Buying a cost effective SUV for 2022

Hello friends,

I want to tap into the expertise of fellow ex-pats or locals who have a real understanding of automobiles. So I would like to purchase a new SUV price up to 1.3 million (I would prefer to spend less if I could, lol)  I shall be retiring soon (2022)  to live in my home in Maha Sarakham. For the last three years, I have had a Ford Everest 4 wheel drive turbo; it is a company vehicle, but to be honest, I have never really used the four-wheel drive. However, I do enjoy the car's height, hence my desire to go for another SUV that gives a good line of sight from being higher up. I am not driven by brand names etc., just practicality and to have a safe vehicle that is comfortable big enough to drive a family ( 5) and enjoy inter-city / country driving. 

An excellent reliable SUV.  Any recommendations or advice will be gratefully received - I seek this help because talking to trade people are s always biased toward their manufacturer or held stock. Thanks in advance for helping me with this decision.

• Like 1

We have an Isuzu Mu-X which I enjoy.

OK it is the 3.0L 4x4 but the smaller engined 2 wheel drive is the same height.

Certainly worth a look/test drive.

The Toyota Fortuner is also available as 2 wheel drive IIRC.

Let's try this in the Motoring forum for more directed coverage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Before actually looking, sitting in SUV at dealer, compare specs.  I'm a spec buyer myself, and marketing doesn't influence my purchases at all.  Not looking to impress anyone, just get best bang for my baht, what I actually want and will use.

I used this site:  https://www.zigwheels.co.th/en/compare-cars

Some times their specs are off a bit, or missing, but gives a ball park idea when comparing.

SUV, we went the the smallest and cheapest, I think.  MG ZS.  With your experience, probably won't be for you, but if getting sticker shock at the rest, then they start at 650k / 700k / 800k and 1.2 for the EV.  

Thanks very helpful

The new Pajero is good value for money, SUV.

comparing everest, fortuner and pajero; pajero gives you all the bells and balloons in the elite edition model. Technologically better than others in that range. 4 variable driving modes.

its a good time to buy, given there are so many of them in the market desperately trying to sell (resale).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I am not an off road guy just like a comfy ride and sitting a bit higher.

I like a honda crv because it drives more like a car and you do not have to climb into it. 

The main problem with the otherwise good CRV is the poor engine choice. 2 Very ancient technology petrol engines long since (years ago) superseded in Western markets and a tiny 1.6 diesel,also long since discontinued elsewhere. Honda seems to ride on its reputation to dump those poor engine variants on undiscriminating Thai market. The excellent hybrid variant which I drove 4 years ago in UK still not available here! I looked at the Mazda 8 recently and have to say it looks a superior package to the CRV ,especially when those poor Honda engines are not reflected in their price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IF you can still find a new one, and there may just be some about, Chevrolet did the Trailblazer and HEAVILY discounted it when they shut their  factory, still  has  3  year warranty and the prices were  reduced by 300k + for some models, the ad  below is  older the prices for this  model are  now 895k Thats the best bang  for your  buck 

50539856_10156728599854765_4852300832357482496_n.png

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Thanks 1

We have a Hyundai Tucson (now 5 years old with 300,000 km) diesel. It still looks and drives like new.

They are not common in Thailand, but are very popular is some western markets like Australia. 

They are made in South Korea which means parts are more expensive than locally assembled brands. However, they are still priced way below western countries for the Thai market (about 50% for genuine parts).

If I was in the market now I would look seriously at the current MG line-up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Only thing I didnt like was no spare wheel, just a repair kit. I purchased a emergency spare wheel kit to fit in tire well. Good luck.

Yea, what up with that????  Communication / translation issue when we bought, and wanted a spare, somehow that turned into a full size, mag'd tire ????

When picking up car, and different sales rep, looked at me crazy, why not buy spare ? huh.  Quick google and yep, offer for 1000 baht less, than full tire, so in the long run, full size will work out about 1000+ cheaper, as when replacing tires, only need 3 tires, and will keep a 'used' as the spare.  Surprised the spare was that expensive in comparison, 6 ish vs 7ish k baht.  And, we got the mag wheel.

Only difference, rear trunk shelf on 2nd tier now, which, due to my 'not the best' back for bending, would be there anyway, and still allows space for the small floor jack resting under with the tire.  We still don't use full cargo area, so no loss of 'needed' space.

• Thanks 1

I really like the Toyota Fortuner.  I've usually had very good experiences with Toyota products.  I've also had a Honda CRV which was very good.  Not so sure about the newer CRV's as they seem to be using smaller engines. 

Hopefully someday car manufacturers will start exporting the hybrid cars to Thailand.  I've driven some of them and really like them.  Very easy on the fuel too.  When you can get 17km/L in an SUV the size of a Fortuner you will be very happy!  Corolla hybrids are even higher at 22km/L.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Yea, what up with that????  Communication / translation issue when we bought, and wanted a spare, somehow that turned into a full size, mag'd tire ????

When picking up car, and different sales rep, looked at me crazy, why not buy spare ? huh.  Quick google and yep, offer for 1000 baht less, than full tire, so in the long run, full size will work out about 1000+ cheaper, as when replacing tires, only need 3 tires, and will keep a 'used' as the spare.  Surprised the spare was that expensive in comparison, 6 ish vs 7ish k baht.  And, we got the mag wheel.

Only difference, rear trunk shelf on 2nd tier now, which, due to my 'not the best' back for bending, would be there anyway, and still allows space for the small floor jack resting under with the tire.  We still don't use full cargo area, so no loss of 'needed' space.

Did the same, original mag with second hand good tire. Bought electric scissor jack with wrenches ad a kit. Yeah you lose second tier of boot well. Worth the loss of space.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pagallim said:

I'm on my second Fortuner, and have been happy with both of them these past 14 years.   However, if and when it comes time to change, I will look seriously at the Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid.   Our vet has one, and I'm very impressed with its quality, and it isn't much smaller than my Fortuner.   The very top model comes in at just under 1.2 million baht.

425945294.jpeg

It’s very much smaller than a Fortuner - it’s a Corolla based SUV. More akin to Honda HRV.That said, compared to Honda it has a much more modern hybrid engine than Honda’s ancient 1.8 petrol and if you don’t need the huge truck based (ladder chassis) Fortuner a potential downsize candidate from a reliable brand,but a very different vehicle.

All of the above are good suggestions. 

We were recently in the market for a new car and we looked at everything available in the SUV , Market. 

One of the cars we test drove was the Haval H6, Hybrid prices at 1.1 million bht.

All I have to say , is WOW, crazy fast, and with all the bells and whistles

.I was very impressed by the actual vehicle.

I know it does not have a history in Thailand and as such one might be apprehensive but it got good reviews in other countries where it has been available for years, 

Take a look at it on YouTube, and go take a test drive, What you got to lose? 

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

'Safer' ? Not really 4FWD will give you better traction in muddy conditions but it will do nothing to improve your braking or road holding in the rain - that’s illusory. The downside is greater weight and poorer fuel consumption- so unless going off road a complete waste.

Sorry my experiences are different, especially with rear-wheel drive only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, sirineou said:

We were recently in the market for a new car and we looked at everything available in the SUV , Market. 

One of the cars we test drove was the Haval H6, Hybrid prices at 1.1 million bht.

I know it does not have a history in Thailand and as such one might be apprehensive but it got good reviews in other countries where it has been available for years, 

That's a lot of hp for 1.5L (243). And a Hybid. Priced right also  ????

One to consider, if & when I'm done with the ZS.

Competition is a beautiful thing.  Should bring some of the other silly priced offerings down.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Mr Optimistic,

1.3M baht is the bottom of the range for established brands for both car based SUVs like CR-V and CX-5 and pick-up based SUVs like Everest, Pajero Sport, Fortuner.  There are cheaper versions of the Isuzu MU-X from 1.1M.  Base models can be pretty bare so best to look at the specific models in person.  In the past, the pick-up based models have depreciated more slowly and been easier to maintain in the long term / high mileages.  

The cheaper options for smaller SUVs like the Corolla Cross, Honda HR-V, or MPV style cars like Honda BRV and Mitsu Expander etc. can be a bit small for 5 large passengers. 

The less established models like MG ZH and Haval H6, as noted above, may work if you have no particular brand preference. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

It's also assempled in Thailand, so shouldn't be a big problem getting spares - it was actually the highest sellind suv in it's class last month outselling the crv, cx-5, etc. I like the look of the ora goodcat, but it's imported from China - getting some spares may take months. 

• Like 1