New Fortuner GR Sport

nahkit

3 hours ago, transam said:

It does sound a bit odd to call an SUV "Sport" unless it actually has some sort of power upgrade to the other versions, which this offering doesn't.

Low profile tyres is a poor excuse to call it "Sport". ????

PS. I like the red colour in the OP, white is so boring, as most are....

Yes, the "sport" version of a sport utility vehicle. Why do they not promote the "utility: version?

It is what it is. It's as silly as a sport version of a corolla or civic. "Sport" packages are typically appearance packages only. That said, if you like the appearance, they may be worth the extra dough. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PFMills said:

HaHa.  

This is an advert for a vehicle with the word Sport in its title. Would you really expect to see turtle driving. Of course not.

If you are offended by the advert, fine and I appreciate your honesty but you would be one of very few.

Wouldn’t buy one because already have an SUV but I like the colour.

Great advert, gets over what it wants to say quite well.

I'm guessing it was a joke....

Loved the Isuzu X commercials they ran back in the old days when you could go to the theater to see a movie.... 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

If you live on a farm....

I used my 4x4 to get out of a Temple grounds, a funeral, whilst the rest were scratching heads and looking up to the heavens....

I also used it during the rainy season every year, where the water could be a foot deep in town...

I would much rather have 4x4 than all these gizmo's folk are impressed fiddling with..

7 minutes ago, transam said:

I used my 4x4 to get out of a Temple grounds, a funeral, whilst the rest were scratching heads and looking up to the heavens....

I also used it during the rainy season every year, where the water could be a foot deep in town...

I would much rather have 4x4 than all these gizmo's folk are impressed fiddling with..

Good for you. I have not needed it in over twenty years and have been to any number of temples and a more than a few funerals. 

I'm surprised that people that live in areas where the water gets to be a foot deep every year stand around scratching their head looking at the sky when their car is stuck....

In any event, if I lived off a dirt road or out in the boonies I would have 4wd, I do not. Nothing wrong with living out there, but my wife likes to shop and my kid is in school. 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Good for you. I have not needed it in over twenty years and have been to any number of temples and a more than a few funerals. 

I'm surprised that people that live in areas where the water gets to be a foot deep every year stand around scratching their head looking at the sky when their car is stuck....

In any event, if I lived off a dirt road or out in the boonies I would have 4wd, I do not. Nothing wrong with living out there, but my wife likes to shop and my kid is in school. 

Lucky chap...

Perhaps 4x4's are too expensive for the locals, plus a foot of water is generally  not very often each year.

I do not live near dirt roads, but when I bought the 4x4 in 2007, the roads were very different to now. My point was, 4x4 can be very handy at times..

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

4x4 gives more stability on the road in the wet and the dry. 

You can feel it when driving. 

No I can't, and I have owned several and driven countless all over the US in rain and snow and all over Thailand in the rain. 

I don't doubt YOU can feel it when driving...

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

No I can't, and I have owned several and driven countless all over the US in rain and snow and all over Thailand in the rain. 

But did you know how to operate the 4x4 thingy though......????.......????

I am also surprised they even make them in the USA, if I am to believe your post...????

1 hour ago, transam said:

Pulled a couple of trucks out from the side of the road stuck that's between Tak and Maesot in wet season when having to go there for immigration. 

Off main road temples no 4x4 no go. ????

After a crash at the end of the first year in my Vigo I used the 4x4 all the time except when parking or maneuvering in Soi's or villages the auto box never missed beat in over 5 years after that being told using 4x4 mostly all the time will cause problems. 

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I'm a bum feeling driver ???? but in racing terms. 

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Lucky chap...

Perhaps 4x4's are too expensive for the locals, plus a foot of water is generally  not very often each year.

I do not live near dirt roads, but when I bought the 4x4 in 2007, the roads were very different to now. My point was, 4x4 can be very handy at times..

I am indeed one of the luckiest guys on the planet, and I try not to forget it. 

I've owned few 4wd vehicles and indeed they can be handy at times. I also owned GMC 9000 with a power take-off and a cherry-picker mounted behind the cab. It was extremely handy at times as well, but I don't want another one. 

The second vehicle I had here was a top model 4WD D-Max.  First year on the platform, in perhaps 2002.  I lived in Kabinburi and I put 250,000Km on it in the 3-4 years I had it. I only used the 4WD once, and that was just to see if it worked. Got a Highlander after that. 

11 minutes ago, transam said:

But did you know how to operate the 4x4 thingy though......????.......????

I am also surprised they even make them in the USA, if I am to believe your post...????

Is this where I say: Were I to believe YOUR post they would make nothing but?

If I lived somewhere where it snowed, or somewhere I was forced to drive in mud often, I would buy a 4WD. Again, I do not. 

23 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I use my local Toyota dealer as well and I am happy enough with the value, but if they greased my brakes I would go someplace else. 

In any event, I was only commenting on how much cheaper Isuzu service was, not complaining about the cost of the Toyota service. The Toyota service is fine, and the "free" coffee and snacks are priced appropriately. 

Incidentally, my Isuzu dealer had "free" coffee, snacks and "valet" as well. Also got other free <deleted> now and then as well. 

They should put a dab of grease on the back of the pads when reassembling them. 

But that's not why I'm answering your post.

Re fuel. When I got my new 2.8 Tuna I couldn't believe how good it was on fuel. As my old 3LT would burn it. Just after I got it I did a trip of some 1k KM return (With full tank) and having got there It said I have more then enough fuel to get back. I didn't believe it so filled up and did a double check Fuel used KM done. Give or take within 1% the lumps comp: was correct. That could be put down to many things the amount of fuel put in on top up for one. I have rechecked this several times. Always within 1% so I now tend to believe it. Your fuel usage might be down to the place you live with more traffic than where I live. I mainly use the A/R 1/32 if I'm going to say BKK that's almost traffic free. The trip I did yesterday was on the 115 from Kamphaeng Phet then the 117 to Phitso. Again little or no traffic. Or then again your right foot. Oh I always use Prem: Diesel.   

5 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Re fuel. When I got my new 2.8 Tuna I couldn't believe how good it was on fuel. As my old 3LT would burn it. Just after I got it I did a trip of some 1k KM return (With full tank) and having got there It said I have more then enough fuel to get back. I didn't believe it so filled up and did a double check Fuel used KM done. Give or take within 1% the lumps comp: was correct. That could be put down to many things the amount of fuel put in on top up for one. I have rechecked this several times. Always within 1% so I now tend to believe it. Your fuel usage might be down to the place you live with more traffic than where I live. I mainly use the A/R 1/32 if I'm going to say BKK that's almost traffic free. The trip I did yesterday was on the 115 from Kamphaeng Phet then the 117 to Phitso. Again little or no traffic. Or then again your right foot. Oh I always use Prem: Diesel.   

I see no advantage of putting grease on the back of pads, unless copper grease for a noise problem.

Open air grease just attracts dust dirt etc, plus its melting point may not be good enough to deal with the heat generated by discs and pads. 

12 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Please Fred don't start the Diesel thing it makes no difference whatsoever what diesel I use in my 1•9 Isuzu. 

5 minutes ago, transam said:

I see no advantage of putting grease on the back of pads, unless copper grease for a noise problem.

Open air grease just attracts dust dirt etc, plus its melting point may not be good enough to deal with the heat generated by discs and pads. 

Of cause it was copper grease I just assumed that most would know that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Please Fred don't start the Diesel thing it makes no difference whatsoever what diesel I use in my 1•9 Isuzu. 

I just like to put in things that might count as it stops Peeps coming back saying something different. Like the copper grease one that was just put in. 

Edited by fredob43
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Really, like back in the '70s?

28 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I get it, your 2.8l Fortuner is "quick" and gets 50% better mileage than my 2.8l Fortuner.

I guess I got a lemon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, G Rex said:

A 'sporty' Fortuner is a contradiction of terms.

We all know that red cars go faster , and a few more blacked out bits of trim are gangster - but even in 'GR' mode - this car is hardly sporty.

I recently test drove the new Fortuner - and I found the wallowing and dipping around corners quite 'agricultural'.  We compared the Toyota with the Ford Everest - and ended up buying a Mazda CX8 !

Yeah, I drove a Mazda CX8 and thought it was junk. Looks bad as well. 

20 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, I drove a Mazda CX8 and thought it was junk. Looks bad as well. 

what a boring world it would be if we all had the same opinions!

drove 300k today back home, through Bangkok - and the Mazda has adequate power ,is fuel efficient(average 14.5km/l) and is quiet and comfortable - IMO it has style and quality that the Toyota does not have.  

33 minutes ago, G Rex said:

what a boring world it would be if we all had the same opinions!

drove 300k today back home, through Bangkok - and the Mazda has adequate power ,is fuel efficient(average 14.5km/l) and is quiet and comfortable - IMO it has style and quality that the Toyota does not have.  

The deference between CX8 and Tuna is chalk and cheese the ride in the CX8 is far superior..

• Like 1