New Immigration Bureau boss signals new orders so police can easily track down foreign suspects in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

Not quite, they now have biometric scanning technology at their disposal at every entry/exit point of the Kingdom, be it by land, air or sea since mid 2019.

Once your biometrics details have been entered into that database, you're stored there for virtually... forever.

password 123456

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Current technology still has its limits such as changing the fingerprint with the application of a false fingerprint pasted on the index finger.

Changing fingerprinting which is not accessible to 99.99% of the common mortals. Let's be real here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NanaSomchai said:

Changing fingerprinting which is not accessible to 99.99% of the common mortals. Let's be real here.

Yes, because for the most part they are petty and stupid criminals but the real high-level criminals have the money to buy everything including the controllers, but this will never arrive in Thailand we all know, none is corruptible.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I had heard finger print scanning was fairly random, and another reason could be lack of maintenance and devices out of order, for which the country is famous. 

I hope you are correct... as keeping out foreign undesirables is fine by me.... at the moment we still seem to have them a plenty. 

Before they closed the borders I had 3-4 entries /exits a year. Fingerprint scanning was used when I crossed at Suvarnabhumi airport, 

at Mukdahan and also at Chong chom. At Nong Khai it was out of service. So yes you are right. The system is occasionally down.

1 minute ago, Bigz said:

Before they closed the borders I had 3-4 entries /exits a year. Fingerprint scanning was used when I crossed at Suvarnabhumi airport, 

at Mukdahan and also at Chong chom. At Nong Khai it was out of service. So yes you are right. The system is occasionally down.

I assume some big fish must pass without the annoying control.

7 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

What does having a weak password has to do with biometric scanning systems?

The fact that the systems they design, implement and use, generally fall far short of the ability they conceived they would have due to inept design and administration. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Some new head honcho wants to grab the headlines and make his mark.

Great until he steps on someones income stream and then gets moved to an empty desk.

Xenophobic ideas are always a winner and usually involve some major purchase to implement, and that will gather dust or never work properly either.

Same same, nothing to see here, move along, all change next month !

Your post screams of deja vu.

10 minutes ago, Bigz said:

That is my experience as well. Entered exited 3 times via Suvarnabhumi before the COVID-19 blew up, fingerprint scanning was mandatory every single time and working just fine.

For a typical petty criminal to defeat the system he would:

1) Get a new citizenship from a different country he's known for in Thailand.

2) Get a firstname/surname change in his new passport.

3) Be extremely lucky and bet on the sheer chance that the system is down on the day he's entering/leaving the Kingdom every single time.

Seems highly unpractical to me.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

The fact that the systems they design, implement and use, generally fall far short of the ability they conceived they would have due to inept design and administration. 

Excepted in this case, the system used in Thailand has been designed, implemented, installed and maintained by a German vendor. There's nothing Thai to it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Sadly, whilst I do think increased vetting is a sensible idea, I suspect this initiative will result in a standard Thai "sledge hammer and nut" solution.

It's far easier to assume we are all criminals on the run than it is to actually filter out the bad guys.

You always  looked  dodgy to me????

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

But why would criminal elements want to use Thailand as a base?  I mean its not like the police, customs, army, even Govt ministers, are world renown (a hub you might say) to likely take a bribe to turn a blind eye or be corrupt enough to work in partnership with any criminal activities going on here??  And its not like Thailand has a long history of being a major producer of illicit drugs such as Thai Sticks, heroin, opium etc., although nowadays more of a conduit for methamphetamine from Myanmar to the rest of the world??  Its a mystery to me.  Maybe its the climate, beaches and dual pricing that attracts all these criminals here.

You forgot the main reason ......... money laundering.

There were Chinese coming in with suitcases full of money

• Like 1