Foreign tourists can now apply to stay for up to nine months in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Same hoops - different day ...

And is this 40k/400k insurance the Thai scam or is my normal insurance which I always have and covers millions of euros valid? Such small minds.

So sad. The Thai people really deserve so much better.

Edited by BusyB

6 hours ago, smedly said:

they just are not getting it are they - more red tape and hoops to jump through

do they really want foreign tourists, it is hard to figure out because they keep throwing obstacles in the way

First of all, they must agree to a period of quarantine, as part of the Public Health Ministry’s measures to contain the spread of COVID-19, and must show booking receipts from the hotels in which they will isolate.

Then, they must show evidence of payments for their lodgings during their stay in the kingdom, which can be a rented house, a rented condominium room or a title deed of a condominium room.  They are also required to have health insurance, with a minimum of US$ 100,000 cover for COVID-19 treatmentvalid for the entire period of their stay in the country.

It's almost like an O-A applied to tourists.

6 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

well the current STV I believe is expiring or ending soon.  SoThais, being the un original copy cats they are, are kind of copying that again, but with a different strings attached.  I am over 50 so most likely will go for the "new" Non Imm O visa that the USA Thai embassies are now offering.  Before they had OAs but that requires Thai insurance, in addition to of course the COVID stipulations.  The O visa before, was only available if in Thailand.  The O visa for long stay and elibigible for retirement extensions, at the moment does not requie Thai insurance/  My global insurance is fine for anything I might need in Thailand, although for simplicity I may get the cheapest Thai insurance available just to smooth things out.  I can afford it, and if it makes things easier, it may be worth spending the bucks.  I am still waiting to see how the Nov 1 open with Vaccination proof really works and if there will be good enough airline flights through countries and with airlines I like available

About insurance...as things stand now the policy has to explicitly stipulate that it will pay for all costs incurred due to covid up to 3,500,000 baht

42 minutes ago, placeholder said:

About insurance...as things stand now the policy has to explicitly stipulate that it will pay for all costs incurred due to covid up to 3,500,000 baht

That is exactly the same requirement for an ordinary tourist visa and visa exempt entry. Not sure but it may apply to all new visas. 100,000 usd. Nothing different. Where the STV insurance differs is the need to have 400/40k Baht coverage sames as O/A. At least this was the case when I got mine in April

8 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

And COVID-related insurance requirements of US$2,000,000

And US$300 gazillion in a Thai bank account. And a signed and notarized statement that they won't complain if their curry is too spicy. And another notarized statement that they will <deleted> off once their 9 months are up.

• Like 2

A sure winner that is going to bring in the rich in their millions!

Or is it?

"Then, they must show evidence of payments for their lodgings during their stay in the kingdom, which can be a rented house, a rented condominium room or a title deed of a condominium room.  They are also required to have health insurance, with a minimum of US$ 100,000 cover for COVID-19 treatment valid for the entire period of their stay in the country. They must also have health and accident insurance coverage of40,000 baht for out-patient treatment and 400,000 baht for in-patient treatment."

Edited by Misterwhisper

5 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

Anyone have a ballpark figure for an age of 40/50/60/ etc and covid plus accident insurance for 9 months ?

I paid about £700 for 9 months cover including the 400,/40 requirement for STV and 100k USD covid including asymptomatic. I am 54 and British. AXA Thailand

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, david555 said:

"This is desperation.  Pure and simple.. " 

But not deep enough yet ...to become workable to have big result

Of course not.

You would have to have a ton of money and time to go on a care free vacation to Thailand right now.  Full stop.  

If weeks of your life when you get home mean nothing while you quarantine, then you're fine I guess.  

13 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I am on a STV. Proof of accommodation can be obtained via a booking that can be cancelled. Insurance is a bit more expensive but no big deal. You know when you sign up that it cannot be converted. For those who wish to spend 9 months here without commiting to a long term visa it works. Not for everyone obviously 

Where is your citizenship? What type of background check did you provide? It's a little vague in its description of need for it to be signed. 

7 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

That is exactly the same requirement for an ordinary tourist visa and visa exempt entry. Not sure but it may apply to all new visas. 100,000 usd. Nothing different. Where the STV insurance differs is the need to have 400/40k Baht coverage sames as O/A. At least this was the case when I got mine in April

But I think in the case of the person I was replying to, it's not at all clear whether the insurance he already had explicitly stipulates that it covers covid 19 expenses for up to 3,500.000 baht. That's necessary to re-enter Thailand. f not, maybe his insurer will offer a revised contract the fulfills that requirement.

• Like 1

"They must also have health and accident insurance coverage of 40,000 baht for out-patient treatment and 400,000 baht for in-patient treatment."

..... and if the tourist is 65+ or has a medical condition and can't get insurance, what do they do? 

7 hours ago, MiWV said:

Where is your citizenship? What type of background check did you provide? It's a little vague in its description of need for it to be signed. 

I am British. No background check but this was for the 'original' STV back in April. Not sure if the new one is any different. From memory I provided a one way flight, lease agreement, insurance, ASQ booking and a bank statement. All this is at the visa application stage, it could not wait until COE stage.

23 hours ago, jackdd said:

Summary: STV extended for another year

Is that what it is, a continuation of the STV, because it certainly sounds like it?

Although the London Embassy has a notice that the STV will not be extended after 30th Sept. Are the requirements the same? Hard to keep track of Visas for Thailand these days. 

Edited by jacko45k

I'm really surprised at the number of people who seem to think this is a new option. It's just the STV that has been extended from 1 Oct for another year as already posted here

The above says they had only 5,609 obtain an STV in the first year so hardly super successful (probably because it's similar requirements to an O-A visa except can be under 50)

• Like 2

I don't see a problem with meeting all of the requirements to obtain this type of visa except proof of lodgings.  What if I already have a house to stay at that is owned by a Thai national but I don't pay any rent?  Do I then have to make up a document stating that I am paying rent?    

7 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Meanwhile; all the Tourists will be off to countries that have few or no 'restrictions' and spend their money there.   This country is run by the biggest Idiots on Planet Earth !

I saw a picture of the arrivals hall in Lisbon Portugal last week, it looked jam packed! Few outside of the Asia pacific region give a rats razoo about this place anymore -even the "handsum men" are looking at open borders and better deals like those now available in Colombia, Germany, etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I don't see a problem with meeting all of the requirements to obtain this type of visa except proof of lodgings.  What if I already have a house to stay at that is owned by a Thai national but I don't pay any rent?  Do I then have to make up a document stating that I am paying rent?    

The point of the visa is to fill the empty rentals. So yes, you will need something saying you are paying somebody rent with a tax id and contact details as stated in the requirements.

Edited by MiWV
  • Haha 2

Can you all literally not read? Everywhere is says STV Extended and you all are wondering what this is. Good grief.

If I wanted to go to Columbia or Portugal I sure wouldn't be wasting time on the former Thai Visa forum.

Edited by MiWV

13 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I am British. No background check but this was for the 'original' STV back in April. Not sure if the new one is any different. From memory I provided a one way flight, lease agreement, insurance, ASQ booking and a bank statement. All this is at the visa application stage, it could not wait until COE stage.

I wonder if it's different for different countries. Since it was first announced and I considered it back a long time ago the US version mentioned a criminal background check.

9 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Meanwhile; all the Tourists will be off to countries that have few or no 'restrictions' and spend their money there.   This country is run by the biggest Idiots on Planet Earth !

It's run by big business. The government is letting big business dictate TAT rules. Just another nail in the tourism coffin.  Just so much media blitz and living on the past can do. Sinking ship comes to mind.

Edited by garyk
  • Like 2