UK visit visa rejected - should I apply for EU Irish visit visa

You can see the refusal letter from the UK embassy on my last thread I'm now wondering since my partner has been refused a visitor's visa to the UK,    would now be advisable for me to go down the EU route.

I have dual citizenship I hold an Irish passport and I also hold a British passport,.      many years ago I got my first wife back here using my Irish EU\ EEA visa route,   the UK Border Agency or embassy whatever just seem to be very difficult to deal with.      I am sick at the moment and I get welfare benefits due to having kidney failure but I am due to get a transplant within the next year therefore I will start work within the EU  or ireland. (    

My biggest issue in my life at the moment is getting back on my feet and getting my partner out of Thailand and home here in Ireland or the UK with me. 

I really need the find way whatever the cost.

Thanks for any advice that you can throw my way ????????????

Edited by nomad2019

This post, and your previous post have been about the fact that your partner has been trying to get a visit visa for the UK. Now you say that you want to get your partner "out of Thailand and back home in Ireland or the UK with me."  That doesn't sound like a visit visa application ?   If you want your partner to live with you (and the ECO will be wondering why you don't, if you are seriously ill) then why don't you apply for a settlement visa for her ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tony M said:

Why is that ?

The big question immigration have in mind regarding a visitors visa is..... "what is there to make your partner want to return to Thailand"?.

Kids? Property? Work? Her own business?

Had lots of dealings with the UK visa system over the years.....any suspicion she might remain illegally and they refuse out of hand.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tony M said:

This post, and your previous post have been about the fact that your partner has been trying to get a visit visa for the UK. Now you say that you want to get your partner "out of Thailand and back home in Ireland or the UK with me."  That doesn't sound like a visit visa application ?   If you want your partner to live with you (and the ECO will be wondering why you don't, if you are seriously ill) then why don't you apply for a settlement visa for her ?

thanks tony,      but the visitor's visa we want is a first stepping stone in a long-term goal,.   Of course we want to marry,. But we need to marry later as I'm still married albeit separated 7-8 years now, cvd19 has held up my divorce to my ex wife.     Once my divorce is through I will marry my partner and then I will try for marriage visa or whatever.

And yes my post does smack of desperation but we both are committed to each other as we have been together 3 years now and I'm not prepared to let this go,.  What is the alternative of just to give up and throw in the towel and tell her we are finished .

so frustrating ????

1 minute ago, nomad2019 said:

thanks tony,      but the visitor's visa we want is a first stepping stone in a long-term goal,.   Of course we want to marry,. But we need to marry later as I'm still married albeit separated 7-8 years now, cvd19 has held up my divorce to my ex wife.     Once my divorce is through I will marry my partner and then I will try for marriage visa or whatever.

And yes my post does smack of desperation but we both are committed to each other as we have been together 3 years now and I'm not prepared to let this go,.  What is the alternative of just to give up and throw in the towel and tell her we are finished .

so frustrating ????

It's not a requirement to be married to get a UK Settlement visa, as long as you can prove the relationship is genuine.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's not a requirement to be married to get a UK Settlement visa, as long as you can prove the relationship is genuine.  

thanks, i did not know that,     but surely the visitor visa is easier and first stepping stone towards a longer term goal ?  

Edited by nomad2019

1 hour ago, nomad2019 said:

thanks, i did not know that,     but surely the visitor visa is easier and first stepping stone towards a longer term goal ?  

Not if her ultimate intention is to settle in the UK. A visitor visa is really for tourists. In any case, as she has already been denied, the Settlement visa would make sense, if you meet the requirements. Unless, of course, you're not sure you want to live together in the UK. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

The original question still stands would it be easier to go down the EU route Irish passport route application instead of going through the UK????

thanks everyone ????

I don't have much direct experience in what were EU applications, and much has changed since the UK's exit from the EU.  There was, previously, a route to settlement through being a dependant of an EU citizen, but dual Irish/British nationals were barred from that route.  I see several problems with your plan(s) - you are not married to your partner, so any application will probably be for a visit visa (unless you have lived together for two years) or you become free to marry. We don't know the background to your relationship, so it's impossible to comment on that relationship.  I don't see that there is much, if any, difference in whether you sponsor the application as a British citizen or an Irish citizen if a visit is intended, if the application is to visit the UK. An application to visit the Irish republic would be, I think, a Schengen visa application, but you don't live in Ireland.  Either way, you have the two previous visa application refusals to overcome.

As an Irish/EU citizen you might qualify for a non-EU national to join you, but that will, I think, depend on you being married or in a "durable relationship" (normally having lived together for at least two years).   I have attached two links to the Citizens Advice Bureau (which is possibly easier to understand than the UKVI guidance).

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/immigration/getting-a-visa-for-your-partner-to-live-in-the-uk/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/immigration/bringing-family-to-live-in-the-uk-after-brexit

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, howerde said:

It looks as if you would need to be married or unmarried partner (this means living together  for 2 years as a married couple) , have a read

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/apply-joining-person-of-northern-ireland

cheers,   getting married is our only option for the future,

going to take time ????

Ever thought of getting your partner here to study? A pricy option but would give the opportunity to get the living together ticked off. 

That's what my wife did. She had a Thai bachelors degree and came to UK to study a masters degree. She had option to stay in UK after. Before her visa expired, she got a partner visa. I had to work abroad and we got married there, came back to UK as a spouse and start process again. She just became a citizen after 5 years. Bonus with a UK degree is that it satisfies the English requirement too. 

On 9/30/2021 at 1:35 PM, talahtnut said:

The Irish route worked well for a friend who had difficulties with

UK Embassy, but that was 10 years ago, but it must be worth

your time researching.

yes,

the UK have been ???????????? to deal with all my past applications

Edited by nomad2019