What speeds are you getting on 4G/5G?

FarangFB

I just got a truemove 1Gbps 5G to replace the old 4G, and I can barely tell the difference. If anything, it's slower.

Speedtest on my 5G gives me 200Mbps download and 30Mbps upload with 25ms ping. 

My 4G got about 100Mbps download, similar upload but ping was lower at 20ms.

5G also shows losses sometimes on speedtest, and when browing normally I get some unusual delays, I am in a central location of Pattaya, the 5G signal is full. Does anyone here have a good experience? I'm considering going back there and cancelling the plan.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, fangless said:

How many times have you run the same test at the same time of day.  Single/spot tests are meaningless.

I understand variations but when my download is under 25% of the advertised speed and upload is 3% then it's a problem regardless of the time. I'd understand half speed but if I'm paying a top 1199b/month plan I should be getting more than the 4G I used to pay 1890b/year.

Edited by FarangFB

8 minutes ago, FarangFB said:

5G gives me 200Mbps download and 30Mbps upload with 25ms ping. 

My 4G got about 100Mbps download,

I am confused your download is twice what it was so what is the advertised speed?

Also 5ms ping difference is not exactly noticeable!

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, fangless said:

I am confused your download is twice what it was so what is the advertised speed?

Also 5ms ping difference is not exactly noticeable!

What are you trying to say. What download is twice before, and where is the 5 ms ping? Please give me some of what you are popping.

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, digbeth said:

True 5g in middle of Asoke, Huawei CPE (Mobile Router) 5g is 280-300Mbps  if it drops to 4g it's around 200 while my phone only gets around 100

Really? I have 995 Mbps down and 540 Mpbs up with True 4g 1 Gbps in Isaan. Internet must really suck for you city guys! 

11 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

What are you trying to say. What download is twice before, and where is the 5 ms ping? Please give me some of what you are popping.

5ms ping is the difference between 20 and 25ms.  Twice is the difference between 100 and 200 Mbps,  

I suggest you read the posts in sequence and read who posted what about what and stop popping yourself!

Edited by fangless
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, FarangFB said:

I just got a truemove 1Gbps 5G to replace the old 4G

Are they seriously advertising 1Gbps for a mobile package???

What exact type is your phone?

17 hours ago, FarangFB said:

I can barely tell the difference.

Would you really expect a noticeable/visible difference between xxx Mbps speeds on a mobile phone?

Sorry to say, but this is pure marketing jingle.

Real world speeds on video/streams are in the range up to 25 Mbps.

I have seen some report of the 5G introduction in Germany.

A Telekom engineer managed to get some 9xx Mbps on a speedtest.

He was standing just below the transmitter (radio cell), latest high end phone and being the only user.

You share bandwidth with multiple users on a radio cell and will rarely reach the theoretical limit.

Most of the current 5G is going through a 4G/LTE backend (not only in Thailand).

Full 5G infrastructure all through the network in Thailand? I doubt it already exists.

Yes, cancel the 5G. I would not spend a single Baht extra for that fancy label.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, FarangFB said:

Speedtest on my 5G gives me 200Mbps download and 30Mbps upload with 25ms ping

That seems screamingly fast. I have a 50 Mbps fibre to the home connection in Australia, and that’s more than enough to stream Netflix in 4K. Interesting for me as if I can ever manage to return to Thailand, my condo doesn’t have fibre, only VDSL, and I’d love a 5G service like that. I think line of sight’s required for 5G? My condo’s on the 21st floor in Jomtien facing Pattaya, so hope I could get a 5G signal - 5G is now widely available in the Pattaya area?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

For your phone?

Not much coverage.  I wouldn't pay much extra for a year or two.

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of a 5G router rather than a SIM card for my phone. It’s extremely unlikely I’ll be able to return to Thailand for at least the next couple of years anyway.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...