SURVEY: Nov. opening, will it be a success, a good start or a failure?

Scott

SURVEY: Nov. opening, will it be a success, a good start or a failure?  

289 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I have a feeling that the 'openly obvious' dare I use the expresion sex oriented bars could be a thing of the past. Very likely the bars with the girls sitting outside may not be seen again. Will they survive with only the 'waitresses' inside and out of sight? I also reckon the pole dancing bars have gone for good. The underlying industry will still be there but in a different form. Can I say more behind closed doors?

Where would that leave places like Nana and Soi Cowboy?

up shzit creek

14 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Oh, all those places can just convert themselves into family-friendly restaurants like Chuck-E-Cheese or something. Didn't you hear? Thailand is going to attract families now instead of the kind of people who have traditionally enjoyed Thai night life. 

That appears, at the moment, to be the intention.

IT doesn't matter what I think and failure is a term that has many definitions.   It depends how stretched they want the health care system which may or may not be affected.

NOt to mention if people feel they want to travel to Thailand given the restrictions which are still difficult.  

To play the devils advocate for a second, they do have to start somewhere so this is a start.  But to say that millions will come I highly doubt.  Bali is open right now but nobody is going either.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Credo said:

The Covid test upon arrival is ridiculous.  The opening only applies to airline travel and anyone flying in is going to have been most likely had a test for the flight.   Those tests to give false results, so I test  negative, fly in, test positive and end up in isolation (or worse).  Then I suspect big problems getting a flight back.   

I know right?  There is a lot going on here.  Is it worth the risk?  It seems to me that many people will think it's not.  For me, it's not.  

Just now, talahtnut said:

Another lockdown, another two jabs, more stupid tests,

who is going to risk getting stuck in funless Thailand.

85% gold plated FAIL.

It's just too early to travel.  

By this time next year I think that we will be far more open than this year and it will be far easier to do so, dependent on the country and vaccination status of both countries.  

• Like 1

In terms of Tourism it will probably be a non event due to the reduction in disposable incomes of the prior prospective customers, less restrictive destinations with same objectives and residual resistance to the "threat" of succumbing  to the possible inferred threat of the "virus" and all the restrictions it has enabled under the continuing definitions as a global pandemic.

6 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

It just takes Australia to open the gates, which should be shortly, and Thailand to include Australia, which I think they will, and not too outrageous airfares or accommodation prices and I'll be there. Lot of people have maximum annual leave, been stuck at home a long time, and therefore you'll get a fair few from Australia. 

With all the alcohol restrictions ? Doubtfull.

• Haha 2

For some unknown reason, I am actually going on a cruise next month.  The restrictions for vaccination and testing are similar to Thailand’s rules, and if you test positive at boarding you are turned away.  I think that is going to be part of the math for a while and it won’t be a deal killer for some people that are committed to going.

The problem is you really impact the pool of people with the layered restrictions.  Alcohol restrictions might be the only deal-killer for me personally, but other things will impact different people.  Net effect is that you might have an addressable market 2-5% of the size of 2019’s peak season.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the upcoming sideshow and carney - 

Kick back with a little Ya Dong and experience the amusement at a few's expense. 

Neither pro or con about the whole thing.

I'll be in the front row when the curtains open.

Best of luck to everyone.

26 minutes ago, AwwYesNice1 said:

Better than locked in a room for 14 days, then 7 days and now 1 day ????

That seems like progress albeit in the disorganized Thai way of

not being ready for what's being offered. 

Yeah, they might figure it out eventually - 

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

With the relaxation for travelers to return to the US who are vaccinated and test negative before flying, and then the posted 1 day quarantine upon return here in Thailand after also testing negative before flying and then testing upon arrival, along with registering for entry via a new app we shall see what occurs.  I have scheduled my Visit to the US for after the first of the year and then return here a month after arrival, fully refundable of course, pending that in the next 90 days the world does not collapse and the restrictions that have been lifted slammed back in place.

Wishing you the best of luck, I'm in the same situation but I will continue to wait until it is 100% clear I can book a flight to the U.S and back right now even with the change of name it is unclear but clear enough you still must obtain a C.O.E.

• Thanks 1

It really doesn't matter whether or not it is, or what you judge to be a success.

It will be hailed as a success.

Assorted suits will congratulate themselves, in front of vinyl banners, from behind podiums liberally covered with yellow bouquets.

And nobody, Thai or foreigners, will believe them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I voted "good start", but read it as "misunderstanding".

And I'll go to Bangkok early next month, for long overdue visits to Bumrungrad and my embassy. In a nutshell, I won't wait for any further reopening as thing might well get worse again.

Edited by Boomer6969