Luma Health - Read before you sign & pay

burner2014

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

AA will probably provide you details of Thai April, they did with me, you need to ask for the April France. Ask AA the question they should know rather than us guessing

I'll also add, get it in black and white from April, ask where in the T&Cs it is? I don't think getting it from a broker is good enough as if it ever goes to court, and trust me it does, i doubt it will stand up

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LoeiI said:

I'm just looking at a quote from April international through AA, just a couple of questions, are April an International company (as the name suggests) or a Thai company and if you develop a condition during the term of the policy would this become a pre existing condition for the remainder of the policy term or upon renewal or both or neither ? I'm quite confused 

Thanks for any replies

Confirm with AA.  But as I (or rather Professor Google) understand it:

• April International is a an international insurance services group created in 1988 - the leader of french wholesale brokers with € 1,017.3 million in sales in 2019

I also understand that "pre-existing" means 'existing at the time you 1st enter into an insurance agreement with April Int'.  IT DOES NOT include any conditions that develop subsequently.  Apart from being illegal, just imagine how folks in the EU (and especially the French) would react if a company tried to pull that stunt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2021 at 9:30 PM, Sheryl said:

Not in most Western countries. They cannot newly exclude a condition not present when you first got the policy. (They can however decline to let you upgrade the terms of the policy, or allow it with the exception of that condition).

It pretty much negates the whole purpose of insurance if you cannot rely on continued coverage after developing a chronic condition.

This sort of thing is exactly wht I advise against getting a policy from a Thai country.

I'm surprised and disappointed if Luma really do this, as they are a French owned company. To be honest, I'm not convinced it's the case, but I will certainly ask for clarification before I renew.

9 hours ago, LoeiI said:

are April an International company (as the name suggests) or a Thai company

April run plans as both an International insurer and as a local Thai plan. If you have the AA latest comparison it is now on 2 sheets - one with International plans and one with Thai/Asian specific plans.

So April My Health International and April My Health Thailand ............Different premiums and levels of cover.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm surprised and disappointed if Luma really do this, as they are a French owned company

Depends what plan you have with them - they, like April, have an International and local plans.

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

AA will probably provide you details of Thai April, they did with me, you need to ask for the April France. Ask AA the question they should know rather than us guessing

Spot on thanks i just received the April international details after asking the question 

17 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm surprised and disappointed if Luma really do this, as they are a French owned company. To be honest, I'm not convinced it's the case, but I will certainly ask for clarification before I renew.

It is not French owned. It is a Thai company, registered in Thailand and coming under Thai insurance law. And their policies are actually underwritten/issued by Navakij, a Thai insurer. Luma just provides management services.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It is not French owned. It is a Thai company, registered in Thailand and coming under Thai insurance law. And their policies are actually underwritten/issued by Navakij, a Thai insurer. Luma just provides management services.

Interesting. When I signed up with them 3 years ago at their Bangkok office, they made great play of being "French" with their global headquarters being in Paris. The sales rep I met with was Laotian and claimed to have been recruited in Paris. 

Either way, I've been very impressed with them...up to now. I'm paid up for another 8 months, but I won't be renewing without a clarification of this issue. 

WRLife look like a good alternative, with their premium rates fixed until you make a claim.

• Like 1

[quote]

WRLife look like a good alternative, with their premium rates fixed until you make a claim.

[/quote]

Well, that doesn't sound like a good alternative at all!  You make a claim and then they can price you out! Illegal with EU insurance companies.

I'm insured with April International (not the Thai arm).  Very happy with their customer service, premium rate for my age, payment reminders, country coverage etc.  Can't comment on making a claim 'cos I haven't!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

[quote]

[/quote]

Well, that doesn't sound like a good alternative at all!  You make a claim and then they can price you out! Illegal with EU insurance companies.

I'm insured with April International (not the Thai arm).  Very happy with their customer service, premium rate for my age, payment reminders, country coverage etc.  Can't comment on making a claim 'cos I haven't!

I too have April, I have had claims, paid in full direct to the hospitals with no problem.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Didn't look good when i checked them a couple weeks ago, quite high premiums for the cover you receive. Looks a bit gimicky to me

The question has been asked about them a couple of times on here in the past - 2/3 years or so from memory. I remember trying to look them up and felt similarly to you.  

It would be interesting to hear if anybody here has any experience with them.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I too have April, I have had claims, paid in full direct to the hospitals with no problem.

There is a good chance I will switch to them next month as I have been told the David Shield premium will increase by 30% - and that is in the middle of a banding......as another poster mentioned earlier in the thread. 

The premiums in later years also become less competitive. The fact that it is known now has probably done me a favor in making me change now when it is still relatively easy.

So good to know you are positive so far about April International :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, topt said:

The question has been asked about them a couple of times on here in the past - 2/3 years or so from memory. I remember trying to look them up and felt similarly to you.  

It would be interesting to hear if anybody here has any experience with them.

There is a good chance I will switch to them next month as I have been told the David Shield premium will increase by 30% - and that is in the middle of a banding......as another poster mentioned earlier in the thread. 

The premiums in later years also become less competitive. The fact that it is known now has probably done me a favor in making me change now when it is still relatively easy.

So good to know you are positive so far about April International :thumbsup:

Does anyone have experience with April International regarding the usual "Old Fella" pre existing conditions controlled BP / Type 2 diabetes etc. and what the loading might be if it is actually accepted ? 

• 4 weeks later...

Luma or April are just specialized insurance brokers in health. The ones actually giving you headaches may be the health insurance underwriters themselves. 

if you would like to explore health insurance directly with insurers, popular ones are Aetna or Cigna or Pacific Cross 

as the thread starter said. Always read before you sign