Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Wise transfers not being processed as International (Specifically Bangkok Bank)

52 minutes ago, lexilis said:

As I said somewhere up-thread a week or so ago, I successfully did a transfer through BKK NY (using their ABA 026008691) which was deposited in two days into my Thai BBK account and coded as FFT. This means that Wise sent the money to BBK NY in the IAT format (otherwise BBK NY would have returned it). To test this again just now I made another transfer of USD from Wise to BBK NY. I'll post the result when it comes in.

Question regarding how you set-up the recipient...which in this case is you.  When adding the recipient using the BKK routing number did you use the "Add Your Bank Acct" button or the "Add A Recipient" button. 

AFAIK the only difference between using the two is for the former you do not have to enter info regarding the recipient because it just uses your name and address info which have in your Wise acct Profile.  So, it looks like you are sending the money from lexillis to lexillis.  And if you had a Thailand address onfile in your Wise profile then it looks like you are sending money to lexillis "in Thailand."    This may satisfy the "IAT" type format BKK NY would be looking for if the recipient has a Thailand address.   BUT if you had a U.S. address onfile with Wise then it looks like you are sending to a person with a U.S. address vs a Thailand address which may not meet BKK NY IAT requirement to relay it to Thailand.

But if selecting the latter you need to fill in the name of the recipient and their address which could be a Thailand address or pretty much anywhere on Earth....that is, you could be sending money from lexillis to Pib in Thailand.  This may meet BKK NY IAT requirement since it shows the recipient with a Thailand address.

Pending your results on the 2nd transfer I'm just scratching my head/brainstorming as to why your transfer got thru but JohnOFphom's was rejected.  And part of that brainstorming made me think it might be a recipient address issue....how a person sets  up their recipient in Wise.   Then again, maybe BKK NY has just thrown up a fresh roadblock over the last week or so.  Looking forward to you test results on your 2nd transfer.

5 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

NO. Bangkok Bank NY returned the transfer from Wise borderless NY.   Bangkok Bank NY will NOT transfer any money that arrives in a non IAT format. And Wise does not, and can not provide that format.

Do not transfer any money to Bangkok Bank NY from a Wise account!!!

They (Bangkok Bank NY) returned the money to my Wise account last night. 

Wise even refunded the 51 cent transfer fee.. That was nice of Wise..

Did the rejection include a specific reason for the rejection like not in IAT format?   BKK would tell Wise why it was rejected by using specific ACH coding/wording, but the rejection reason shown to the customer might be in more layman's terms.

Or, are you just assuming it was rejected because of format?

And like I asked lexillis, when you was setting up the recipient did you use the "Add Your Bank Acct" button or "Add A Recipient" button.     Also, was a U.S. or Thailand address used for the recipient (i.e., you in this case)?

22 hours ago, Pib said:

I wonder how someone could get a Credit Advice from Deemoney (if they even provide them) if the person needed a document from a "Thai financial entity"  because the Wise PDF Receipt was not acceptable.....like maybe going up against an immigration officer who only accepted Thai bank type financial docs to prove a transfer was international.  Yes, I know some immigration offices do accept Wise receipts, but I also expect "all" do not....like the ones that requires a 12 month statement from your Thai bank showing the monthly transfers coded as international.   

Additionally, Deemoney only has 4 branches and they are in the Bangkok area which makes it hard for anyone not living in Bangkok to possibly get a Credit Advice type doc from Deemoney if a person had to physically get it at a branch.  

21 hours ago, bbko said:

In addition to the branch offices, they can be contacted by phone, Line, Facebook and email to request a invoice;

Request An Invoice 

Need an invoice for your recent transaction? Write to us at
  [email protected] and provide us with the following info:

1. Transaction ID
  2. Transaction Date
  3. Transaction Amount
  4. Sender’s Name
  5. Receiver’s Name

But would a Dee Money invoice necessarily confirm the foreign origin of a particular transfer?

And to digress slightly, might it be the case that Dee Money have now replaced the bank formerly known as TMB (whatever they may now be called) as a Wise partner?

This might be interesting or save some time:

I have reached out to Dee Money (contact information found here: https://www.deemoney.com/branch/) and this is the reply I got (see attachment). It looks like providing these sorts of receipts is standard operating procedure for them.

Thank you for your email! Could you please send us information for the following?

1. The transfer/invoice numbers from partner (Partner Name: eg Wise, Remitly ...) 
2. Reason for requesting confirmation letter 
3. Request an ID and passport for verification. 

Transaction Details:
Bank Name: 
Account Name:  
Account Number: 
Date/Time : 
Amount:  THB  
Please attach copies of the Partner Transfer Confirmations (Wise, Remitly .. ) 

*And could you please kindly provide us the address in Thailand so that we can deliver the original document for you Sir/Madam! 
-----------------------------------------
Example.

The transfer/invoice numbers from Wise are:
02/03/21      #221xxxx85
02/04/21      #232xxxx94
I will attach files with photos of the actual invoices.

The money for these two transfers was finally deposited in my Bangkok Bank
Bank account #  096-x-xxxxx-8
 as follows:

Transaction Details:
Bank Name: Bangkok Bank
Account Name:  John
Account Number: 096-x-xxxxx-8
Date: 02/03/21  
Amount: 100000.23THB  
Bank Name: Bangkok Bank
Account Name:  John
Account Number: 096-0-48832-8
Date: 02/04/21  
Amount: 111111.77THB

The reason I need this letter is that Thai Immigration needs to see monthly international transfers. My Bangkok Bank book shows these

For more information please contact our call center at 02-821-5555 (9 am-8 pm) or leave your mobile number. Add our official LINE ID (@deemoney) or visit our website: https://www.deemoney.com/ for information on rates and others.

Edited by Katsura
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, lexilis said:

I am pretty sure I used "add a recipient" but I did not give a Thai address. I used my BBK account, #, my name, and the BBK NY ABA #.

Check your Wise PDF Receipt in the Sent To area---what address does it show?   Is it blank for the address, shows a Thai address, or shows a U.S. address?    Note: the "Sent To" area may have been automatically populated by Wise based on info in your Wise Profile if you didn't enter a recipient address.    

1 minute ago, lexilis said:

Where is the "Sent To" area at? All of my transfers have two pages "Updates" and "Details". Neither has a "Sent To" line. Where is that you go to get a PDF Receipt?

When in the Activity area of your Wise acct, find the transfer, and then click on the three dots in the upper right hand corner for that transfer....then select PDF Receipt.   Once you open the receipt in the last half of it the Sent To info will be shown.

10 minutes ago, lexilis said:

OK got it. Yes it shows my Thai address. So Wise must have sent it to BBK NY in the IAT format.

Probably not in the "exact" IAT format but close enough since you had included the recipient's Thai address.....having the address of the recipient is one of the IAT requirements. 

For a standard ACH transfer there is no area for a person to enter a recipient's address.

Hopefully JohnOFphom will tell us if his Wise PDF receipt showed a Thai or US address or no address for his rejected transfer.   

As said earlier I'm just brainstorming right now as to why your and mojaco's  transfer went thru but JohnOFphom didn't....and I know for IAT transfers the recipient's address has to be included.  "If" it is not due to some new Bangkok Bank NY roadblock built over the last week and if your second transfer you just initiated does not get rejected, then the problem seems to lie with JohnOFphom transfer setup/info.

I have just ordered my monthly transfer of 65,100thb, to satisfy Immigration, from the UK.

Wise tell me that it will be in my Bangkok Bank account just after 2pm  tomorrow.

We shall see if it shows as FTT 

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

And to digress slightly, might it be the case that Dee Money have now replaced the bank formerly known as TMB (whatever they may now be called) as a Wise partner?

I don't know if TMB is still a Wise partner bank.  The last time I saw TMB used as a partner bank on one of my Wise PDF Receipts was around 2 years ago....and it only showed up once.   And when you look at the Wise site about Thai banking partners Wise only mentions Bangkok Bank and K-bank in the section where they talk getting a FET.

TMB and Thanachart merged over the last year or so and they are now called TMBThanachart Bank (TTB)....don't know if TTB is maybe a Wise banking partner....haven't seen them used on any of my transfers....all of my transfers have used Bangkok Bank or K-bank as the partner bank.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Pib said:

Did the rejection include a specific reason for the rejection like not in IAT format?   BKK would tell Wise why it was rejected by using specific ACH coding/wording, but the rejection reason shown to the customer might be in more layman's terms.

Or, are you just assuming it was rejected because of format?

And like I asked lexillis, when you was setting up the recipient did you use the "Add Your Bank Acct" button or "Add A Recipient" button.     Also, was a U.S. or Thailand address used for the recipient (i.e., you in this case)?

No specific reason, Just "To Bangkok Bank, canceled".

So after reading what is on Bangkok Banks NYs webpage and a page about what is IAT.. I assumed it was because of the IAT.

I used the add recipient button....And...for address....I put in the address of Bangkok Bank NY.

Because it says..local bank account...numbers and address. 

That's interesting.

If they want my address here....Thai address...????

If I use the Add your bank account button.

It does not ask for an address.

The address on file with Wise is a US address...????

35 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

No specific reason, Just "To Bangkok Bank, canceled".

So after reading what is on Bangkok Banks NYs webpage and a page about what is IAT.. I assumed it was because of the IAT.

I used the add recipient button....And...for address....I put in the address of Bangkok Bank NY.

Because it says..local bank account...numbers and address. 

That's interesting.

If they want my address here....Thai address...????

If I use the Add your bank account button.

It does not ask for an address.

The address on file with Wise is a US address...????

You are putting in the address of the recipient in Thailand; not the Bangkok Bank NY address.  Enter your address in Thailand which should be the same address you have onfile with your Thai bank since you are sending money to yourself.  If the transfer now goes thru you will know it was an address issue.

1 minute ago, Pib said:

You are putting in the address of the recipient in Thailand; not the Bangkok Bank NY address.  Enter your address in Thailand which should be the same address you have onfile with your Thai bank since you are sending money to yourself.  If the transfer now goes thru you will know it was an address issue.

What about the address I have on file with Wise?

Keep US or change to Thai?

24 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

If I change my address in Wise to a Thai address, does it have to be the address I have on file with Bangkok Bank?

I moved since opening that account and never updated.

As hotandsticky said they are unrelated.  I have my U.S. address in my Wise Profile but when sending to my Thai bank acct I enter my Thai address in the recipient info which also happens to be the address I have onfile for my Thai bank accts.

14 hours ago, keithcresswell said:

I'm not taking a chance with Wise anymore, so am opening an account with first direct (UK) who do free international transfers.

Good solution.  If I got free international SWIFT from the US then I would bet more Baht than a Wise transfer for sure.  As is I pay $10 and get a bit more than Wise would have given usually, sometimes a bit less, a bit being $10-15.

16 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Good solution.  If I got free international SWIFT from the US then I would bet more Baht than a Wise transfer for sure.  As is I pay $10 and get a bit more than Wise would have given usually, sometimes a bit less, a bit being $10-15.

Actually not always a good idea unless they allow sending USD rather than Baht.  If they make the exchange you can be sure will not be in your favor.  Also there may be intermediate bank involved taking a cut off the top.  Also remember you will be paying between 200-500 to Bangkok Bank after conversion at Bangkok Bank rate.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

Pib. since you send money from US to Thailand, why don't you do a transfer?

I may try later...but once bitten, twice shy.

I'm burnt out on Wise tests I did a few weeks ago....don't want to incur anymore transfer fees testing this and that like the Bangkok Bank Bt200 receiving fee to personally test NY branch routing.

Let's just wait and see if lexillis' 2nd test transfer currently in transit via the NY branch gets thru like his 1st one did.  He used his Thai address as the recipient address on the 1st and 2nd transfer vs home country address.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I have just ordered my monthly transfer of 65,100thb, to satisfy Immigration, from the UK.

Wise tell me that it will be in my Bangkok Bank account just after 2pm  tomorrow.

We shall see if it shows as FTT 

14:00hrs exactly  today… showed in my account.. using the App… International Funds Transfer.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually not always a good idea unless they allow sending USD rather than Baht.  If they make the exchange you can be sure will not be in your favor.

Oh, I thought everybody knew that changing money to baht is best done in Thailand.

12 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Also there may be intermediate bank involved taking a cut off the top.  Also remember you will be paying between 200-500 to Bangkok Bank after conversion at Bangkok Bank rate.

The total of which is normally not much but there are situations where the intermediate bank fee is high enough to skew the result in favor of Wise.

4 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Oh, I thought everybody knew that changing money to baht is best done in Thailand.

The total of which is normally not much but there are situations where the intermediate bank fee is high enough to skew the result in favor of Wise.

Actually many don't and banks can be very insistent on wanting to do themselves so always need to confirm how being done.  The exchange rate even when done in Thailand will likely be a bit lower than Wise and the 1/4 of one percent charge (200-500 baht) additional even when not hit with additional bank charges.  For some it may work well but for others not so much.  When normally a good option is if making very large (more than average monthly living expense) transfers.

On 11/3/2021 at 4:55 PM, keithcresswell said:

I'm not taking a chance with Wise anymore, so am opening an account with first direct (UK) who do free international transfers.

Are you sure that First Direct will allow you to open an account with them if you're a UK non-resident (as presumably you are)?

Edited by OJAS