friend coming to live in Thailand.

A friend of mine is coming to Thailand to live.He is married to a Thai lady and at the moment they are both

still living in the Netherlands.

He is aiming for November to come here and they have had to postpone moving here for a few times already.

What is the best option for him as far as a visa goes?

He would like to get an exstension based on marriage .

What visa should he get in Holland before coming over?

He has asked over there but he is getting different opinions from different agencies.

I note that the question was actually what type of visa should he get.

To apply for an extension to stay in Thailand, with his wife, he will first need a 'non O imm visa'.  This can be obtained from the Thai embassy in his home country or he can arrive on a normal tourist visa and then apply for a conversion to a 'non O imm' at his local immigration office.

I didn't do it the latter way so I don't know the details, but I believe he would have to prove his financials at that time. Perhaps @ubonjoe could come back on that aspect?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

I didn't do it the latter way so I don't know the details, but I believe he would have to prove his financials at that time. Perhaps @ubonjoe could come back on that aspect?

He would have to have 400k baht in a Thai bank on the day he applies or proof of 40k baht income from his embassy to apply for the non-o visa.

IMO it is best to get the non-o visa from a Thai embassy since they are relatively easy to get.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He would have to have 400k baht in a Thai bank on the day he applies or proof of 40k baht income from his embassy to apply for the non-o visa.

IMO it is best to get the non-o visa from a Thai embassy since they are relatively easy to get.

That's how I did it as well. I was able to use my pension statements as proof of income.

Get your foreign marriage certificate affirmed by the Thai embassy before you leave (affidavit). After arrival in Thailand get the document with the affidavit translated to Thai, but you might want to check with the Amphoe first which translation offices they accept. Bring this to the Amphoe (city or district administration office) to register your marriage, after which you can apply for an extension of stay based on marriage at the province or district immigration office. You also need 400k Baht in a Thai bank account in your name (no joint account) for 2 month prior application, but you normally cannot open the account before you get the visa. Go to immigration first, they will give you a 60 day extension which allows you to open the bank account. There are other requirements which even vary by province, so I suggest you get some advice from the immigration office on this. Some effort but easy to do.

• Like 2