New Immigration Bureau boss signals new orders so police can easily track down foreign suspects in Thailand

webfact

2 minutes ago, OishiRefill said:

That post was humorously replying to the poster who, quite rightly, pointed out another poster that it's not possible to "spot" a criminal from the external appearance. I can't get the hang of the forum 'quote & reply' system. 

OK my bad - took you too seriously, ignore my responses.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mokwit said:

yes the fact that you just don't like them and thus accuse them of being criminals -  what ACTUAL EVIDENCE do you have that they are criminals?

I am totally indifferent to "them", personally. I was making a humorous reply to you. Agreeing with your comment to Khaopad999.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OishiRefill said:

I am totally indifferent to "them", personally. I was making a humorous reply to you. Agreeing with your comment to Khaopad999.

You did the spoof too well - thought you really were one of those types.

7 minutes ago, Dambuster said:

Police Lieutenant General Pakpoomphiphat Sajjapan has also revealed that under new entry vetting procedures, Thailand’s Immigration Police can now halt any passenger boarding a plane for Thailand if the person is deemed a threat to the security and well being of the country. 

Someone may need to tell the good Police Lieutenant General that the Thai Immigration Police have no jurisdiction outside of Thailand and cannot halt anybody boarding a plane for Thailand while on another nations sovereign soil. 

Just sayin’

Agree this would be impossible, and would imply a member of the RTP was deployed at every airport with departures to Thaiand.

On a more realistic interpretation maybe they get advance passenger lists sent before departure, but even the process of checking before arrival would be a struggle too, operationally. Probably best to vet arrivals as now (or better than now).

Pre-covid the last few times I passed through swampy no one asked me to use the fingerprint machines.

6 hours ago, mikebike said:

Yes. It is, of course, the Immigration Bureau who runs all investigations into native Thai criminality. How can they possibly be so neglectful and only speak of immigration-related issues? ????????????

perfect example  The Red Bull Ferrari Kid that has evaporated  555

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The new police boss wants to see an improvement in security databases and intelligence on foreigners living in Thailand going forward.

we should expect a drastic increase in smart BMW's driving around, paid by the new 500 baht tourist entry fee  555

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Considering the amount of people getting back into the country by changing or adjusting their name, they will only be denying idiot criminals entry

Name changes are unlikely to work as they are almost certainly using facial recognition these days. A few years ago I arrived at BKK early morning and went direct to Immigration at CW to file TM30 and other stuff. My picture from from arrival in the airport was exceptionally clear on the immigration database. Very easy to digitise and use in facial recognition systems.

Edited by soi3eddie
typo

Speaking on Saturday, he said that his goal would be to make foreigners entering Thailand for the purpose of criminal activity think twice and to create an environment where they are fearful of doing so.

Yet what he'll accomplish is that he'll alienate the 99.9% of expats living here in peace while making foreigners entering Thailand for the purpose non-criminal activity think twice about coming at all because Thailand now has an even more fearfully xenophobic and racist environment aimed directly at non-Thais than ever before. 

Boy Howdy I can't wait to see the new and improved harassment measures fit for criminal parolees.  Mandatory GPS trackers anyone?  New hand-drawn maps to my residence of 14 years to add to the stacks of hand-drawn maps they already have (ain't it time to embrace technology Pak dear buddy?  You know, like a printed Google map with GPS coordinates and an "X" where I live.  That way if I commit a crime like all of us evil expats plan to do, then the cops can go right to where I won't be if I'm on the run!!!)
Another day in paradise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s Immigration Police can now halt any passenger boarding a plane for Thailand

This will require the active participation of any country with airports originating or transmitting flights to Thailand. Overseas postings for pairs of TIP to apply their rules in places they have no jurisdiction. Dream on!

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Well this is what i don't understand 'coz nowhere in this deranged blokes story, does it mention any previous history of crimes and he had a legit visa, so how could have immigration prevented his heinous behaviour. I hope he gets what's due in a Thai Jail. Maybe they also need to check mental illness records as well.

a criminal record check would filter out a lot of the riff raff, of course some people will be first time offenders

3 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Would you?

And do you think it's a good idea for first world countries to allow a Banana Republic like Thailand access to this kind of sensitive information in our Western databases knowing the ways they could and would abuse such information?

Ridiculous

they won't need to access a database, those entering would need to provide a certificate of sorts, i think those getting a work permit need to get one, non imm OA need to get one. No issue if you don't have a criminal record?

38 minutes ago, connda said:

(ain't it time to embrace technology Pak dear buddy? 

Lazada can find me. 
Shopee can find me. 
The Thai post office can find me.

Easy-peezy!

So riddle me this. Why are immigration's databases so outdated that you can't - right now - find any foreigner declared address in one click? Also - why is your online 90 day reporting 50 years outdated and non-functional so often.  Is it running on WIndows 3.1 on Paradox?

Lazada can do it
Shopee can do it
The Thai post office can do it.

Why is it such a major problem for the immigration branch of the RTP?

Speaking as an ex-computer-science type of guy here in the 21th century, I find your dilemma as one that is self-imposed.  It's your own fault.
But?  Blame the evil non-Thais that you vilify and need to track for the crime of breathing the same air as precious Thai people.

And btw - you're database of current addresses isn't going to do squat if someone commits a crime and runs.  What moronic criminal returns home to wait for the cops?
I'm mean, granted, the RTP have a serious job in front of them. How about that Thai feller with the Farrari that killed one of your brethren and yet is as free as a bird?  If you can't find a Thai billionaire how do you expect to find a "nobody farang?"

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

Once your biometrics details have been entered into that database, you're stored there for virtually... forever.

When it actually works - or - when the Immigration RTP get a few terminals to be able to tap into that data.  This country must have a few hundred government databases none of which share data. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

they won't need to access a database, those entering would need to provide a certificate of sorts, i think those getting a work permit need to get one, non imm OA need to get one. No issue if you don't have a criminal record?

Not to me, No.

That is not the way the civil rights people see it in civilized countries and they are powerful.

I don't want Thailand having any more information on me, they have way too much already.

And I don't trust them with information.

• Like 1

No worries, the clown talks hot air - as all the rest of the flock. Just look on how scared the Red Bull kiddo is; crapping his pampers full daily over the fear of Thai officers in far-away London!

What this fellow is not aware of is the fact, that most legal, law-abiding foreigners live in a suffocating climate of fear against them by corrupt government officials on all levels. Be it the little police man, be it immigration officers asking for „speed-up fees“, „tips“ etc. to process what is their duty in the first place, the „fixer“ who helps through the amazing maze of contradictory laws, regulations, common-sense-less instructions ............. It takes ruthless criminals to not care a thing about all those Thai stand-ins in uniform, the law-abiding people are scared and not those the divine big wig of immigration wants to impress!

Next please ........

• Like 2

"Thailand’s new Immigration Bureau boss wants a tighter ship when it comes to tracking foreign residents in the kingdom and tourists."

So, more bureaucracy at Immigration Offices when applying for an extension?

I have to take more than 100 signed photocopies every year for mine!

No wonder the rainforests are in decline!

Edited by sambum

8 minutes ago, sambum said:

"Thailand’s new Immigration Bureau boss wants a tighter ship when it comes to tracking foreign residents in the kingdom and tourists."

So, more bureaucracy at Immigration Offices when applying for an extension?

I have to take more than 100 signed photocopies every year for mine!

No wonder the rainforests are in decline!

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The new police boss wants to see an improvement in security databases and intelligence on foreigners living in Thailand going forward.

This is the scary part: 'intelligence on foreigners living in Thailand'. Got that?