UK Passport renewal

On 10/10/2021 at 8:54 AM, Kwasaki said:

I found them very good as it was during covid time and saved a load of hassle and your passport stays secure with EMS.

If you send your passport off keep a full copy of it. 

You do not need to hand in your passport. Its only required twice for short periods of time.

Although my UK passport does not expire until April 2022 my retirement visa renewal is due mid December this year>
Yesterday I asked at Khon Kaen immigration ( 90 day report ) what I needed to do re renewing retirement visa, they advised to get new passport now to save lots of paper filling and costs here.

It is my understanding that if one is doing renewal themselves ( not agent ) then the UK does not need your passport as it is cancelled on receipt of new passport application.     Is this still the case when using an agent ?

When I got my UK passport renewd 20 years ago it was done by post to Hong Kong.     Ten years ago I was in UK on holiday so had it done there.     My query is that the photo had to be done with a special camera, what form of photo is required if you do renewal via an agent ?

Any general "useful" advice would be most welcome, noting that I don't wish to travel to Bangkok during Covid.

Thank you

1 minute ago, Speedo1968 said:

Although my UK passport does not expire until April 2022 my retirement visa renewal is due mid December this year>
Yesterday I asked at Khon Kaen immigration ( 90 day report ) what I needed to do re renewing retirement visa, they advised to get new passport now to save lots of paper filling and costs here.

It is my understanding that if one is doing renewal themselves ( not agent ) then the UK does not need your passport as it is cancelled on receipt of new passport application.     Is this still the case when using an agent ?

When I got my UK passport renewd 20 years ago it was done by post to Hong Kong.     Ten years ago I was in UK on holiday so had it done there.     My query is that the photo had to be done with a special camera, what form of photo is required if you do renewal via an agent ?

Any general "useful" advice would be most welcome, noting that I don't wish to travel to Bangkok during Covid.

Thank you

No special camera, just the right dimensions and background. 

9 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Thanks.
Sorry for the multiple posting

Download the forms for UK passport renewal and all the information is there. 

If you use an agent like I did they need to keep your old passport to be able to collect your new one. 

40 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Thank you

For 5k it's easier to use a professional service. The agent needs your passport to photocopy it and then again for the Bangkok trip.

I hope OP doesn't mind me asking my question here, but it's related and saves starting a new thread.

My UK PP expires April 2023. My next retirement renewal is due in July 2022. I'm planning on going to Australia around Oct 2022, and thought I'd renew my UK PP in Australia, which I believe is easier and quicker than doing it here in Thailand.

But what's going to happen when I go to Thai Imm in July 2022 to renew my Retirement ext. and I have 9 months validity left on my PP? Will they extend my retirement ext only up to the expiry date of the PP (ie give me 9 months instead of the usual 12 months? 

2 minutes ago, grain said:

I hope OP doesn't mind me asking my question here, but it's related and saves starting a new thread.

My UK PP expires April 2023. My next retirement renewal is due in July 2022. I'm planning on going to Australia around Oct 2022, and thought I'd renew my UK PP in Australia, which I believe is easier and quicker than doing it here in Thailand.

But what's going to happen when I go to Thai Imm in July 2022 to renew my Retirement ext. and I have 9 months validity left on my PP? Will they extend my retirement ext only up to the expiry date of the PP (ie give me 9 months instead of the usual 12 months? 

From what I was told and understood you will have renew before your next retirement extension.

2 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Yes. They won't extend beyond the validity of the passport. 

Yes, I understand that they won't extend beyond the validity, but will they extend up to the validity, which is OK with me?

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

From what I was told and understood you will have renew before your next retirement extension.

Yes, I suspect that may be the case. If they could only give me 9 months that would suit me. I'm going to Korat Imm next week to do my 90 days, so I will ask there.

10 minutes ago, grain said:

Yes, I suspect that may be the case. If they could only give me 9 months that would suit me. I'm going to Korat Imm next week to do my 90 days, so I will ask there.

I think validity for 9 months is possible.

Best ask @ubonjoe

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I used an agent. The wife. 

Why not, if your wife understands the procedure and deals with it OK, then may as well. In general Thais don't like dealing with farang...Thai rak Thai. 

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2021 at 8:42 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

I'm on a Thai forum! Do you think I'm applying from Spain  or the Amazon or Kuwait..LOL...Obviously I'm here in Thailand...otherwise I'd go to my office in London or do it online...Lol

am on a Thai forum and live in Germany!!!!

1 hour ago, beano2274 said:

no accreditation on the website, saying it is allowed to do so by the UK Government, or did I miss that?

An applicant for a UK Passport can nominate anybody to act as their agent, agents don’t need to be accredited, just supply the correct documentation and authorisation from the applicant.

There are a number of agents who provide this service, including at least two in Pattaya. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, theoldgit said:

An applicant for a UK Passport can nominate anybody to act as their agent, agents don’t need to be accredited, just supply the correct documentation and authorisation from the applicant.

There are a number of agents who provide this service, including at least two in Pattaya. 

thanks on the form you must say that someone else did the application for you?

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

An applicant for a UK Passport can nominate anybody to act as their agent

Exactly right. Just get a family member to act on your behalf. Pay them 500 Baht for the day and job done. A visa agent would do the same and make a couple of thousand for just that. Many a Thai would bite your hand off for 500 Baht.

7 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Exactly right. Just get a family member to act on your behalf. Pay them 500 Baht for the day and job done. A visa agent would do the same and make a couple of thousand for just that. Many a Thai would bite your hand off for 500 Baht.

How much for taxi fare to Bangkok? How much for photo copies. How much for the professional expertise of people who have done the job before and know where the office is and which department to go to?

• Like 1