Buying a cost effective SUV for 2022

5 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Have you seen that "HAVAL" thing?

Fully Chinese.

Resale value must be horrible.

Who can service a car like that.

No thanks.

Resale value is a red herring argument,  You pay more up front in the hope that in 10 years when you sell the thing ,you will get more back. 

Makes good sense to me. 

Why don't I just keep the money now? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Why people buy SUV's? Do they need to drive off-road? It's more heavy than a simple saloon car, eats more, costs more, sometimes even not so much space for luggage.  

I see no -OR- for of road in the SUV acronym. The operative letter in the SUV acronym is the -U- which stans for Utility, and that's why people buy them. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 9:56 AM, pagallim said:

I'm on my second Fortuner, and have been happy with both of them these past 14 years.   However, if and when it comes time to change, I will look seriously at the Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid.   Our vet has one, and I'm very impressed with its quality, and it isn't much smaller than my Fortuner.   The very top model comes in at just under 1.2 million baht.

425945294.jpeg

I am considering the Cross right now, Like the look. I am also considering the Honda HRV but looks like they are waiting to launch a new one towards end of year, so will wait and see.

On 10/20/2021 at 10:42 AM, Stevemercer said:

We have a Hyundai Tucson (now 5 years old with 300,000 km) diesel. It still looks and drives like new.

I had a Hyundai Santa Fe a few years back, in Europe and was well impressed with it. Is the Tucson similar and is there a Hyundai garage in Pattaya?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Saanim said:

Why people buy SUV's? Do they need to drive off-road? It's more heavy than a simple saloon car, eats more, costs more, sometimes even not so much space for luggage.  

Sometimes you need to bump up a curb.

4 hours ago, Saanim said:

Because nobody wants to buy anything called a 'family station wagon', which TBH, is all most SUVs are.

Neither Sporty or much of a Utility Vehicle.  Most a bit larger and more comfy than average family sedan, salon, hatchback.  

Seriously, how many have anyone seen with mud behind all 4 wheels, on the side doors or panels, as if actually off road.  Usually squeaky clean, and same with most 4X4s.

4 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Have you seen that "HAVAL" thing?

Fully Chinese.

Resale value must be horrible.

Who can service a car like that.

No thanks.

It's assembled in Thailand, and is now outselling the cr-v and cx-5. 

14 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

Why not a GLC from Mercedes? Very happy with ours (reliable, comfortable, very good specs)

GLC

From OP - "So I would like to purchase a new SUV price up to 1.3 million"

GLC - From ฿3.349 million

5 hours ago, Saanim said:

Hmm, for Utility... In Europe it's sometimes very strong resistance, protests against SUV's, requests for limiting them in the cities.  

Many European cities are very old and the infrastructure predates automobiles , so consequently the roads are too narrow to accommodate SUVs . Such is not   the case everywhere. . In places where they are, and if SUVs present a problem to others, limiting their use might be a good idea,  But in areas where they are not  SUV's have their advantages. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

Many European cities are very old and the infrastructure predates automobiles , so consequently the roads are too narrow to accommodate SUVs

How many mm is such SUV wider than my adult saloon car? Just curious...

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Anti-Car Groups Call for an SUV Ban, Protest at Frankfurt Auto Show

Enough! No one needs to drive luxury cars! say German protesters standing on top of SUVs at the Frankfurt auto show.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28871580/german-protest-groups-anti-car/

Send those eco warriors to a work camp.

They protest at every occasion and are too lazy to work.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Saanim said:

I think SUV's work well here. Family outings contain all the family, holidays involve going up some very steep hills in the country, the rainy season means you are going to be driving through flood water and need the extra height. 

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

I think SUV's work well here. Family outings contain all the family, holidays involve going up some very steep hills in the country, the rainy season means you are going to be driving through flood water and need the extra height. 

I would be curious to know where in Thailand you find a road without a firm surface (concrete, asphalt) and where on holiday you will drive through a flood. Whenever in area is a flood the area is always closed by authorities for any car.  

3 hours ago, Saanim said:

I would be curious to know where in Thailand you find a road without a firm surface (concrete, asphalt) and where on holiday you will drive through a flood. Whenever in area is a flood the area is always closed by authorities for any car.  

For flooding many places. I live in Nakhon Pathom and when the rain comes it floods all three lanes of Phet Kasem frontage Road. It floods badly at the whale hotel and around the famous Cheddi. My normal car can not drive through these areas during heavy rain. I can't recall the other areas around the country but I've been 'clenched' in my car in multiple areas. I've not seen the roads closed off apart from the main road to Korat. Regarding no asphalt, if you go in the national parks like Kaeng Krachan the further you go, the more difficult they become as you start crossing the streams In the north, driving to your home stay style accommodations can be very tricky too. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alien365 said:

How is it for power and up hills? If I had to buy a new car right now I'd probably buy one of these. 

It's fine up hills. It's a 1.5L engine. Not winning any drag races, but perfectly adequate for a retiree to drive to other provinces occasionally. I have driven it from CM to Chiang Rai several times. The transmission has that stick you bump to the right for "sport mode," which I use in the hills. No problem passing the local rust buckets of Burmese laborers. 

• Like 1

OK, so I've got my shortlist of SUVs to replace my 17 year old Toyota Tiger pickup:

1. Mitsubishi Pajero
  2. Honda CRV
  3. MG ZS
  4. Isuzu MU-X
  5. Toyota Fortuna
  6. Mazda CX-8
  7. Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid
  8. Chevrolet Trailblazer Z71
  9. Hyundai Tucson
  10. Haval H6
  11. Suzuki XL7

Up to 1 1/2 million is OK.

Decisions, decisions.  ???? 

55 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

OK, so I've got my shortlist of SUVs to replace my 17 year old Toyota Tiger pickup:

1. Mitsubishi Pajero
  2. Honda CRV
  3. MG ZS
  4. Isuzu MU-X
  5. Toyota Fortuna
  6. Mazda CX-8
  9. Hyundai Tucson
  10. Haval H6
  11. Suzuki XL7

MU-X all day

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

1. Mitsubishi Pajero
  2. Honda CRV
  3. MG ZS
  4. Isuzu MU-X
  5. Toyota Fortuna
  6. Mazda CX-8
  9. Hyundai Tucson
  10. Haval H6
  11. Suzuki XL7

For 1 1/2 mill you can get his and hers ZS’s !!

• Haha 2