in last 30 days. So this time I apply as soon as I can when I enter on visa exempt.

Not being picky. Just terms sometimes helps.

Yes enter visa exempt. Gives you 30 day permission of stay. 

Fortunately you have bank account in Thailand.

Obtain non O (based on marriage). You need 400k on day you apply. That gives you 90day permission of stay.

Then (as you mention) obtain a 12 months EXTENSION in the last 30 days (it's not a marriage visa but some call it that).

For the extension you need the 400k in bank for 2 months.

Keep the money in the bank for the 'under consideration period' after that you can use it.

Edited by DrJack54

14 minutes ago, cranebuster said:

Thanks for reply guys. So that's easy then, I can enter Thailand on 30 days visa exempt (UK passport) then apply for visa based on marriage.

You would a apply for a non-o visa that gives you a 90 day permit to stay. You will need at least 15 day remaining on the 30 days from the visa exempt entry or the 30 day extension of it.

The requirements for the visa application is here. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/6.pdf

Then you would apply for a extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage during the last 30 days of the 90 day permit to stay from the visa.

Ok thanks for the clarity guys, my confusion.

So exactly same as before then.

As for 400,000 I keep that in bank and never touch it. My security so I know I always have money for visa regardless of work situation.

I can't wait to get home, hopefully Nov or Dec.

See you guys for a beer sometime ????????

If you are going to continue working in Vietnam and will be coming and going then a 12 Month Multi Entry based on marriage is far easier.  No financial requirements, in fact very little paperwork other than your marriage documents and an invitation letter from your wife. That gives you multiple 90 day stays without either the paperwork or the waiting time to be able to apply for an extension in Thailand.

However, I think these are only available from the Consulate in Ho Chi Minh which as ubonjoe says, is closed at the moment - I seem to remember someone saying they are not available from Hanoi - I can't find any info on visas on their website other than for a volunteer visa.

One thing to watch though is that Thailand is slowly changing embassies and consulates over to E-Visa. If the happens in Vietnam, then only a single entry non o will be available and you will either need to prove legal residence in Vietnam or go back to the UK to get any non O visas, single or multi entry.

It would not surprise me at all if Thailand uses the 'break' created by the current restrictions on travel to change more offices over to E-Visa.

@KhaoYai Thanks for info. I am only working in Vietnam temporary, I work all over the world and will be here in Vietnam until Nov or Dec then home for a few months hopefully.

Hopefully once I get visa based on marriage again I can do same as before and make sure I'm home when it needs renewing. I used to do this before but Covid messed that up.

• Like 1