SURVEY: Nov. opening, will it be a success, a good start or a failure?

Scott

SURVEY: Nov. opening, will it be a success, a good start or a failure?  

289 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the relaxation for travelers to return to the US who are vaccinated and test negative before flying, and then the posted 1 day quarantine upon return here in Thailand after also testing negative before flying and then testing upon arrival, along with registering for entry via a new app we shall see what occurs.  I have scheduled my Visit to the US for after the first of the year and then return here a month after arrival, fully refundable of course, pending that in the next 90 days the world does not collapse and the restrictions that have been lifted slammed back in place.

Depends what one considers successful.  Better than the abysmal failure of the sandboxes, one would hope.

Generate 1 million arrivals a month for the rest of high season 2021/22, very doubtful.  Enough to motivate investors to re-open or take over closed business, very doubtful.

All that without a future oops or yet another step backward / change in policy ... doubtful.

I personally can't see them getting 1 m a month till high season 2022/23.

• Like 1

It just takes Australia to open the gates, which should be shortly, and Thailand to include Australia, which I think they will, and not too outrageous airfares or accommodation prices and I'll be there. Lot of people have maximum annual leave, been stuck at home a long time, and therefore you'll get a fair few from Australia. 

• Like 1

It's an odd situation.

Virtually everything closed and restaurants not able to sell you a bottle of wine with your meal and don't forget the curfew.

I have a problem to see what will be first. Open everything when there are no tourists or let all the tourists come first when everything is either closed or restricted. Who will open first most likely with the cost for the first two or three months at their expense?

I'm glad it's not me making the decisions on how to go about it.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Had a great dinner tonight at the Wine Connection in Silom, only thing missing was a bottle of wine yet I was surrounded by hundreds of bottles that could not be un....wait for it...corked.

SIS and her husband had a nice dinner a couple of nights ago and they rejected the first table they were shown to. He said it was bad enough not having a bottle of wine without having to sit 2 metres from and staring at the locked wine cabinet.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, overherebc said:

It's an odd situation.

Virtually everything closed and restaurants not able to sell you a bottle of wine with your meal and don't forget the curfew.

I have a problem to see what will be first. Open everything when there are no tourists or let all the tourists come first when everything is either closed or restricted. Who will open first most likely with the cost for the first two or three months at their expense?

I'm glad it's not me making the decisions on how to go about it.

Correct.

Nick Dean was saying it would take a couple of years to make up lost earnings and rents that have had to be paid for his Pattaya bars.

He also said to come in December or January because by February things might be closed again!!!!!

I feel sorry for these people and yet many of them still seem to shrug their shoulders and get on with it.

All credit to them.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Correct.

Nick Dean was saying it would take a couple of years to make up lost earnings and rents that have had to be paid for his Pattaya bars.

He also said to come in December or January because by February things might be closed again!!!!!

I feel sorry for these people and yet many of them still seem to shrug their shoulders and get on with it.

All credit to them.

I have a feeling that the 'openly obvious' dare I use the expresion sex oriented bars could be a thing of the past. Very likely the bars with the girls sitting outside may not be seen again. Will they survive with only the 'waitresses' inside and out of sight? I also reckon the pole dancing bars have gone for good. The underlying industry will still be there but in a different form. Can I say more behind closed doors?

Where would that leave places like Nana and Soi Cowboy?

Edited by overherebc