ATM card malfunction

Yes it happened to me once. It was the machine that malfunctioned, not the card.

I went into the bank the next day and they raised a ticket. The money was returned to my account within a few days. It was a Thai bank account, though, not a foreign one.

47 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Report it and they will check ATM end of day and you should get a refund, might happen automatically but best to report it

33 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Yes it happened to me once. It was the machine that malfunctioned, not the card.

I went into the bank the next day and they raised a ticket. The money was returned to my account within a few days. It was a Thai bank account, though, not a foreign one.

I reported it to my bank in Aust same day , following day drove 70 km to closest Bangkok bank branch, they told me contact my bank for them to follow up, 10 weeks later still waiting to get my 25,000 baht to be returned to my account

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Hoppyone said:

I reported it to my bank in Aust same day , following day drove 70 km to closest Bangkok bank branch, they told me contact my bank for them to follow up, 10 weeks later still waiting to get my 25,000 baht to be returned to my account

how about the branch where you used the ATM? they should have seen what notes were left end of day. 10 weeks later looks like you missed the boat

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

how about the branch where you used the ATM? they should have seen what notes were left end of day. 10 weeks later looks like you missed the boat

Live in remote rural area ATM not at branch ,i drive to closest bank branch 70 km away, but  once reported it's up to my bank in Australia to follow up on my behalf, 

58 minutes ago, JayClay said:

My card didn't malfunction, ATM didn't dispense cash  but my account via debit card was debited 

6 minutes ago, Hoppyone said:

Live in remote rural area ATM not at branch ,i drive to closest bank branch 70 km away, but  once reported it's up to my bank in Australia to follow up on my behalf, 

Yeah good point and what did your Australian bank say? seems you need to get them to compensate you

Edited by scubascuba3

Report it to the bank that issued the card, not to the bank that owns the ATM. It's happened to me twice (domestic banks and ATM's); things were rectified in 3 -4 days.  Thai bank staff won't know nor care why an international ATM didn't work, and will blame the non-Thai bank.    Internationally it probably takes longer to get your money back.

Edited by allane
x

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah good point and what did your Australian bank say? seems you need to get them to compensate you

Still trying to get my money back but at this stage Westpac bank customer service agents , in my opinion been very incompetent, but very good at giving standard replies , such as thank you for your patience & very sorry about your Circumstances 

12 minutes ago, Hoppyone said:

Still trying to get my money back but at this stage Westpac bank customer service agents , in my opinion been very incompetent, but very good at giving standard replies , such as thank you for your patience & very sorry about your Circumstances 

escalate to management, maybe they've outsourced to India and you are getting first level dross, you've waited long enough

Happened to me once a few years ago. It was automatically corrected. I saw the amount reversed (a "reversal or credit adjustment" in bank lingo) less than an hour after the transaction. It's almost like their computers talk to each others sans human intervention and correct themselves. My account was overseas. The offending ATM was a Kasikorn one.

Perhaps I've been lucky, but I've never had any problems with Thailand ATMs....zero problems in 15+ years.  And this after making hundreds of withdrawals using both Thai bank cards and US bank cards.  You were unlucky.  I do wonder about the difficulty of convincing your bank that no cash was dispense even though their transaction records indicate otherwise.  I suppose machine records can indicate the imbalance, but I'd imagine that would take some time.  Good luck with that.

On 9/26/2021 at 1:47 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Report it and they will check ATM end of day and you should get a refund, might happen automatically but best to report it

I can help, or at least answer you with this as I am currently going through it.

I withdrew 20,000 baht on my Cambodian card at an ATM operated by SCB bank. It came up ' communications error ' When I got home I checked online and the cash had been debited and I had nothing to show for it.

I returned immediately and went in to SCB bank who telephoned Bangkok and I spoke to a lady there from Head office.

I had to return to the machine which had a four digit number on the outside and gave it to her after taking a photo of said machine which I forwarded through my phone. I then gave her my card details and the time approximately.

I wrote this details down as she informed me it would be a bank to bank discussion to sort it out. She told me to report it to my own bank in Cambodia which I have done.

I have since provided all the details to my Cambodian bank who are dealing with SCB direct. This occurred on August 17th and still not resolved.

The reason for this is I used a foreign card and not a local card for the ATM withdrawal. She said they could resolve local transactions fairly speedily but foreign bank cards there is a different procedures to follow.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2021 at 5:40 PM, Hoppyone said:

I don't have any experience of it happening here, although it did happen to me at a non ATM machine in Sydney which wasn't an ATM machine owned by my bank, e.g. I tried to withdraw $1,000 and the ATM machine, it gave me back my card, and the statement but no cash, it was clear that $1,000 was withdrawn on the slip, so I walked into the branch and they said, they can't touch the ATM, they have to wait for the contractor to come in the morning as they also fill it at the same time and report any discrepancies, e.g. money that was not dispensed, e.g. probably ran out of money. The bank did take my details down at my request, but said I had to contact my bank.

I also contacted my bank and they confirmed what the other bank said and stated that the contractor would notify them if there was a discrepancy and that the funds will be returned to my account, which was done in a couple of days thankfully, nerve racking stuff.

I hope in your case that it gets sorted, but your bank can only do so much being back in Oz, e.g. waiting for the bank here to get in touch with them, sounds suspect to me that it's taking so long, just hope the machine wasn't tampered with as they used to tamper with them in the older days, then you would leave and someone would go back over and take your money, alternatively if it is a contractor that has to report the discrepancy as was the case with my money not coming out, why is it taking so long, e.g. is he still working for the company, now Thailand being Thailand, I have heard tellers skimming people's money when depositing money in banks, just saying.

Anyway, would keep the pressure on the bank, but I don't like your chances personally, not wanting to come across as being negative, but a lot of time has lapsed.  

Appreciate you live out of town, would suggest you stay away from any ATM machines unless located outside a branch as I am pretty sure they have CCTV monitors looking at the ATM machines and can see if anyone is/has tampered with the ATM machine/s and they usually have security guards there during the day making it harder to tamper with the ATM machines, alternatively make cash withdrawals from I think it's Krungsri Bank, the one with the yellow and black logo, of up to 150,000 baht for like 250 baht.

On 9/26/2021 at 2:40 PM, Hoppyone said:

I answered this in another post buddy, AI am having same problem.

On 9/26/2021 at 2:40 PM, Hoppyone said:

In my experience OZy banks are the worst.

Happened to me one time in Bangkok, I went with my BBL card to another banks ATM, Machine was spinning cash inside for like 10 minutes, then I got my card back and an error message and the ATM went in to none functional state. I checked the balance on my Bank app and the money was withdrawn. I called the phone number stated on the ATM, and the they told me to call the Bank that issued my card. I called BBL, and they say, no problem your money will be back in a few days, and I believe it was the day after they were back.

Picture below happened to me another time I took out money in Bangkok. But I got my money just nicely, and just had to press those buttons to get receipt or not with out seeing them before i got my card back.

IMG_1322.thumb.JPG.a96658f78782cbb54ea2844e8ff36761.JPG

Edited by Eaglekott
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

Picture below happened to me another time

There was no "spit out all" button :biggrin:

I once managed to crash a KBank ATM while trying to register my card for online purchase. After Windows logo passed I fortunately got my card back.

On 9/27/2021 at 3:54 PM, Scouse123 said:

I can help, or at least answer you with this as I am currently going through it.

I withdrew 20,000 baht on my Cambodian card at an ATM operated by SCB bank. It came up ' communications error ' When I got home I checked online and the cash had been debited and I had nothing to show for it.

I returned immediately and went in to SCB bank who telephoned Bangkok and I spoke to a lady there from Head office.

I had to return to the machine which had a four digit number on the outside and gave it to her after taking a photo of said machine which I forwarded through my phone. I then gave her my card details and the time approximately.

I wrote this details down as she informed me it would be a bank to bank discussion to sort it out. She told me to report it to my own bank in Cambodia which I have done.

I have since provided all the details to my Cambodian bank who are dealing with SCB direct. This occurred on August 17th and still not resolved.

The reason for this is I used a foreign card and not a local card for the ATM withdrawal. She said they could resolve local transactions fairly speedily but foreign bank cards there is a different procedures to follow.

Ok thanks yes identical situation I've done all that as well through Westpac bank,ATM was Bangkok bank ,happened on 19th July still waiting for it to be resolved 

I had a BKB transaction for a thousand baht withdrawal malfunction. The ATM did not dispense and eventually returned my card for my inaction. The currancy port lit up  red. Then shutdown and went out of order. I made contact with them and knew that the camera recording would back me up. A few days later I saw the online return.

On 9/27/2021 at 3:56 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Appreciate you live out of town, would suggest you stay away from any ATM machines unless located outside a branch as I am pretty sure they have CCTV monitors looking at the ATM machines and can see if anyone is/has tampered with the ATM machine/s and they usually have security guards there during the day making it harder to tamper with the ATM machines, alternatively make cash withdrawals from I think it's Krungsri Bank, the one with the yellow and black logo, of up to 150,000 baht for like 250 baht.

Krungsri Bank ATMs allow only up to 30,000 baht (the most of any Thai ATM) per withdrawal and charges 200 baht if you are using a foreign ATM card.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hoppyone said:

Ok thanks yes identical situation I've done all that as well through Westpac bank,ATM was Bangkok bank ,happened on 19th July still waiting for it to be resolved 

Hi,

I sent an email yesterday to the SCB bank in Thailand direct with all my information regarding the incident on August 17th. I was fed up going and sending emails via my bank in Cambodia who as far as I am concerned, are taking too long.

I told them I had been in contact with Canadia bank who in turn had emailed SCB bank, but this was taking too long now. My bank in Cambodia said they were not getting a response from SCB bank in Thailand, I have just got one the same day.

They have responded asking for my card number and the amount I had tried to withdraw and said this will enable them to check the log report.

They wanted the terminal ATM number, and date and time but these I had already provided to them.

They have said this will enable them to verify my claim. I will keep you updated.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, skatewash said:

Krungsri Bank ATMs allow only up to 30,000 baht (the most of any Thai ATM) per withdrawal and charges 200 baht if you are using a foreign ATM card.

Apologies, I should have been more specific, "over the counter" withdrawal for up to 150,000 baht per day. Krungsri bank charged me 200 baht only for the withdrawal.

I did it once in 2018 as I needed a large sum of money for that day and didn't want to pay 200 plus baht for every 30,000 baht transaction at my local SCB ATM machine. 

All one needs is their ATM Debit card, mine is a Visa Debit card so I get the visa rate on the day, not the banks ATM rate, Visa usually gives a better rate than the banks here, so that's important, and your passport, withdraw the 150k baht, pay 200 baht and Bob's your uncle as they say.

Best to check with the bank on the above, because we are now in 2021 so my experience was 3 years ago, but saved me 900 baht in ATM fees at the time.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Thanks 1