New Immigration Bureau boss signals new orders so police can easily track down foreign suspects in Thailand

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He says better screening and database technology has already helped to make Thailand less of a paradise for these types who use the country for drug trafficking and a range of online scams that not only damage the country’s reputation but cause harm to Thai people.

Lol.......have you had a look in your own backyard, all the way from the top down ?

Nice deflection for some, but not me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

What, the 90 day reporting isn't good enough to track down all these criminals quickly? Perhaps they should make it 7 day, or every day, reporting.  That would work.

That will give them something to think about in the canteen

20 minutes ago, seajae said:

easier to blame farangs than the pathetic police that really dont care unless there is money to be made from it, so much for their "smart" cars that are supposed to be able to sort this sort of thing out extremely quickly. Takes them many years to find thais that have murdered people but 5 days is too long for a farang to be found, really shows how racist these idiots really are, blaming foreigners instead of accepting that their police force is a joke at best, they are the real criminals as has been shown time and again

Correct indeed, this is a new broom man spouting off and getting attention he needs 

• Like 1

these types who use the country for drug trafficking and a range of online scams that not only damage the country’s reputation but cause harm to Thai people.

Neatly sums up RTP.  (Not so much online scams as this requires a modicum of intelligence.)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Sadly, whilst I do think increased vetting is a sensible idea, I suspect this initiative will result in a standard Thai "sledge hammer and nut" solution.

It's far easier to assume we are all criminals on the run than it is to actually filter out the bad guys.

Is there no international database for convicted criminals that is accessible for immigration officers ?

There should be one ...

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

What, the 90 day reporting isn't good enough to track down all these criminals quickly? Perhaps they should make it 7 day, or every day, reporting.  That would work.

once a month it'll be changed to

everyone knows the easiest way to find a criminal is by looking at who missed their reporting

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Sadly, whilst I do think increased vetting is a sensible idea, I suspect this initiative will result in a standard Thai "sledge hammer and nut" solution.

It's far easier to assume we are all criminals on the run than it is to actually filter out the bad guys.

I agree.. I also think, in fairness to thailand, that this would also be the same in many other countries as well… exacerbated in those counties where domestic privacy and rights-of-the-accused are lacking or weak overall. 

Thailand’s Immigration Police can now halt any passenger boarding a plane for Thailand if the person is deemed a threat to the security and well being of the country.

Isn't that what the APIS (Advanced Passenger Information System) is, for which we've been charged an extra fee as part of the ticket price for several years? Hardly news!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Criminal record check

Well this is what i don't understand 'coz nowhere in this deranged blokes story, does it mention any previous history of crimes and he had a legit visa, so how could have immigration prevented his heinous behaviour. I hope he gets what's due in a Thai Jail. Maybe they also need to check mental illness records as well.

4 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

Thai thinking 101.

When you have media that spend their time only reporting the problems with the farangs in Pukhet and Pattaya (Russian mafia, crimes, rapes ...) what do you want the Thais to think of us?
Anyway here it's been brainwashed from school: We are a chosen people, the farangs are fools.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, mberbae said:

In the meantime, never mind about the Red Bull murderer.

10+ years and they STILL haven't caught him.

Oh yeah...brown envelops, the language of LOS.

Well, hope I am not too pedantic, but a fundamental axiom of Thainess is [rich ≣ respectable].

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

he had a legit visa, so how could have immigration prevented his heinous behaviour.

- Visas are delivered by Embassies and Consulates whereas applicable, Embassies and Consulates are tied to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

- Immigration officers/offices are a branch of the Royal Thai Police, most likely tied to the Ministry of Interior (think Home Office).

From that view point it is safe to assume there is either very little communication to no communication at all between these two different ministries/branches of the government.

It's like going to your national electricity provider and enquiring about your water bill and vice versa, they might be bodies of the govt, however they have no access to either's database.

Again getting a visa applied to your travel document (passport) doesn't guarantee you a full entry into the Kingdom. It is at the discretion of the immigration.

TL;DR The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Edited by NanaSomchai
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mbenson said:

Wait a minute. It was no more difficult to capture this guy than it would be to capture a Thai suspect. In fact, because he is farang, it was probably easier. So now this triggers some sort of new vetting and surveillance program? They figured out who this guy is and where to find in him in one or two days.

Just what Thailand needs a xenophobic immigration honcho, who wants to increase vetting on tourists! 

I think your being a bit tough... think about this head guy of immigration... he has has no spot light in almost two years, TAT gets airtime every week, Health Department every week, CCSA every week and this poor guy has had nothing....I mean think about it even the plastic bags that the RTP use have had more coverage so  at last when the gates are about to open he gets his chance to once more proudly strut on the stage.. so what was he going to say that would be a meaningful and triumphant return to the limelight.....bad guys out good guys in has been done to death so of course its going new orders so that police can more easily track down foreign criminals... hang on hang on.. if RTP mandate only extends to Thailand then that effectively means the criminals  are in so that doesnt really make sense for the immigration chief to be saying that as it implies failure on their side  for letting them in the country  ... ok first attempt in a long while.. have a free turn then  555

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Criminal record check

Would you?

And do you think it's a good idea for first world countries to allow a Banana Republic like Thailand access to this kind of sensitive information in our Western databases knowing the ways they could and would abuse such information?

Ridiculous

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

He says better screening and database technology has already helped to make Thailand less of a paradise for these types who use the country for drug trafficking and a range of online scams that not only damage the country’s reputation but cause harm to Thai people.

Drug trafficking by foreigners is a real problem since it interferes with drug trafficking in the Golden Triangle and the Burmese factories of Ice and Yaba in partnership with Thailand. Why do you think they removed all controls on the roads and in Bkk?
Online scams ... are we talking about the number of foreigners who are extorted, robbed, ruined each year by the Thais and the complicity of the police?
I really have to stop reading these news because it makes me want to give them an arm of honor and go and settle elsewhere.
Anyway, when they see that returning tourists represent 20% of their estimates, we'll start having a good laugh. I bet we'll get the THB back to where it was 10 or 15 years ago and even that won't be enough. 50% flight prices will follow; ditto for hotels ...
Start printing back your T-shirts "I love farangs"

8 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

For years if you u have being thru swampy they take a pic and they have the software  to check you and your features.so very hard to fool them even if you change your names

errr... the lack of understanding in technlogy in your post is astounding.

Facial recognition software doesn't digitally store pictures of your face, that is just not how it works, instead it captures critical waypoints across your face like distance between your eyes and other key points of your facial structure, then stores it in a database for recognition at a later time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_recognition_system

A biometric system based on facial recognition only is subpar at best in terms of efficiency, it requires other data input such as fingerprints or identity details (name,  surname, DOB, etc) to be fully functional.

This is what the biometric system at swampy does by taking your pictures AND now your fingerprints since 2018~2019.

Edited by NanaSomchai
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Oxx said:

Nah, give each of us an Immigration Officer to follow us around and carry our wallets to make sure we only spend our money on correct "cultural" activities and they probably still wouldn't be able to find us quickly.

It might deter the local police from applying "brown envelope" stops though.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

and money laundering - criminals from various countries launder the cash they got from criminal activity buying bars condo's etc

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

As the old saying goes: "New broom sweeps well" every head of department who comes in flex their muscles and brag a lot, the proof is the pudding we shall wait and see...

As another old saying goes "Old broom knows all the corners".

Just a pity they don't use brooms much in the RTP.........................

• Haha 1