Superman is Bisexual -- thanks but no thanks?

Jingthing

The predictable extremely homophobic reactions triggered by bi Superman are perhaps ammunition for my thesis here -- that gay people need this like a hole in the head. More ammunition for the haters all over the world. Is it worth it? I say no. Don't get me wrong I'm generally all for LGBT visibility but maybe better to leave triggering icons like Superman in the bad old days.

This reminds me of a recurring discussion point among American Jews about why there hasn't ever been a Jewish president. The argument often goes, don't even wish for that, it would be too much unhelpful attention (no matter how good a president she might be).

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

The predictable extremely homophobic reactions triggered by bi Superman are perhaps ammunition for my thesis here -- that gay people need this like a hole in the head. More ammunition for the haters all over the world. Is it worth it? I say no. Don't get me wrong I'm generally all for LGBT visibility but maybe better to leave triggering icons like Superman in the bad old days.

Moving society forward should not be halted by a fear of offending the bigoted and unenlightened in the same society. If you advocate for that thought then the Civil Rights movement would never have happened, suffragettes would have been a footnote of history and the amazing advances already achieved for the LGBT community would never have happened.

If a bi-sexual brother of Superman (again, not Superman) 'triggers' people this badly then I'm completely the reverse to your 'Is it worth it? I say no' bury your head in the sand stance. 

I say, get it out, get it in their faces and to hell with their prejudice. 

In other words; be loud and proud!

4 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Moving society forward should not be halted by a fear of offending the bigoted and unenlightened in the same society. If you advocate for that thought then the Civil Rights movement would never have happened, suffragettes would have been a footnote of history and the amazing advances already achieved for the LGBT community would never have happened.

If a bi-sexual brother of Superman (again, not Superman) 'triggers' people this badly then I'm completely the reverse to your 'Is it worth it? I say no' bury your head in the sand stance. 

I say, get it out, get it in their faces and to hell with their prejudice. 

In other words; be loud and proud!

I understand your POV but the fact that both Putin Russian and trumpist American propagandists both instantly reacted to this news with exactly the same hate filled talking points indicates to me this particular change is a gift to enemies of LGBT civil rights internationally. Pick your battles. Again I don't think this comic book level change is good for LGBT people. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Jingthing,  I get the notion that all your doing is trying to stir up trouble.  Who cares what Superman was  ?

he was a hero to me and millions so why do you try to tarnish things with your nonsense.

I have no idea what you're saying. I'm not pleased that the new Superman is bi because I don't think it's worth the international homophobic backlash.

Here's a better idea:

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Jingthing,  I get the notion that all your doing is trying to stir up trouble.  Who cares what Superman was  ?

he was a hero to me and millions so why do you try to tarnish things with your nonsense.

Some might even go beyond this and ask why one requires the romantic notions of hero worship regarding a fabricated fictitious character.....??? Aren't we already overcome with enough manufactured delusions?

• Like 2

Just now, zzaa09 said:

Some might even go beyond this and ask why one requires the romantic notions of hero worship regarding a fabricated fictitious character.....??? Aren't we already overcome with enough manufactured delusions?

Perhaps an interesting academic discussion for some but Superman is a long standing iconic thing that's not going  away so we deal with things as they are.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Perhaps an interesting academic discussion for some but Superman is a long standing iconic thing that's not going  away so we deal with things as they are.

Of course. 

It's all so real......for some.????????????

2 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Of course. 

It's all so real......for some.????????????

Not to me. I don't care. But scads of people do. So now "we" as in the so called collective LGBT agenda have messed with their straight Superman. Not in my name! Straight people -- you can keep him! That's what I would say. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 10/26/2021 at 3:20 PM, Jingthing said:

I hear what you're saying JT....but hasn't this ship already sailed?  The creators will do what they want to do, it doesn't matter if everyone approves.  Or are you suggesting that if enough people object, they'll change their minds....?

3 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I hear what you're saying JT....but hasn't this ship already sailed?  The creators will do what they want to do, it doesn't matter if everyone approves.  Or are you suggesting that if enough people object, they'll change their minds....?

Of course I know they won't change it. Just expressing my opinion that I wish they hadn't gone there.

Its funny how times change ,i remember back in the 60s my grandad mentioning that my cousin wore suede shoes and had opera glasses,we all knew what he meant ,some time later i was a teenager and my cousin took me to a bar ,it was full of men ,he introduced me and then said "this is my cousin___- he likes girls"  in other words he is not gay ,although in those days gay was not  what homosexual people were called 

1 minute ago, ivor bigun said:

Its funny how times change ,i remember back in the 60s my grandad mentioning that my cousin wore suede shoes and had opera glasses,we all knew what he meant ,some time later i was a teenager and my cousin took me to a bar ,it was full of men ,he introduced me and then said "this is my cousin___- he likes girls"  in other words he is not gay ,although in those days gay was not  what homosexual people were called 

Americans used to say light in the loafers. That cracks me up.

• 5 months later...
On 10/25/2021 at 4:50 AM, Jingthing said:

In case you weren't being sarcastic, no, he doesn't HAVE to be straight.

Many millions of bi people in the world. More bis than gay.

If superman is bi then he is less bigoted than straights or gays cause he plays both sides.

On 10/26/2021 at 6:35 PM, Jingthing said:

I understand your POV but the fact that both Putin Russian and trumpist American propagandists both instantly reacted to this news with exactly the same hate filled talking points indicates to me this particular change is a gift to enemies of LGBT civil rights internationally. Pick your battles. Again I don't think this comic book level change is good for LGBT people. 

No such thing as one group of people. 2 straight guys can hate each other. Two gays can hate each other. Two bis can hate each other.

Given there are far more bis in the world than gay it's representing more people not less.