Re-entering Thailand On Non-O - Covid Insurance Required?

36 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

why not let it

pass, since posters before you had already given the correct answer

"....posters before you had already given correct answer" ??

My post was the first.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I entered on a re-entry permit based on a Non-O and did not need 40/400K insurance. This seems to be something only some Embassies are asking for.

It is actually a requirement only for O-A, not O, visa holders. Some Embassies are unclear on the difference.

I have never heard of anyone, ever, be asked to show proof of 40/400K by immigration on entry with an O visa oir re-entry permit based on one. Only peopke with O-A.

Thank you.  I was also in the belief that reentry on existing non

"O" did NOT require a health certificate.

Immigration confirmed this morning that ONLY non O-A visas required this insurance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, statman78 said:

The same wording appears on the Thai consulate website in the US.  I have a retirement extension based on a non-o visa.  This past June I came back to Thailand after a short visit to the US using a valid re-entry permit.  I only needed the Covid insurance which covers me until the end do my extension.  I did not need the 40/400k insurance.

Ditto.

Easy enough to find out: apply for the COE uploading only COVID insurance and see what happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raindancer said:

Thank you.  I was also in the belief that reentry on existing non

"O" did NOT require a health certificate.

Immigration confirmed this morning that ONLY non O-A visas required this insurance.

Immigration does not know anything about requirements for a COE. Just as Embassies do nto know anything about extensions in-country. What they told you is applicable to in-country extensions as that is what they deal with.

All entries require a COVID test and COVID insurance (not a health certificate). Only entries on an O-A visa require 40/400K insurance but some Embassies apparently do not understand that.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, damascase said:

Yes, plus you have to have health insurance for at least 40.000 baht outpatient and 400.000 baht inpatient treatment.

All necessary to get a Certificate of Entry, in today’s situation.

No no no!  Only one policy required with health cover for at least $100000, as long as it explicitly states it covers Covid19, or u provide a supporting letter from your insurance company which states that it does.

I just re-entered Thailand with an O visa retirement extension re-entry permit with the free insurance cover provided by Emirates for a return flight.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, statman78 said:

The same wording appears on the Thai consulate website in the US.  I have a retirement extension based on a non-o visa.  This past June I came back to Thailand after a short visit to the US using a valid re-entry permit.  I only needed the Covid insurance which covers me until the end do my extension.  I did not need the 40/400k insurance.

And that wording is correct since it refers to a m O-A visa.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

If I left Thailand and my extension expired I could say that "I'm re-entering Thailand with a non O retirement VISA."

Meaning a NEW non O visa. 

Indeed currents threads asking about that very process. 

Yes, you could say that, and yes, you'd be entering with a visa.  But non-O is not specifically retirement, O-A is.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Immigration does not know anything about requirements for a COE. Just as Embassies do nto know anything about extensions in-country. What they told you is applicable to in-country extensions as that is what they deal with.

All entries require a COVID test and COVID insurance (not a health certificate). Only entries on an O-A visa require 40/400K insurance but some Embassies apparently do not understand that.

Semantics!!  I was referring to the 40k/400k for existing westerners from Thailand returning to Thailand on a rentry visa with Non imm O

Visa as opposed to someone entering on a non imm O-A.

So, despite your assertions,  Immigration DO know what they are talking about. 

20 hours ago, damascase said:

with no less than 40,000 THB coverage for out-patient treatment and no less than 400,000 THB for in-patient treatment

The clue is in "No less". It does NOT have to be separate insurance as long as it is included in the $100000 cover. And I think half the Thais in Thailand who write the regs dont seem to understand that in/out patient are not classifications that are specified for insurance in the big bad outside world. And the half that do know this still want to con foreigners into buying separate Thai insurance for it. But the bottom line is that it is accepted for a COE. There is also some hype and confusion over whether it is required for an OA visa application. But I dont think it does as I helped a close friend apply for an OA visa last year and travel insurance specifying Covid cover was accepted in the UK. Mind u I think they thought the cover was for 1 year when in fact it was for 6 months. But the point is it was accepted with none of this separate 400/40k in/out cover nonsense required.

21 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

found something that looked quite legitimate that would cover the necessities for 2600 baht/month for an annual policy.

That is about right. If you don't want to take any chances, get 3 months for 7,500; enter on a 60-day tourist visa and extend for 30 (you don't need the covid insurance for that extension, but who knows...)

1 hour ago, cape said:

That is about right. If you don't want to take any chances, get 3 months for 7,500; enter on a 60-day tourist visa and extend for 30 (you don't need the covid insurance for that extension, but who knows...)

I guess I wasn't clear enough at the beginning. I've had a Non-O  retirement visa/subsequent extensions for over ten years. I'm planning on visiting the states next year and wondered what insurance requirements if any would be needed for re-entry.

What I've seen now is medical insurance NOT necessary, Covid insurance most likely necessary (though with the recent announcement that COE's may not be necessary from 1 Nov on, who knows?). I found Covid insurance at under $100 for a year with a quick Google search.

• Like 1

Let's clarify this:

For a Non-0 retirement visa with Re-entry Permits, what is the insurance requirement, as of October 1? Also, are the Non-O and O-A requirements similar? 

I am taking a short trip out of the country, and want to know the facts about insurance requirements. 

There seems to be a distinction between the $100K Covid insurance requirement and the 400/40 health insurance requirement, are both required? 

Note that I prefer to self-insure, so if I can get back to Thailand without buying insurance, that would be optimal. Especially since my extention ends in late 2022, so insurance would be expensive. 

Edited by Danderman123

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

Let's clarify this:

For a Non-0 retirement visa with Re-entry Permits, what is the insurance requirement, as of October 1?

I am taking a short trip out of the country, and will use Thailand Pass for my return. 

There seems to be a distinction between the $100K Covid insurance requirement and the 400/40 health insurance requirement, are both required? 

Note that I prefer to self-insure, so if I can get back to Thailand without buying insurance, that would be optimal. Especially since my extention ends in late 2022, so insurance would be expensive. 

From all the info I've received over the last two days, a Non-O retiree returning with a re-entry permit, medical insurance NOT required, Covid insurance IS required. I've seen what looks like an acceptable annual Covid policy for under $100 USD. I found this on a casual Google search:

covid insurance.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 3:45 PM, damascase said:

If you return on Non-O plus re-entry permit: yes, you do need it, as I experienced.

From the Embassy’s website:

When requesting for a COE, holders of a valid Re-entry Permit (Retirement) who wish to return to Thailand using the Re-entry Permit (Retirement), are required to submit a copy of health insurance policy which covers the length of stay in Thailand with no less than 40,000 THB coverage for out-patient treatment and no less than 400,000 THB for in-patient treatment. Applicant may consider buying a Thai health insurance online at longstay.tgia.org. You may also be asked by the immigration to present the original insurance policy upon your arrival in Thailand.

This is not needed from the UK for someone with an existing re entry permit only new Non O applications based on Retirement,although I am aware that some embassy's are requiring it for all.

• Like 1