Wise transfers not being processed as International (Specifically Bangkok Bank)

49 minutes ago, racyrick said:

Do you have to have a multi currency account to make a transfer from my bank to Bangkok Bank-NY branch?

Can you use the Debit ACH pull from my bank to transfer to the Bangkok Bank-NY branch? Thanks

- Yes 

- Not really sure what you are asking.  To transfer money to the Bangkok Bank NY branch (i.e., what Wise also refers to as a local transfer....with country transfer) you would have to do that by funding the transfer from your multicurrency acct.  And to fund the multicurrency acct funds can be pulled or pushed to the acct.   You can push from your bank acct or pull from your bank acct to top-up your multicurrency acct.

Just review the Wise website regarding their multicurrency accts.....tons of info.

Edit:  I just updated above to say you can push "or pull" funds.   Initially, I don't think you could do an ACH pull to top-up your multicurrency acct so that was still running around in my brain.  But you definitely top-up via ACH pull now plus a few other methods if you don't want to push the money instead.   I just did an operational test by adding/topping-up $50 by "pulling" it from my U.S. bank acct.  It posted to my Wise multicurrency acct in about 15 seconds...and the $50 top-up only cost 8 cents....don't know what a say a $2,100 pull would cost.   But other than this test, I would continue to "push" money from my U.S. bank as that don't cost me anything.

image.png.ce4305b2e1f0d128b152ef11f09e38de.png

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

"Do you have to have a multi currency account to make a transfer from my bank to Bangkok Bank-NY branch?

Can you use the Debit ACH pull from my bank to transfer to the Bangkok Bank-NY branch? Thanks"

I did the transfer through BBK NY as a domestic (US) transfer from my Wise USD account (which I have no idea is a "multi-currency account" or not). It was in my Thai BBK account (in Baht, coded FFT) in two days.

As Pib noted, BBK NY only accepts incoming transfers to Thailand IF they are in the International ACH (IAT) format. To avoid an issue with that, fund your Wise account with the Debit ACH, then do the transfer from that to BBK NY.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, lexilis said:

I did the transfer through BBK NY as a domestic (US) transfer from my Wise USD account (which I have no idea is a "multi-currency account" or not).

It was your "multicurrency" acct which Wise use to call its "borderless" acct.  Transferwise, excuse me Wise, likes to change the names periodically.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 11:53 AM, gearbox said:

I've done 2 more transfers, both came as FTT in my Bangkok bank ibanking. Looks it is fixed for me now.

I did yet another transfer, cleared up today, marked again as FTT by Bangkok bank.  I see in the thread that there is no clear resolution of the problem by Wise, but I did 5 transfers since 15th October and all came correctly tagged as international transfers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I did yet another transfer, cleared up today, marked again as FTT by Bangkok bank.  I see in the thread that there is no clear resolution of the problem by Wise, but I did 5 transfers since 15th October and all came correctly tagged as international transfers.

Sounds like your account is tagged? as long term stay reason doesn't work anymore

3 minutes ago, gearbox said:

You may have mentioned it upthread, but have you previously "tagged" your BBL account for transfers via BBL?

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Sounds like your account is tagged? as long term stay reason doesn't work anymore

Yes, after a few email exchanges they told me they tagged the profile to go via Bangkok Bank. But cautioned me that the tagging doesn't work 100%.

"Hello YYYY,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We've added the tag on your profile to make sure all your future transfers go through Bangkok bank. But, sometimes, we can;t guarantee it."

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

My Wise/BBK account is tagged nd has ben for several years.

Long Term stay certainly works for me, and probably quite a few other posters as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, treetops said:

Not any more without the tagging if this thread is anything to go by.

But as I posted earlier my BBK account IS already tagged and has been for over 2 years. I believe that many other people have their account tagged and the system works well for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

But as I posted earlier my BBK account IS already tagged and has been for over 2 years. I believe that many other people have their account tagged and the system works well for us.

Then you have no need for "long term stay".  Your recent post was misleading.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

I hear a lot of people talk about tagging their Wise accounts. Is there a link I can learn more about this?

There are probably hundreds of discussions mentioning it, but essentially if you want your transfers marked as coming from overseas, call Wise and ask them to tag your destination account to be tagged for incoming transfers to go through Bangkok Bank as the partner bank.

From this thread it seems like some Wise staff may not be aware of this option, so HUACA if this seems to be the case.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

I hear a lot of people talk about tagging their Wise accounts. Is there a link I can learn more about this?

I don't have a link, but with Wise, tagged/tagging happens when you contact Wise and ask them to put a special rule or request on your account or transfers.  Example, I emailed Wise and asked them to only route my Thai baht (THB) transfers through Bangkok Bank,  they responded by saying they placed a tag on my future THB transfers.

• Like 2

I thought this reply from Wise may be of interest.                                                                                                                                                                                                                            I had arranged tagging and had wanted to ensure that my correct Bangkok Bank account had been tagged.

"The tag is not related to one account number but rather the route from one currency to THB currency. 
So as long as that particular banking partner is fully functioning, we will be sending out payments via them therefore transfers will show up as international transfers.
I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions"

In my case "the route from one currency to THB currency" is EUR to THB.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, treetops said:

There are probably hundreds of discussions mentioning it, but essentially if you want your transfers marked as coming from overseas, call Wise and ask them to tag your destination account to be tagged for incoming transfers to go through Bangkok Bank as the partner bank.

From this thread it seems like some Wise staff may not be aware of this option, so HUACA if this seems to be the case.

Tagging only works "when sending to a Bangkok Bank acct" with Bangkok Bank being the partner bank used.   if not sending to a Bangkok Bank acct (i.e., Kbank, SCB, Krungsri, etc) although Wise will use Bangkok Bank as the partner bank the transfer will "not" receive international transfer coding at the receiving bank.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kalasiner said:

I thought this reply from Wise may be of interest.                                                                                                                                                                                                                            I had arranged tagging and had wanted to ensure that my correct Bangkok Bank account had been tagged.

"The tag is not related to one account number but rather the route from one currency to THB currency. 
So as long as that particular banking partner is fully functioning, we will be sending out payments via them therefore transfers will show up as international transfers.
I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions"

In my case "the route from one currency to THB currency" is EUR to THB.

That doesn't correspond to experiences mentioned upthread where it's the receiving account that gets tagged.  I think you may have fallen victim to a Wise employee who doesn't know what they're talking about.

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Tagging only works "when sending to a Bangkok Bank acct" with Bangkok Bank being the partner bank used.   if not sending to a Bangkok Bank acct (i.e., Kbank, SCB, Krungsri, etc) although Wise will use Bangkok Bank as the partner bank the transfer will "not" receive international transfer coding at the receiving bank.   

Agreed, I missed that bit.

14 minutes ago, treetops said:

That doesn't correspond to experiences mentioned upthread where it's the receiving account that gets tagged.  I think you may have fallen victim to a Wise employee who doesn't know what they're talking about.

I'm sure the Wise employee consulted with the appropriate department before sending her message.

When your acct is "tagged" what is really being tagged is not your Wise acct but which ever "recipient" account(s) you asked to be tagged.   

Say you had five recipient accts.  When you ask Wise to tag your acct they typically ask you which recipient(s) you want tagged....a specific one, these two, these three, these four, or all of them.   Some people may only want a certain recipient tagged or maybe all his recipients.   

If a person say only had one recipient and asked for their acct to be tagged then Wise might not ask which recipients because you only have one recipient....so, that could give the person the impression his whole acct was tagged.   

However, if he was to add a new recipient it would not be tagged until he went back to Wise and asked for that recipient to also be tagged.

If you have multiple recipient asking for "all your recipients" to be tagged to use Bangkok Bank as the partner bank may not be a smart move in those cases you don't care about FTT coding on a Bangkok Bank acct.  Instead, you care more about instant transfers to certain recipients.   When a recipient gets tagged to be routed thru Bangkok Bank as the partner bank then your transfer will not be instant but post later in the day around 2pm or next business day.  And as mentioned in another post, if Bangkok Bank is just relaying it to another Thai bank then international coding does not occur.  This international transfer/FTT coding is purely an "intra-Bangkok Bank" thing...that is, when Bankgok Bank is the partner bank and the recipient is a Bangkok Bank acct.

• Like 2

Example of tagging when having multiple Bangkok Bank recipients. 

I have four Bangkok Bank recipients loaded in my Wise acct.  I had two of those recipient accts tagged to use Bangkok Bank as the partner bank and the other two Bangkok Bank recipients are not tagged.  

When I send funds to the two "tagged" accts using whatever reason for transfer they arrive with FTT coding around 2pm same business day or next business day around 2pm. 

When I send fund to the other two "non-tagged" accts using whatever reason for transfer they typically arrive instantly and without FTT coding because Wise seems to be typically using K-bank for the partner bank.  But if by chance Wise happened to pick Bangkok Bank as the partner bank for that non-tagged transfer the transfer will arrive with FTT coding around 2pm same business or 2pm next business day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, treetops said:

Then you have no need for "long term stay".  Your recent post was misleading.

But not misleading to me as I believe in the KISS principle.

I also believe in the engineering principle of

"If it works, then don't fark with it".

• Like 1

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

My Wise/BBK account is tagged nd has ben for several years.

Long Term stay certainly works for me, and probably quite a few other posters as well.

Try it using any of the other reasons for transfer, it will still work hence long term stay does nothing now

• Like 1
  • Confused 1