Brit and Thai partner help dangling painter to safety on 26th floor after "someone cut waist rope"

webfact

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Netizens were busy sharing footage from what Daily News called a very scary incident at a condominium in Pak Kret, Nonthaburi on the outskirts of Bangkok on Tuesday.

Two painters were dangling by ropes doing work high up when one of them banged on the window of an apartment where a British man and his Thai partner were staying.

The desperate painted said to  Praiphaiwan, 49, that someone in the condo building had cut his restraining rope. 

It was lying in a heap 26 floors below.

It happened around midday at Lumpini at the five way intersection.

The man scrambled inside and was then able to go down and contact his foreman below to report the incident. 

It is a 32 story block.

Praphaiwan said that the man was shaking though he had no fear of heights. 

People online praised the couple for their assistance. 

329850-768x432.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News suggested it was a deliberate cutting of the rope and they showed a picture of the rescuers apparently being interviewed but made no mention of police involvement. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-10-16

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, smedly said:

jesus christ almighty

charge your phone while taking a shower

that is a UK socket and the bright spark looks Indian

That’s ok,  I remember someone telling me that years ago in the UK that some people had an adaptor plugged into the light socket to allow the to use of an electric iron etc.

Also saw a documentary about when electricity was first introduced in the UK in homes the power cables were not insulated.

Now that would be fun.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

That’s ok

ok ?

a 240v mains socket in the shower 

and years ago (pre 1950) houses were wired differently - lighting circuits were heavy guage and in some cases the only electric source in a room - wall sockets were round pin if they were there at all and wiring ran on the outside of walls, I remember my grandmothers house - and street lights were gas lol

Irons were not electric

11 minutes ago, johng said:

In the video it says the rope was cut bellow the painter man...so someone saw some ropes dangling outside their window/balcony and cut them  possibly unaware that painter man  was painting above.

Luckily painter man looked down and saw the rope had been cut before descending further and reaching the end of his tether still 26 storys above ground.

Still seems a very odd thing to do but cheers. 

1 hour ago, smedly said:

ok ?

and years ago (pre 1950) houses were wired differently - lighting circuits were heavy guage and in some cases the only electric source in a room - wall sockets were round pin if they were there at all and wiring ran on the outside of walls, I remember my grandmothers house - and street lights were gas lol

Irons were not electric

I was being facetious with my first comment.

Always ready to learn I have pursued the history of electric irons and found that the first one was produced in the 1880’s.

Also came across an article dealing with the use of electric irons in the 1930’s 40’s showing the adaptor to which I referred and the author stating that it was plugged into the light socket, but often blew the fuse.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

ok ?

Irons were not electric

I am not sure why I know this, but the iron used to be plugged into the light socket to do the ironing. So what you are saying makes sense.

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

That’s ok,  I remember someone telling me that years ago in the UK that some people had an adaptor plugged into the light socket to allow the to use of an electric iron etc.

Also saw a documentary about when electricity was first introduced in the UK in homes the power cables were not insulated.

Now that would be fun.

Yes I lived in those times (1950's/60's/70's) It was mainly people on the poverty line who rented 2 up 2 down (Cham 4) houses. we had 1 round pin electric socket in the Kitchen and one electric light in the kitchen and that was the sum total of our electric supply. No lighting upstairs, no lighting in the hallway or front room. There were no warnings to people or education about the dangers of electricity or overloading sockets. Special 'Y' adaptors were available to run power appliances from the light socket whilst keeping the bulb on and you would often see 2 or 3 of these plugged in to give 3 power outlets and one lightbulb from a single ceiling pendant. The power socket in the wall (Fitted at Chest height) was similarly overloaded with multiple plug in adaptors (That can't happen these days because of the modern design), there was no such thing as a multiple socket extension lead with its own fuse because cartridge fuses didn't exist at that time fuses were bits of wire between 2 poles.

Edited by RobU
spelling mistakes
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Now that would be fun.

Perfectly true. You're obviously not old enough to remember, but I can. I used to climb up onto the table to reach the light socket, because mother couldn't.

3 hours ago, mvdf said:

Give him and her Thai and British citizenship respectively. And a Guinness. 

What did the Brit and his wife actually do? Open the window to let him in.

And why was someone videoing up so close to two painters on the 26th floor.

Edited by KannikaP