Thailand to Start Shipping Line to Boost Status as Logistics Hub

webfact

44 minutes ago, nausea said:

That tired and overused word "hub" should be banned from the lexicon of all Thais, unless it refers to the centre of an actual physical wheel.

The word "Hub" is an English word . Thais speak Thai. Hub is a translation for our benefit . 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Actually if you want to be specific,   it can be traced back to the ancient Sumerians and more specifically the city of Uruk where construction workers  on falafel break , every time a young maiden walked by would whistle and shout "Huba Huba".

So...how are the tomatoes coming along? ????

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

So...how are the tomatoes coming along? ????

I found out what you all already know.

The best place to grow tomatoes in Thailand  is at Tesco Lotus. LOL .

I did grow lots of tomato flowers though. Unfortunately they are tiny and don't taste good at all. 

Edited by sirineou
typo
  • Like 2

Another State owned enterprise. Start up costs will be a boon as they will need their own large space at the port, own vessels on contract and loads of containers. Should be good to watch. I'll get the popcorn and see if it ends up like Thai Airways.

• Like 2

Assume 1 container ship carries 5,000 containers, so how many trains or trucks would it take to move these containers from Chumpon to Ranong using this 'landbridge'? How about a supertanker? The sheer capacity of these tankers is enormous. Even if a pipeline is used, it would take 1 to 2 days to discharge, transport and refill a ship on the other side. That's just 1 ship.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sirineou said:

I found out what you all already know.

The best place to grow tomatoes in Thailand  is at Tesco Lotus. LOL .

I did grow lots of tomato flowers though. Unfortunately they are tiny and don't taste good at all. 

Through boredom i have had several attempts of tomato growing and all failed miserably, i have even made grobag type affairs but all to no avail.

• Like 1

After helping Port of Singapore with their computer and database needs, I wait to see what Thailand will do.  There are so many rules about which container loads can be loaded next to each other and more rules about where specific loads can be on a large container ship (for fire purposes).

Any downtime at a port costs a LOT of money ... 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:
5 hours ago, fangless said:

How does starting a shipping line ease the container shortage?

Please stop being logical.

Bigger budgets (scams) on a shipping line.

Perhaps it's time to consider to invest in a container manufacturing plant in Thailand...????

I've shipped stuff in and out of Thailand 3 times never went smoothly stuff coming in I was held at ransom to pay 'tea' money.

Sending stuff out of Thailand!  Don't bother it did eventually arrive at its destination every box and contents were damaged.

If successfully launched it will only prove to be another pie for sticky fingers to be dipped into. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fangless said:

Its a novel way to buy containers. Buy the ship, and they throw in the boxes. Naturally the potential to trouser a few accounting mistakes is vast! Amazing they never thought of it before. It makes submarine deals look amateur by comparison.

There's a container shortage as the RTP try to attract tourists with a daring new modern art installation in central Bangkok. it's an homage to the late wrapper of large things, Christo. I believe the working title is "Riot".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, fangless said:

Thailand used to make shipping containers that meets international standard. If there are money to be made,  I am sure someone will take this on. Non shipping container are still made here. 

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

and become a bigger player in global logistics as the Malacca bypass opens.

The so called 'Malacca bypass' is another Thai aspiration that involves building a shipping port on each side of the southern part of the country and linking them with road and rail presumably to trans-ship goods. This is supposed to save two days shipping time on the usual route via the Malacca Strait. The infamous Kra Canal resurrected and shelved every few years is now deemed to be 'to environmentally unfriendly. It has not been explained how the costs of trans-shipping would be cost effective.