Wireless Router Recommendations

alexth

I do like the linksys routers, WRT54GS is a nice one.

Of course it all depends on what you are looking for, most newer routers come with many features, often these can be extended by using opensource firmware like OpenWRT or DD-WRT. which gives you more options in terms of features.

Incidentally I ordered a Asus WLG500P, should arrive any minute, this one has two USB ports (for printer or NAS) and has more flash memory then my current linksys, so I can run more advanced firmware.

But for basic usage, the first mentioned linksys is excellent. Good wireless coverage, strong signal, and good throughput. Very stable as well.

Always use Belkin myself, never had problems.

Well, I have one problem. MSN, not working, Microsoft windows update, not working, EVE Online, not working, FlashGet working bugged, a few sites that are not opening and so on and all that since I've switched to Belkin, no other modifications to my system

Seconded. This is the workhorse amongst the routers, and you can get a free open source firmware for it which can do all sorts of things, dd-wrt

I don't have one but if I would buy a new one that's the one I would get. I also bought one for a friend, he's had no problems.

I have DLink routers which are very good but the setup of these is a huge pain. And I am saying that as somebody who's running a network of 5 of them and knows them inside out. The web interface is just retarded for the DLink. I have DWL-2100 APs. I do have to say the hardware is excellent though, I can't recall an outage, eh, ever. They run 24/7, they work 24/7. For 2 years straight.

It's funny, the last linksys I had went down in exactly one year. I had the first one and I've considered it bad luck. Last week, the 2nd one went down after an year of home use. I don't know what to think anymore. I knew that the best you can get are either Linksys or either Belkin, I have(had) both of them and it's no good. Hence, the Belkin is playing a very ugly trick on me right now (the faults mentioned in my previous post). :o

It's funny, the last linksys I had went down in exactly one year. I had the first one and I've considered it bad luck. Last week, the 2nd one went down after an year of home use. I don't know what to think anymore. I knew that the best you can get are either Linksys or either Belkin, I have(had) both of them and it's no good. Hence, the Belkin is playing a very ugly trick on me right now (the faults mentioned in my previous post). :o

They are electronical devices, they can break, my previous router (USR) went down after two years of duty. Anyway I'm not a huge fan of Belkin, but you might want to check out their website, maybe other people (via forums there) have a solution to most of your problems, one thing that can do wonders is upgrading firmware.

It would be nice if you could be more specific about the problems you have had with your routers. Is it possible that there is an issue with your system? Earlier you stated that you have made no changes to your system, but bear in mind that MS makes changes (especially if you have previously been getting updates).

Verify that you router has been assigned a valid IP address by your provider, and that you have valid Gateway and DNS IP addresses (it is always preferable to have 2 or more DNS addresses).

In Windows, open a Command window (DOS shell) and run the "ipconfig" command. Verify your router has assigned your system a valid IP.

Once you have obtained access to the web, go to your router manufacturer's website to see if there are any firmware updates available for your router. If so, download the update(s) and install it.

As for myself, I use the Linksys WRT54G. I have had it for two years, used it in 4 different states (in the US), an I have had no troubles whatsoever.

I have DLink routers which are very good but the setup of these is a huge pain. And I am saying that as somebody who's running a network of 5 of them and knows them inside out. The web interface is just retarded for the DLink. I have DWL-2100 APs. I do have to say the hardware is excellent though, I can't recall an outage, eh, ever. They run 24/7, they work 24/7. For 2 years straight.

Agreed. To setup via web address, use the cable that comes with it. Direct LAN. Good for security.

Don't load the "Access Point Managment" software. It will cause the blue screen of death.

Hardware is great. Doesn't run hot. Price is around 2,000 baht

Seconded. This is the workhorse amongst the routers, and you can get a free open source firmware for it which can do all sorts of things, dd-wrt

Thirded (can I say that?) the G or GS work nicely (well they do for me anyway).

BUT make sure you get one with a version number of LESS than 4. See the dd-wrt site for details of how to tell the version from the serial number (without opening the packaging) also several reviews of dd-wrt compatible routers to help with your choice.

Try a hard reboot. Maybe you tried to update the firmware and something went wrong which corrupted the firewall settings. Belkin's main known problem. Hard reboot and do not try to update firmware ever. Hope that helps. Also obviously login to the router and actually check what your firewall settings are- you might have it defaulted to a very restrictive wall.

For a new wireless router I can advice the D-link DSL-2640 which has a setup wizard which get you online in minutes. Wireless in 2 or 4 minutes more.

Basically you only need to know which ISP you use and your user name and password.

One feature to look for on a WiFi "N" router or access point might be a gigabit LAN port, versus the usual 100/10 LAN port.

If the "N" wireless standard gets implemented with a degree of efficiency, you might see throughput of over 100Mbps. It would be frustrating to know that a router can transmit >100Mbps, but the data fed into it through the RJ45 port is capped at 100Mpbs.

(Of course, it would help if your host computer also had gigabit LAN...)

i bought a Netgear router last week from the iStudio store in Paragon. Works a dream. I have my iMac connected to it by cable and now use my powerbook around the apartment. It has a range of 100ft or more.

Bizarrely it came with hugely complex instructions. Complete was of time. I plugged in the power, plugged in the ADSL cable, connected the router to the iMac and powered up.

All systems running, including the wireless which I'm using now as I type.

Perfect.

Since I had some bad luck with the last router I bought, what would you people recommend?

Many of the router brands here will do just fine, personally I use D-link, the important consideration is to eliminate the router provided by TTT (or who ever).

The reason is for troubleshooting purposes.

So when you purchase your wireless router make sure it is a DSL router so your phone line plugs directly into your wireless eliminating the TTT router. Now you will only have one device to troubleshoot when you have internet problems, and trust me for every router problem you have you will have 1000 provider problems.