New Fortuner GR Sport

nahkit

23 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I'll give you the 2.4 is slow but the 2.8 TRD in sports mode is rapid. If it's fitted with the 20" rims it also holds the road. Goes round corners like it's on rails. Even in the wet. Maybe you should drive one. N/B also great on fuel.

I have driven quite a few SUV's and the Fortuner I did like it but it was the 3•0L 2 wheel drive my Vigo 4x4 was just as good. 

As for people who want a SUV they good value. 

After driving Mazda CX9 that is what I would want so I'll stick with my truck. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I have driven quite a few SUV's and the Fortuner I did like it but it was the 3•0L 2 wheel drive my Vigo 4x4 was just as good. 

As for people who want a SUV they good value. 

After driving Mazda CX9 that is what I would want so I'll stick with my truck. 

I did say the new 2.8L I will agree that the old 3lt wasn't that fast but the new 2.8L is a much better engine. And G/Box. I have had the Vigo 4 door 4x4 3lt and that was a pig on corners. With it's balloon tyres. Bettered by the old Tuna 3lt. Both not a patch of the latest 20" wheel set up. 

Reply to Y/T. I did say that I get 6.2lt of fuel to a 100km But never quoted 1lt to 20km. That's on a run at around 110kph in C/C. Of cause more round town. Around 7lt ave: BKK forget it.  

33 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I did say the new 2.8L I will agree that the old 3lt wasn't that fast but the new 2.8L is a much better engine. And G/Box. I have had the Vigo 4 door 4x4 3lt and that was a pig on corners. With it's balloon tyres. Bettered by the old Tuna 3lt. Both not a patch of the latest 20" wheel set up. 

Reply to Y/T. I did say that I get 6.2lt of fuel to a 100km But never quoted 1lt to 20km. That's on a run at around 110kph in C/C. Of cause more round town. Around 7lt ave: BKK forget it.  

Agree the Vigo 4x4 was bad in 2 wheel around corners so the Vigo I had was rear suspension tuned at Cockpit and I use to drive in 4x4 on long runs it was on rails. 

There's not a lot different in speed between 2•8 & 3•0, the 2•8 obviously must be smoother and and more refined you would expect it to be. 

I'm never likely to buy a Tuna now but if I did it would be 4x4. 

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

So 16 Km/liter highway, 14 Km/liter city. correct? I get 9-11. 

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Agree the Vigo 4x4 was bad in 2 wheel around corners so the Vigo I had was rear suspension tuned at Cockpit and I use to drive in 4x4 on long runs it was on rails. 

There's not a lot different in speed between 2•8 & 3•0, the 2•8 obviously must be smoother and and more refined you would expect it to be. 

My last 4wd I had for almost four years and only use the 4wd once, and that was just to try it, and  that was living out in the "country"....

More money up front & more money to have serviced. 

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I would never buy a car if it wasn't big & didn't have 4x4. The times I have used 4x4 is to many to quote. Try driving any lump in the rain we get here at times, that will tell you why it's so important. 

I can't seem to find any figures about the new Tuna GT, Just seems to be a 2.8L Tuna TRD with a different badge. Does anyone know.

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

I would never buy a car if it wasn't big & didn't have 4x4. The times I have used 4x4 is to many to quote. Try driving any lump in the rain we get here at times, that will tell you why it's so important. 

I can't seem to find any figures about the new Tuna GT, Just seems to be a 2.8L Tuna TRD with a different badge. Does anyone know.

Same platform since 2015...

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So 16 Km/liter highway, 14 Km/liter city. correct? I get 9-11. 

Must be the way you drive. I'm very steady with all my driving. None of this rush away from light or fast overtaking. I also look well ahead if I have to slow down it's foot of the fast peddle well before the lights ++. Bit like Steady Eddie. (Boring) Just done a trip to pick up my comp: in town. It returned 7.1 on the trip. Tomorrow I will be doing a trip some 140km one way most of it I'll be in C/C at around 100kph. Can't say yet what it'll return but I'm sure it'll be in the low 6. something. At a constant speed of 90/5kph it does even better. Goes down to the 5.??? per 100km.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

My last 4wd I had for almost four years and only use the 4wd once, and that was just to try it, and  that was living out in the "country"....

More money up front & more money to have serviced. 

Horses for courses used Cockpit for servicing the 4x4 Vigo and Toyota money grabber dealer was outed after first free service.

I use our Vigo's 4wd all the time in the wet and on long journeys for 7 years.

Our Isuzu 2 wheel rear wheel drive has been struck 3 times since owing it but been treated the same after first free service with Isuzu has been serviced at Cockpit ever since.

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Horses for courses used Cockpit for servicing the 4x4 Vigo and Toyota money grabber dealer was outed after first free service.

I use our Vigo's 4wd all the time in the wet and on long journeys for 7 years.

Our Isuzu 2 wheel rear wheel drive has been struck 3 times since owing it but been treated the same after first free service with Isuzu has been serviced at Cockpit ever since.

I guess some guys can drive in the mud....

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

Agree 4x4 I have missed.

The Isuzu we bought as a workhorse and it's been great and so cheap to own compared to the Vigo 4x4.

A couple of 100 baht can get you pulled out whenever we have been struck and just take corners slow in the wet. ???? 

31 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Agree 4x4 I have missed.

The Isuzu we bought as a workhorse and it's been great and so cheap to own compared to the Vigo 4x4.

A couple of 100 baht can get you pulled out whenever we have been struck and just take corners slow in the wet. ???? 

It costs 2-3 times as much to have Toyota service the 2wd Fortuner (~B3K) than it did to have Isuzu service the 2wd Highlander (~B1,200) 

Total cost of ownership on the Isuzu can't beat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It costs 2-3 times as much to have Toyota service the 2wd Fortuner (~B3K) than it did to have Isuzu service the 2wd Highlander (~B1,200) 

Well I don't know I could understand higher service costs if you take a Toyota to main dealer they will always find something they say needs doing or it needs this additive or that additive.

At Cockpit where I go the 4x4 vigo never cost anymore than the 2wd Isuzu in my experience.

20 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I use my local Toyota dealer. 7lt full sin: oil new engine filter and new filter for the A/C. Last 10k service they took all the wheels of and stripped the brakes re-greased them and reassembled.  Total cost was less than 2.3k bht. Oh + free coffee and goodies. And a free valet. I always miss the free valet bit. I don't think that's bad. 

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

Please try something. I did a trip today some 200km+. On the way back on a clear road, I stuck my lump at 94/5 kph. Top gear Should read Aprox 1.4k rpm. Stuck it in C/C then pressed the fuel reset button. After it reset it read 5.7L/100km. Give it a tray and see what yours reads. Would be interesting to know. Oh had a full tank, 1 person up, A/Con: set at 26c half power. Outside temp was 32c. The test lasted for 60km.  

Please try something. Each time you fill the tank, record the amount of fuel you add and the current mileage. Keep the data in a spreadsheet and after a few months you should have a reasonably accurate idea what your fuel economy actually is, rather than what the onboard computer estimates it to be. You should end up with something like this:

Capture.JPG.67422f5aad3b870a8968b83f3d06eb67.JPG

With this, I can also sort by fuel type and compare the mileage I get with B7  the to the mileage I get with B10. 

I know I can trick the computer into telling my I'm getting great mileage, I have no interest in that. I want to know what my mileage actually is.

• Thanks 1

I use my local Toyota dealer. 7lt full sin: oil new engine filter and new filter for the A/C. Last 10k service they took all the wheels of and stripped the brakes re-greased them and reassembled.  Total cost was less than 2.3k bht. Oh + free coffee and goodies. And a free valet. I always miss the free valet bit. I don't think that's bad. 

I use my local Toyota dealer as well and I am happy enough with the value, but if they greased my brakes I would go someplace else. 

In any event, I was only commenting on how much cheaper Isuzu service was, not complaining about the cost of the Toyota service. The Toyota service is fine, and the "free" coffee and snacks are priced appropriately. 

Incidentally, my Isuzu dealer had "free" coffee, snacks and "valet" as well. Also got other free <deleted> now and then as well. 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Please try something. Each time you fill the tank, record the amount of fuel you add and the current mileage. Keep the data in a spreadsheet and after a few months you should have a reasonably accurate idea what your fuel economy actually is, rather than what the onboard computer estimates it to be. You should end up with something like this:

Capture.JPG.67422f5aad3b870a8968b83f3d06eb67.JPG

With this, I can also sort by fuel type and compare the mileage I get with B7  the to the mileage I get with B10. 

I know I can trick the computer into telling my I'm getting great mileage, I have no interest in that. I want to know what my mileage actually is.

Your spot on my Isuzu truck has a dashboard read out like you Hiso Tuna owners.????

I had it read 26 to the litre on one of the several read outs you get.

A  real average math check out on the 1.9 diesel is, the worse is nearly 13 kilo per the best with a load not going much over 90 is 16 + a bit,  and empty doing same 18 + a bit.

I've found the 4WD useful on several occasions. Roadworks for example which can be very muddy after rain. You can feel the car squirming and moving around  little. Engaging 4WD makes a lot of difference. Also one time a small bridge over a river was closed and the bypass was down and then up on an unsealed dirt track. Very difficult even with 4WD. But you are limited ultimately by tyres. Normal road type tyres can only do so much even with 4WD. A 2WD with off-road focused tyres can do better than a 4WD with normal tyres.

The Ford Everest with permanent 4WD (I think it does) actually appeals to me for that reason, as do for example the Subaru road cars. It is there all the time, no need to even think about it.

On 10/5/2021 at 5:38 PM, metisdead said:

I find the commercial offensive as it is promoting unsafe and aggressive driving habits:

Race Your Pride Ambition. 

Nothing about safety.

HaHa.  

This is an advert for a vehicle with the word Sport in its title. Would you really expect to see turtle driving. Of course not.

If you are offended by the advert, fine and I appreciate your honesty but you would be one of very few.

Wouldn’t buy one because already have an SUV but I like the colour.

Great advert, gets over what it wants to say quite well.

Edited by PFMills

It does sound a bit odd to call an SUV "Sport" unless it actually has some sort of power upgrade to the other versions, which this offering doesn't.

Low profile tyres is a poor excuse to call it "Sport". ????

PS. I like the red colour in the OP, white is so boring, as most are....