American man arrested for rape of massage worker in Khon Kaen

Jonathan Fairfield

20 hours ago, EricTh said:

There is nothing tattooed on the forehead but there is such a thing called "certificate of good conduct" for those who want to stay in Thailand for more than x months.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/criminal-record-checks.html#:~:text=Go to your local police,history of a criminal record.

If his age is 37 ( but looks older ) he cant get a retirement Visa and I'm sure you only need police certificate for a retirement visa 

23 hours ago, DrMJA said:
23 hours ago, Seismic said:

Not sure what you are reading but pretty much all of that is incorrect.

Oh and you magically have all the evidence and complete information available to you.

No, but he can read and correctly interpret what was actually reported!

5 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

It's been 24 hours now. Has he been released on bail yet? That surely is his Thai human right along with all the Thai's that are bailed for even more serious crimes.

"All the Thais" that you refer to had someone to provide the bail requirements, obviously.   Bail is not a Thai human right, foreigners get bail also.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I don’t quite understand how the Thai police caught him so quickly. Motorcycle had no plates. Did he give the massage shop his passport?

The massage shop provided a picture of him from its CCTV.

Perhaps he had (foolishly) gone to a condo/hotel the address of which he had provided when he entered the country?   Perhaps he had to show his passport when he checked in?   Perhaps, with his distinctive bike and the media attention, he was recognised?

He's obviously an idiot so perhaps he went for drink in the area and someone saw him and said, "hey, you're that Khon Kaen rapist and child abuser!"

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The massage shop provided a picture of him from its CCTV.

Perhaps he had (foolishly) gone to a condo/hotel the address of which he had provided when he entered the country?   Perhaps he had to show his passport when he checked in?   Perhaps, with his distinctive bike and the media attention, he was recognised?

He's obviously an idiot so perhaps he went for drink in the area and someone saw him and said, "hey, you're that Khon Kaen rapist and child abuser!"

Indeed, they say it was his 90 day report address.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

It's been 24 hours now. Has he been released on bail yet? That surely is his Thai human right along with all the Thai's that are bailed for even more serious crimes.

anyone found his Facebook page yet? if it's anything like the other American who was let go after killing the aussie we should see a post on facebook of him being back home

2 hours ago, Dont confuse me said:

Attempted to attack and rape a 12 Yr old girl!  And then goes on to actually rape a 45 Yr old woman.

You would have thought the 12 Yr old would have been the easier victim!

Pretty poor reporting of facts in this matter.

At least he hasn't admitted anything yet. 

I wonder if there will be a complete breakdown of the events.

Other way around:

spacer.png

Whilst I feel that most likely the guy is guilty etc, why are we all suddenly believing everything in the news about this?

Its not as if Thai news is honest and the cops are exemplary in there information gathering?

We have seen in the past a multitude of wrong facts for and against foreigners when breaking the law etc.

I'm not in any way condoning this atrocious person, but wish sometimes it could seem a little more believable.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I guess I would like to hear his side of the story. If his story indeed is that he was high on drugs, that’s a weak story.

But, there are hints he knew the massage lady previously, although the suspect resided in Bangkok. Something about this seems a little off.

On 10/2/2021 at 1:41 AM, Upnotover said:

I guess he's been reading the news reports on this incident that have been posted on this forum in the last day or so.  All of the details mentioned have been in them.

True, he makes a statement but provides no corrections!  The guy is a troll or just a fake!

On 10/2/2021 at 4:00 PM, Dmaxdan said:

You seem to forget that there are plenty of scumbags around the world that have so far not been arrested for anything and therefore don't have a criminal record.

You can't vet everyone who arrives in Thailand, dangerous criminals don't generally have the fact tattooed on their foreheads.

Great idea!!! Rapist and other dangerous criminals SHOULD have it tattooed on their foreheads for all to see. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SymS said:

That could mean asking everybody doing a yearly extension a certified of copy of their criminal record, translated into Thai, and certified by the MFA. It would probably quite effective, but I'm not sure we'd want to go that road.

That would fill up another warehouse with paper copies of sensitive information, only kept within limits because the Thai officials would hand out the papers to other random immigration applicants so they can use up the second side of the paper.......

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 2:44 PM, EricTh said:

Did he have any criminal records before coming to Thailand? I think Thailand should start vetting dangerous criminals from now on.

I believe he owned a black vinyl copy of Max Bygraves greatest hits,  That probably counts!

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2021 at 2:44 PM, EricTh said:

Did he have any criminal records before coming to Thailand? I think Thailand should start vetting dangerous criminals from now on.

I think having to submit a criminal history and pay for it is excessive for the everyday traveler.  Let's not punish the entire world for the crimes of a few.

10 hours ago, Gaccha said:

Your comment reminds me of Thai Immigration efforts to do just that about 5 years ago. It lasted one year and it had me collapsing in laughter at the amateurish nature of their efforts. They had me type my name into my home country's police force search box and if nothing came up then it was all good. 

Their effort reflects a desire to do what you suggest. And the laughable failure reflects a brute reality: for most countries, criminal convictions are highly sensitive information which will not be revealed to random requesters. Typing even a serial killers name in many countries' websites will come back blank. The USA might be the giant exception. 

The Thai government would have to put together multiple treaty arrangements to do this with lots of qualifiers and reassurances. The West is understandably reluctant to provide such access to a backward country. 

Of course, both the UK and USA have permanent police representation in Bangkok and Pattaya to chase down severe crimes by their own citizens. The fashion has been to regard certain crimes as so heinous that even if committed outside the country they can be prosecuted by their country of citizenship. 

What is a police force search box? Is that an official website in your home country?