American man arrested for rape of massage worker in Khon Kaen

Jonathan Fairfield

20 hours ago, Upnotover said:

I guess he's been reading the news reports on this incident that have been posted on this forum in the last day or so.  All of the details mentioned have been in them.

Hopefully written in better English

21 hours ago, EricTh said:

Did he have any criminal records before coming to Thailand? I think Thailand should start vetting dangerous criminals from now on.

That could mean asking everybody doing a yearly extension a certified of copy of their criminal record, translated into Thai, and certified by the MFA. It would probably quite effective, but I'm not sure we'd want to go that road.

1 hour ago, Gaccha said:

Your comment reminds me of Thai Immigration efforts to do just that about 5 years ago. It lasted one year and it had me collapsing in laughter at the amateurish nature of their efforts. They had me type my name into my home country's police force search box and if nothing came up then it was all good. 

Their effort reflects a desire to do what you suggest. And the laughable failure reflects a brute reality: for most countries, criminal convictions are highly sensitive information which will not be revealed to random requesters. Typing even a serial killers name in many countries' websites will come back blank. The USA might be the giant exception. 

30+ years ago I applied for Permanent Residency. Amongst the many requirements at that time (fortunately not having to read/write Thai nor sing the National Anthem) was the need to prove I did not have a criminal record in the UK.

I duly visited the British Embassy (something I would not have done had I had a criminal record) and asked  them to obtain the necessary proof.  The consular lass at the embassy asked me whether I did indeed have a criminal record, to which I replied NO. That was sufficient for her to provide a suitable document for Immigrations purposes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The actions of this sick individual are very bizarre.  Obviously no intelligent pre-planning to make an attempt to conceal his identity. 

The trail of evidence as blatant as elephant footprints in snow at both crime scenes.  

Leads me to think about his mental state.  Even a half-intelligent dim-witted criminal makes some sort of futile effort to hide his evil deeds. 

A psychiatric evaluation would be a normal prudent course of action (whether to confirm or deny mental illness as a partial or total causation). And toxicology expert evidence for drugs.  Can help determine level of alleged drug intoxication. 

I can only compare this to protocol in my country, a democracy.

Not sure how thorough the Thai prosecution case needs to be (for both inculpatory and exculpatory evidence).  

Edited by aussienam
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 10baht said:

If he has a visa other than tourist, I am pretty sure a criminal history was submitted in visa application process. I had to.

I've never been asked for a criminal record. Done yearly extensions using marriage, then work for over ten years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, smedly said:

are you suggesting that this massage shop might have been a front and was offering something more sinister or the mentioned 12yo was the womans daughter and the woman had a current or past relationship with this American

I have to admit the original report on here made no sense to me, I just put it down to poor reporting

I think you are right - there is a lot of stuff missing from this story

Either way glad they caught this scumbag before he butchered or abused anyone else, very likely not his first rodeo 

Wouldnt be suprised if he left a trail of abuse in the USA.   

40 minutes ago, aussienam said:

Leads me to think about his mental state.  Even a half-intelligent dim-witted criminal makes some sort of futile effort to hide his evil deeds. 

I don't think he would need a psychiatric assessment as he has admitted to doing what he did.

Get the 12 year old and the truck driver to ID him and the poor masseuse once she recovers, if they all pointed their finger at him, closed case.

Then he can spent the rest of his days in the Bangkok Hilton as far as I am concerned, however, he will be better off if some one in there takes him out quicker with a blade, but I want him to suffer for his crimes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jimrod said:

So, does that mean he had a criminal record, and it's Thailand's fault?

Many years ago a friend of mine was refused entry into the USA from the UK because he had a minor drug offence on his record (Possession of marijuana)

I think what the poster is saying is that Thailand should check all visitors for criminal records before allowing them entry into the country. 

1 hour ago, SymS said:

That could mean asking everybody doing a yearly extension a certified of copy of their criminal record, translated into Thai, and certified by the MFA. It would probably quite effective, but I'm not sure we'd want to go that road.

Not at all - the records should have been checked before he was admitted into the country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

30+ years ago I applied for Permanent Residency. Amongst the many requirements at that time (fortunately not having to read/write Thai nor sing the National Anthem) was the need to prove I did not have a criminal record in the UK.

I duly visited the British Embassy (something I would not have done had I had a criminal record) and asked  them to obtain the necessary proof.  The consular lass at the embassy asked me whether I did indeed have a criminal record, to which I replied NO. That was sufficient for her to provide a suitable document for Immigrations purposes.

Seems a bit lax! 

Attempted to attack and rape a 12 Yr old girl!  And then goes on to actually rape a 45 Yr old woman.

You would have thought the 12 Yr old would have been the easier victim!

Pretty poor reporting of facts in this matter.

At least he hasn't admitted anything yet. 

I wonder if there will be a complete breakdown of the events.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

You seem to forget that there are plenty of scumbags around the world that have so far not been arrested for anything and therefore don't have a criminal record.

You can't vet everyone who arrives in Thailand, dangerous criminals don't generally have the fact tattooed on their foreheads.

"You can't vet everyone who arrives in Thailand,"

But you can vet people for possible criminal records! 

I agree that there are plenty of "scumbgs" that do not have a criminal record, but if they DO, (and it is possible that this guy has) it should have been picked up before he was allowed to enter the country.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ezzra said:

Wouldn't wanna be in his shoes right now for all the tea in China, and if his guilty, than god may have mercy on his soul coz the Thai people won't...

Shame they don't feel so strongly about their leaders.

23 hours ago, EricTh said:

Did he have any criminal records before coming to Thailand? I think Thailand should start vetting dangerous criminals from now on.

Police records are required when obtaining a Non-O visa.

Don't know about tourist and other visas.

Is it feasible to add extensive criminal background checks to the other pile of requirement already demanded to enter the Kingdom? Is that common for entry to many countries? Not to my knowledge.

I also assume that any rapist or criminal has a first offense somewhere/sometime. Maybe that was here for this guy.

• Thanks 1