AMG C43 Coupe - good choice of car for Thailand?

CrossBones

On 10/1/2021 at 12:29 PM, pedro01 said:

BTW - My take on the free servicing - I am not a fan. It isn't free, so you are paying for servicing up front - something I would prefer not to do as I don't even know if I will have the car through the period.

The warranty though - I'll take that. Just never had to use the warranty on a Benz.

Funnily enough - I used to live in Japan and I started and ran the Thai branch of a subsidiary of a Japanese tech firm here.

When Toyota went to the US - they got an immediate reputation for amazing quality and reliability. It turns out (this is what Toyota execs told me), that they over-engineered for reliability because they didn't have the support network in the US to handle cars coming back with issues. You might have presumed that everyone was making them as well as they could and the Japanese were simply better - but they sunk a larger amount into that side of things because of lack of men on the ground. 

Mind you - that does not excuse BMW and this

• A gearbox that went on day 9 and I returned the car
  • The return car blowing the gearbox on week 9 and I returned the car
  • I talked to Cesar Badilla - Director or Aftersales BMW Thailand - got a full refund and then told him "OK - now - if you want me to spend this on another BMW, tell me what has a different gearbox from that one and get me a big discount" - and they did
  • 2 Fuel Pumps on that one - but to be fair - when the 2nd one went, they found the issue was the pumps getting gunked up from the fuel here - I switched to a different brand and all good 
  • I also had one out of warranty issue that they fixed on warranty anyway

It's not great I know quality-wise - but the way they treated me - even when asking for money back - was stellar. Their cars are a lot of fun to drive and I still have a soft spot for them. How many car companies would give you access to one of their senior directors? And also - at that point, the dealer was already telling me "look - if BMW don't sort you out, we will".

So when I'm looking for a car and I go to BMW - I have no doubt I will be well looked after, whatever happens and I find that rare nowadays.

Ill try again. What petrol were you using , and what make did you switch to after your pump failed.

• Haha 2

On 10/5/2021 at 6:14 PM, leba said:

I wonder if when we will be old we will be ugly and stupid cheap charliers as so many old men in Thailand ? Can you imagine yourself driving a toyota at 60 or 70 ? it seems impossible for me that I lose my balls so early !

Yea..and when you turn 80, it's time to ditch the AMG for a Ducati Panigale.

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2021 at 4:11 PM, pedro01 said:

I think you mean warranty.

A company with a very low quality product would not open themselves up to the risk of a long term commitment to fix all issues. It would be cost prohibitive.

The warranty actually tells us it's not too bad there. It also tells us that most likely - companies like ZF that make the gearboxes are bearing some of the brunt if there is a fail there. 

so wrong.

the only reason why they give 5 years BSI is to allow cheap charlies to buy BMW (not you I know), this is the only reason why BMW sells more around the world than Mercedes.

• Like 1

Just now, thvima said:

At least 1 person with style on this forum ❤️

On 10/15/2021 at 2:13 PM, mavi said:

so wrong.

the only reason why they give 5 years BSI is to allow cheap charlies to buy BMW (not you I know), this is the only reason why BMW sells more around the world than Mercedes.

yes I often read this story. Same as Mitsubishi, they hardly discount aircon when Daikin wants to sell more at any price, just like BMW.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 2:29 PM, pedro01 said:

I regularly drive to Sakorn - it's about 900k - roads are great.

Same driving to Koh Chang.

Same driving to Pattaya.

Same driving to everywhere I go - I mean there are some <deleted> roads - but they are still roads. 

This is a C43 - not a Lambo with 3 inches of ground clearance. Always amazes me people driving these massive 4WD cars to Lotus and School runs - as if they might hit some Jungle on the way.

I mean - look @ that thing - it's got an elephant trunk on it - you know - just in case you have to cross a river - which we all know - is quite common on the way to 7-11 to pick up a new toothbrush.

It is in Pattaya during rainy season

On 10/20/2021 at 11:24 PM, Rampant Rabbit said:

does it waft mosquito repellant out of the air vents then?

The shape of the airflow around the car doesn't allow mosquitos to enter the cabin at speeds of 40km/h or more. At lower speeds the roof can be closed in under 20 seconds.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 11:11 AM, wprime said:

The shape of the airflow around the car doesn't allow mosquitos to enter the cabin at speeds of 40km/h or more. At lower speeds the roof can be closed in under 20 seconds.

Well I will definitely buy one now...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...