Wise transfers not being processed as International (Specifically Bangkok Bank)

19 minutes ago, pablo el sueco said:

Someone named Akhil handled my request most satisfactorily.

I had similar good service from my Wise contact, Samra, who passed my tagging request to 'the team' on 17th October and was confirmed to me within 24 hours. Since then have had 3 transfers sent with perfect results (direct to BBank (with FTT notation), unlike those sent from 8th October up to when tagging applied.

• Like 1

Pib  said he sent money from his Borderless Wise account in NY to Bangkok Bank New York.   50 dollar test.

Wise charged him . 51c.

He reported that Bangkok Bank NY received the money and forwarded it to his Bangkok Bank account here.  

Swift transfer,, dollar to dollar convert to Baht here.

So, I added Bangkok Bank NY as a recipient and sent a transfer from my Wise Borderless account to Bkk Bank this morning. 50 dollars. They also charged me  51c for the transfer.

I don't know if this will work or not.....but worth a shot. 

I should know by or before 2pm tomorrow.

Bkk Bank will return the money if they can't... or won't ...forward.

Edited by JohnOFphon
New info

3 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

Some poster a few pages back said he sent money from his Borderless Wise account in NY to Bangkok Bank New York.   50 dollar test.

Wise charged him . 51c.

He claims...( could be a she) that Bangkok Bank NY received the money and forwarded it to his Bangkok Bank account here.  

So, I added Bangkok Bank NY as a recipient and sent a transfer from my Wise Borderless account to Bkk Bank this morning. 50 dollars. They also charged me  51c for the transfer.

I would imagine that Bangkok Bank will charge its usual receiving fee in Thailand (0.25% of amount set, minimum of 200 baht, maximum of 500 baht) so you would also have to look at the 200 baht as a cost.

On 10/10/2021 at 6:12 PM, billd766 said:

Would it be possible and legal, in my last few weeks of life for me and/or my wife to transfer money locked away in a single account (using online banking) to transfer that money into the joint account?

Not that I am anywhere near to popping my clogs yet but for future thoughts, just in case.

On 10/10/2021 at 6:12 PM, billd766 said:

Would it be possible and legal, in my last few weeks of life for me and/or my wife to transfer money locked away in a single account (using online banking) to transfer that money into the joint account?

Not that I am anywhere near to popping my clogs yet but for future thoughts, just in case.

Or if you have a debit card the next of kin just draws out the maximum each day and no mention of it but you know wagging tongues.
However, the same as property and seen posts stating distant cousins here can claim on the monies and properties and even with a will it can be contested.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

You do not need FET for extension of stay. 

Indeed, and it was completely inaccurate of Wise to suggest in their reply to @atpeace that it was obtainable in the case of our 40k/65k minimum monthly transfers. This is what the FET form looks like in case anyone is interested:-

https://www.bankofchina.co.th/dam/en-th/service/self-service/forms-download/foreign-exchange-transaction-form/P020170525615529265916.pdf

I had to complete this form several years ago for a GBP transfer which exceeded the then minimum (as I recall) of 20,000 USD.

3 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

Pib  said he sent money from his Borderless Wise account in NY to Bangkok Bank New York.   50 dollar test.

Wise charged him . 51c.

He reported that Bangkok Bank NY received the money and forwarded it to his Bangkok Bank account here.  

I personally haven't done the test but lexillis has.....see his post below.    That 51 cents is only the Wise sending fee....you'll still have have the Bangkok Bank NY and in-Thailand Bangkok Bank receiving fee.  However for a $50 or less sending amount there will not be a NY branch fee....see my post below

13 hours ago, Pib said:

@KannikaP

Wow....if Maria worked as a doorman no one would ever get thru her assigned door!

Question: how do you send your request to Wise?  Via email when you are "not" logged into your Wise acct or via secure message from within your acct?   If using some wise email address that is just read/responded to  by a general support rep then maybe that rep just don't know about tagging.  But if sending the request from when logged into your Wise acct/from within your Wise acct maybe Maria will not be the doorman you first encounter.

As well as from Maria, I have had emails from Kristopher and Sebastian F , who still all work for Transferwise, 

14 hours ago, Pib said:

But if sending the request from when logged into your Wise acct/from within your Wise acct maybe Maria will not be the doorman you first encounter.

That's how I've been contacting Wise - and specifically in connection with a particular transfer I've raised - and have yet to experience the "pleasure" of receiving a reply from the "delightful" Maria. My contact there both in connection with my original tagging request this time last year and, as it happens, again over the past week or so has been Kareem G who, in my experience, has proved most helpful.

Edited by OJAS

On 10/28/2021 at 1:31 PM, JohnOFphon said:

Wise charged him . 51c.

As I suspected. The transfer from Bangkok Bank New York was not forwarded to my account here.

Wise shows Bangkok Bank NY accepted the money. 

It's 2:20...past the time the deposit would of shown up.

Now I have to find a way to get the money in BkkBank NY back...

19 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

As I suspected. The transfer from Bangkok Bank New York was not forwarded to my account here.

Wise shows Bangkok Bank NY accepted the money. 

It's 2:20...past the time the deposit would of shown up.

Now I have to find a way to get the money in BkkBank NY back...

Believe that 2 pm is for Wise direct transfers - not transfers from Bangkok Bank NY.  I would give it several days before worry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe that 2 pm is for Wise direct transfers - not transfers from Bangkok Bank NY.  I would give it several days before worry.

Yes my test send from Wise via Bangkok Bank, New York showed up in my bank account the following morning instead of 2:00 PM the previous day like I thought it would.

OK, that's lexillis and majaco who have posted about successful Wise test transfers via Bangkok Bank NY ACH routing.  That is, where Wise uses the ACH system. 

Keep in mind the ACH system is basically a "batch" transfer system where banks (like Wise's U.S. partner bank) typically upload ACH files once or twice a day where they are processed overnight...by processed I mean the receiving bank like the Bangkok Bank NY branch.   Then the NY branch would need to relay it on Thailand.   

Now, same day ACH processing is now available but it's purely up to the sending bank if they offer that service...and if they do it may or may not be free...it may be a premium service.   I expect Wise and U.S. partner bank  process ACH transfer as a standard batch, overnight processing, initiate by a certain cut off time in the afternoon if you want your money to "really" begin it trek

And if a sending bank only uploads a batch file once a day....like say in their evening time and to get into that evening upload file a person's transaction had to be initiated by around  3 to 4pm U.S. time, if the person misses that cutoff time their money  will not really start its trek until the evening of the next business day although the sending bank's wording on your transfer might state/imply the receiving bank has already received the funds---which is not the case at all. 

And ACH is basically a Mon-Fri system;  Sat-Sun are considered non-business days.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

And just to harp on the ACH processing time a little more, I just received email notice from one of my U.S. banks regarding direct deposit of a  monthly govt pension...a govt pension paid via the "ACH" system.   

At the bottom is a partial quote of that notice which is basically saying in layman's terms that the bank is posting it to my account (basically giving me a warm fuzzy it has arrived in the bank's inbox so to speak), HOWEVER, BUT,  it still hasn't completed its full ACH processing cycle/fully cleared.  Therefore, it may not really be available to me right now if I wanted to immediately cash-out the money.  Kinda like we are showing you it has arrived, but you may not be able to touch it just yet as there is some more settlement/clearing to be finalized. 

So, in these Wise to Bangkok Bank NY transfers via the ACH system, Wise needs to first really get it uploaded/sent....Bangkok Bank NY needs to download/receive and be satisfied the funds are cleared....and then relay to Bangkok Bank in Thailand.  If the sending bank truly sends out same day....and a person hits all the cut off times just right....then a person might receive next business day.  To use an analogy if  person misses a cut-off time say by being 1 minute too late, well, the next transfer bus may not leave the bus station until 24 hours later next business day....and if that bus arrives the next station after a bus you needed to get on just left, then you could be waiting another 24 hours to continue your trek.  

Summary: ACH transfers typically take 2 to 3 business day (but can be longer) depending on the banks involved, but sometimes can get done in 1 business day if a person gets lucky in hitting all the cutoff times & gates just right.

Deposits and transfers received at or after the applicable cutoff time on a business day or anytime on a non-business day (Saturday, Sunday or federal holiday) may increase your available balance; however, the deposit or transfer:

·        

Is generally not used to pay certain items that may process the same day, including Automated Clearing House (ACH) transactions and checks, and

·        

May be available immediately for cash withdrawals and debit card transactions, subject to any holds.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Pib said:

And just to harp on the ACH processing time a little more, I just received email notice from one of my U.S. banks regarding direct deposit of a  monthly govt pension...a govt pension paid via the "ACH" system.   

At the bottom is a partial quote of that notice which is basically saying in layman's terms that the bank is posting it to my account (basically giving me a warm fuzzy it has arrived in the bank's inbox so to speak), HOWEVER, BUT,  it still hasn't completed its full ACH processing cycle/fully cleared.  Therefore, it may not really be available to me right now if I wanted to immediately cash-out the money.  Kinda like we are showing you it has arrived, but you may not be able to touch it just yet as there is some more settlement/clearing to be finalized. 

So, in these Wise to Bangkok Bank NY transfers via the ACH system, Wise needs to first really get it uploaded/sent....Bangkok Bank NY needs to download/receive and be satisfied the funds are cleared....and then relay to Bangkok Bank in Thailand.  If the sending bank truly sends out same day....and a person hits all the cut off times just right....then a person might receive next business day.  To use an analogy if  person misses a cut-off time say by being 1 minute too late, well, the next transfer bus may not leave the bus station until 24 hours later next business day....and if that bus arrives the next station after a bus you needed to get on just left, then you could be waiting another 24 hours to continue your trek.  

Summary: ACH transfers typically take 2 to 3 business day (but can be longer) depending on the banks involved, but sometimes can get done in 1 business day if a person gets lucky in hitting all the cutoff times & gates just right.

Ok, so 2 people have reported that the Wise NY to Bkkbank NY worked.

Makes me feel a little better...but

My deposit from Wise NY to Bkkbank was successfully sent on Thursday...7:30pm/ Not sure if that was US time, or local time here.  Successfully sent, doesn't mean received by Bkk bank NY.

Wise does note at the bottom of the transfer activity...""Keep in mind — It can take up to 2 working days for Bangkok Bank 's bank to credit the account.""

The transfer didn't show yesterday, and today being Sat. I hope it shows up Mon.  hope hope

.I'm just a nervous guy when it comes to sending money.  I'll see what Monday brings.

20 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

Ok, so 2 people have reported that the Wise NY to Bkkbank NY worked.

Makes me feel a little better...but

My deposit from Wise NY to Bkkbank was successfully sent on Thursday...7:30pm/ Not sure if that was US time, or local time here.  Successfully sent, doesn't mean received by Bkk bank NY.

Wise does note at the bottom of the transfer activity...""Keep in mind — It can take up to 2 working days for Bangkok Bank 's bank to credit the account.""

The transfer didn't show yesterday, and today being Sat. I hope it shows up Mon.  hope hope

.I'm just a nervous guy when it comes to sending money.  I'll see what Monday brings.

Thursday/7:30pm Thailand time would have been Thursday/8:30am U.S. Eastern Daylight Savings.   I expect/Wise would not have actually processed/upload the ACH transaction into the ACH system until sometime later that day/possibly in the evening.  Remember, ACH is basically a batch system where bank typically upload/process ACH transfers typically at the end of the business day "for overnight processing"....which means Bangkok Bank NY would not receive until the next business day earliest.   

With this overnight processing it's now Friday morning which is the earliest Bangkok Bank NY would have received your transfer.   Friday morning in New York is Friday night in Thailand which is past Bangkok Bank's 'in-Thailand" business hours.   Even if Bangkok Bank NY somehow relayed the money immediately upon receipt Bangkok Bank in Thailand is already closed for the day/Friday.  And Sat-Sun is non business days.  

You are probably looking at Monday or Tuesday to receive the transfer....but you might get lucky if Bangkok Bank in Thailand posts on Saturday any ACH transfer it might have received late Friday.  But normally, from my past experience with ACH transfers to Bangkok Bank in Thailand they typically post only Mon-Fri.....but this particular transfer is not purely a typically ACH transfer so maybe you'll get lucky with a Sat posting.   Although Bangkok Bank has some of it's branches open on Saturday and Sunday, HQ Bangkok Bank's international funds receiving dept does not operate 7 days a weeks....it's basically a Mon-Fri operation.

Also, that Wise note about Bangkok Bank posting time probably really applies to a normal ACH transfer where they think Bangkok Bank "NY" is the final receiving bank.....but in this case the NY  branch has to relay the funds to Thailand which is going to take some more time.

• Like 2

Must deposit the 800,000BT to my Thai bank account in January so I tested the system.

Yesterday I WISE transferred $200 from the USA to Thailand, KRUNGSRI Bank. Long stay funds. Took less than 5 minutes.

Updated the book today. Notation in bankbook. TN 6,650.

Guess I will be visiting the main branch next week to inquire if my WISE transfers will qualify for my Retirement extension incoming deposits.

Edited by LarrySR

7 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

Must deposit the 800,000BT to my Thai bank account in January so I tested the system.

Yesterday I WISE transferred $200 from the USA to Thailand, KRUNGSRI Bank. Long stay funds. Took less than 5 minutes.

Guess I will be visiting the main branch next week to inquire if my WISE transfers will qualify for my Retirement extension incoming deposits.

AFAIK there is no foreign requirement for 800k in bank method and bank would not have a clue about immigration.  You are aware that using 800k method funds need to be in bank at 800k five months (two months prior until 3 months after) and 400k all year under current rules.  Suspect this is your first extension if need to transfer 800k?

14 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

i guess you haven't read any of the posts on this thread about "long term stay" reason for transfer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

AFAIK there is no foreign requirement for 800k in bank method and bank would not have a clue about immigration.  You are aware that using 800k method funds need to be in bank at 800k five months (two months prior until 3 months after) and 400k all year under current rules.  Suspect this is your first extension if need to transfer 800k?

My Thai bank knows about immigration requirements because they do a letter for me confirming the amount in their bank for extension to stay application.

22 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

January 2021, I wired in 1 million BT so I had above the required seasoned 800,000BT for my March 2020 extension and after 3 months, let it dwindle down to 500,00BT.

In January 2022 I will again be wiring 1 million and was curious if the bankbook notation TN would satisfy immigration? 

Previously, I recall I needed a bank letter, confirming the funds were from overseas deposit to present to immigration.

Has this changed or is my memory shot I wonder?

Edited by LarrySR

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i guess you haven't read any of the posts on this thread about "long term stay" reason for transfer

The information in this 28 page thread is all over the place.

Looking for precise up to date info Mr. Smartypants. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

The information in this 28 page thread is all over the place.

Looking for precise up to date info Mr. Smartypants. 

Well Larry if you and Daryl and Daryl are looking on this thread for the answer to your money in the bank question.... You misread the thread topic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

Well Larry if you and Daryl and Daryl are looking on this thread for the answer to your money in the bank question.... You misread the thread topic.

Well, I like lopburi3's answer and will be double checking with my banker soon. 

Don't get your panties in a bunch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LarrySR said:

January 2021, I wired in 1 million BT so I had above the required seasoned 800,000BT for my March 2020 extension and after 3 months, let it dwindle down to 500,00BT.

In January 2022 I will again be wiring 1 million and was curious if the bankbook notation TN would satisfy immigration? 

Previously, I recall I needed a bank letter, confirming the funds were from overseas deposit to present to immigration.

Has this changed or is my memory shot I wonder?

You need the bank letter, but AFAIAA it is to confirm the balance, not the source of funds.

PH

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

You need the bank letter, but AFAIAA it is to confirm the balance, not the source of funds.

PH

Indeed the bank letter that all are required to present is just to confirm your ownership and balance on date of letter.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Indeed the bank letter that all are required to present is just to confirm your ownership and balance on date of letter.  

That's right this year new head woman at our immigration wanted the letter dated the day we apply. 

Never had to do that before in 16 years the bank book updated the day we apply was always accepted. ????

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That's right this year new head woman at our immigration wanted the letter dated the day we apply. 

Never had to do that before in 16 years the bank book updated the day we apply was always accepted. ????

Years ago, my bank letter stated 850,000bt then I withdrew 10,000bt updated the book. 840,000bt. 

Immigration officer would not accept it even though I was 40,000bt above the requirement. 
Official insisted the number in the letter and book match exactly and sent me away. 

Last year, I showed up with matching letter and book balance and the official insisted I go to the bank, make a withdrawal and update the book. 
Letter and book didn’t match up. 
no problem. 

• Like 1