Lessons to be learned about Thailand's reopening - targets were not met in Phuket and Samui

webfact

typical thai assbackwards thinking.

the thai media says these are the reasons we think that the numbers arent being hit

why bother finding out the reasons why tourists arent coming from potential tourists.

its the same as when the government says they want to have "high quality" tourists visit, without thinking what is it that these types of people would want in a place, and first setting those conditions up first.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 9:56 AM, FritsSikkink said:

Curfew

No bars

No entertainment

No alcohol in restaurants

That will stop a lot of people to come for a holiday. How many of the 37000 foreigners where not tourists?

All I knew which entered in the Country with Sandbox are friends living in Thailand which had to go abroad and come back, not proper tourists -Sandbox being better then a quarantine in boring Bangkok hotel

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NicoBKK said:

All I knew which entered in the Country with Sandbox are friends living in Thailand which had to go abroad and come back, not proper tourists -Sandbox being better then a quarantine in boring Bangkok hotel

I knew one that returned for his family.  But of course any tourist that did the sandbox no doubt was planning on staying a long time, several months or more.  That makes the sandbox quarantine time pallatable and a means to an end.  I have been on the fence to head to Thailand for my semi retirement, but am preferring to wait a bit to see how they finally sort out COVID and entry and travel, etc.

On 9/29/2021 at 3:27 AM, webfact said:

So why did the pilots have such low numbers?

Because of all the rules and red tape, obviously.

Ironically, now that Delta has taken hold, Thailand have little to lose by opening the floodgates and letting people in. If Thailand was still "covid free", there is no way they would be considering this.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 9:39 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

How do they not even get the basics of tourism, jeeez...

People don't book last minute and fly to thailand, most people plan their holiday way in advance and have already booked elsewhere, there is no pent up demand for people going to Thailand - they just go to places that are easier to enter and have already booked their stays there most likely.

The time to have a plan was last year not 1 month before high season. 

Yep quite agree with you on that one, many many years back when I used to holiday here [ been living here 10 years ] I would get back to work and stick in my leave chit for my next month away in 6 months time, book a cheap flight, phone my mate who owned the hotel and book my room, job done, ????

29 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Yep quite agree with you on that one, many many years back when I used to holiday here [ been living here 10 years ] I would get back to work and stick in my leave chit for my next month away in 6 months time, book a cheap flight, phone my mate who owned the hotel and book my room, job done, ????

It is also the way I would do it back in the early 2000's, but most of the time I was booking over 9 months away before my scheduled 3 week vacation as that was the furthest out and cheapest flights I could find on Korean Air from the states.  A friend who wanted to come in November always made her flights last minute as she always seemed to find a cheap cattle class seat as they were trying to fly with a full plane.  Seems that can not be done at the moment and is causing folks some grief as they have hoops to jump through. 

• Like 1

was always an experiment, to generate “lessons learned” , for continous improvement.

targets ? unnecessary & stupid ,predictably invited widespread ridicule of whole scheme, when not met, which undermined the necessary idea being experimented…….those lessons need to be properly implemented though…….

On 9/29/2021 at 9:53 PM, poskat said:

typical thai assbackwards thinking.

the thai media says these are the reasons we think that the numbers arent being hit

why bother finding out the reasons why tourists arent coming from potential tourists.

its the same as when the government says they want to have "high quality" tourists visit, without thinking what is it that these types of people would want in a place, and first setting those conditions up first.

Remember, this is the government that sent a crack inspection team to Pattaya to look for prostitution and they found none!

• Haha 1