4 days no sugar

Pravda

On 10/19/2021 at 2:14 PM, Pravda said:

No cheese, no more meat for dinner and I feel great. I really have a sugar addiction and it's hard to quit once inside a shopping mall with all those cakes. I'm scared I will relapse due to lack of self control. 

This is the whole problem with "modern" diets/fads

You do not need to "Give Up" anything. Also it is most unlikely to be sustainable for life

This is why countries like America sell more exercise equipment/diet books/vitamins etc etc yet have a big population full of fat people

They quit this or quit that see results....of course but more likely because you cut portions/calories etc

Then it is not sustainable & they pig out lose hope yada yada yada

Truth is portion control/ healthy foods & EXERCISE is what keeps folks fit & healthy

People like to think they can quit this or that & suddenly their healthy...sorry they usually are far from it

As you get fitter you will automatically tend to focus more on better fuels & on it goes

PS: before anyone asks I am not saying meats & cheeses & sugars in high amount are good for you

But there are cheeses like say Mozzarella if eaten in modest amount are fine

Same with lean cuts of meat/pork/chicken/fish etc etc

But all this NO Carbs or NO Sugar or NO meats....yeah good luck with the yo-yo effect that follows ???? 

Not to mention if your doing any endurance exercise what you will be missing fuel wise.

Edited by meechai
  • Like 2

On 10/20/2021 at 1:14 PM, Pravda said:

I really have a sugar addiction and it's hard to quit once inside a shopping mall with all those cakes. I'm scared I will relapse due to lack of self control. 

I'm with you on that. I just have to look the other way when passing the cake shelves. If I had so much as one I'd be like an alcoholic after one drink. Perhaps if I get really sick enough as to die, I'll have the monster of all monster sugar splurges.

I used to make my own milkshakes with loads of real strawberries, strawberry syrup, and strawberry ice cream. Yummy.

Happy days those.

3 hours ago, meechai said:

You do not need to "Give Up" anything. Also it is most unlikely to be sustainable for life

It can be sustainable, so long as one really wants it. If one isn't committed it's not going to work. I haven't had any sugar for at least 9 months, and no reason to have any, thanks to non sugar sweeteners.

On 10/22/2021 at 6:17 AM, HappyExpat57 said:

"Refined sugar, or sucrose, comes from sugar cane or sugar beets, which are processed to extract the sugar. Food manufacturers then add the chemically produced sugar, typically high-fructose corn syrup, to many packaged foods. The body breaks down refined sugar rapidly, which causes insulin and blood sugar levels to skyrocket."

https://www.healthdesigns.net/natural-vs-refined-sugar-why-the-difference-matters/

I don't get how this is so difficult to understand. This info has been around for decades and it's well known that processed or refined sugar is poison to our health.

It's not difficult to understand, but you don't understand it.  The refining process is not some mystical transformation of natural stuff into evil manufactured stuff.  Refining produces monosaccharides, which are harmful just because they pass directly into the bloodstream unlike more complex sugars such as those in grains that are digested more slowly.  Therefore all of the monosaccharides are harmful whether the processing is done in a factory, by honeybees, or in boiling pots in a maple sugar house.  

If you were to chew a mouthful of rice 30 or 40 times it would become sweet as mastication breaks down the polysaccharides into monosaccharides which are basically the same as refined sugar.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

thanks to non sugar sweeteners.

Curious, what are you substituting for processed white / natural sugar ?  I tried the stevia, and didn't care for it.  I usually go with honey, except for my coffee, which does give me about a tbsp a day, in my large coffee.

Need to try honey in my coffee again, as that's the first thing consumed, and on an empty stomach.  More like a pipeline to my intestines ????  If eating first, maybe it would digest better in the stomach.

Still not giving up my pasties though, as simply bring too much joy to my taste buds.  Have cut way back from days past.

Are you substitutes any of these, which the few sampled, were horrible, and even though FDA approved, I don't trust them:

• Acesulfame K (brand names: Sunett® and Sweet One®)
  • Advantame
  • Aspartame (brand names: Equal® and NutraSweet Natural™)
  • Neotame (brand name: Newtame™)
  • Saccharin (brand names: Sweet ‘N Low® and Sugar Twin®
  • Sucralose (brand name: Splenda™)
Edited by KhunLA

On 10/23/2021 at 2:53 PM, KhunLA said:

Curious, what are you substituting for processed white / natural sugar ?  I tried the stevia, and didn't care for it.  I usually go with honey, except for my coffee, which does give me about a tbsp a day, in my large coffee.

Need to try honey in my coffee again, as that's the first thing consumed, and on an empty stomach.  More like a pipeline to my intestines ????  If eating first, maybe it would digest better in the stomach.

Still not giving up my pasties though, as simply bring too much joy to my taste buds.  Have cut way back from days past.

Are you substitutes any of these, which the few sampled, were horrible, and even though FDA approved, I don't trust them:

• Acesulfame K (brand names: Sunett® and Sweet One®)
  • Advantame
  • Aspartame (brand names: Equal® and NutraSweet Natural™)
  • Neotame (brand name: Newtame™)
  • Saccharin (brand names: Sweet ‘N Low® and Sugar Twin®
  • Sucralose (brand name: Splenda™)

I use Splenda.

Stevia IMO is useless, and doesn't make tea or coffee palatable to me, though it's supposed to be better for cooking.

I hate the taste of aspartame.

The brand claims that their product is equal to sugar is ludicrous- they taste nothing like sugar.

I just accept that I can't have anything actually sweet unless I have sugar or honey, which I don't for sugar, and little and rarely for honey.

Real problem is that many non sugar food is converted to sugar once eaten, like white bread or pasta, so no pizza anymore.

On 10/23/2021 at 1:56 PM, cmarshall said:

If you were to chew a mouthful of rice 30 or 40 times it would become sweet as mastication breaks down the polysaccharides into monosaccharides which are basically the same as refined sugar.

The Japanese used to make a fermented beverage from chewed rice. I saw that in a movie.

20 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I use Splenda.

I always thought Splenda was interesting in how it works

Sweeteners like Splenda mimic the sweetness of sugar, without the calories.

The sweetness of Splenda is due to a compound called sucralose, a type of indigestible artificial sugar.

This is made by replacing certain atoms in sugar with atoms of chlorine.

That chlorine part is also why many cannot eat Splenda as it causes bumps on their tongues ????

But at the end of the day like I said it is not so much what goes in IMHO but the excessive amount modern day non exercising folks take in

Lastly I have never been convinced using artificial sweeteners & thinking it was some kind of victory over sugar was a plus...Nor those who say honey vs sugar is a victory either

But then again I have been a cyclist /triathlete most of my life. I see foods...all of them...as fuels & they all have there place

At the end of the day no need to be extreme just intelligent about what goes in & especially how much goes in compared to how much is needed/being burned etc. at the end of the day It is really quite simple to be healthy especially if you enjoy it

Edited by meechai

1 hour ago, meechai said:

I always thought Splenda was interesting in how it works

That chlorine part is also why many cannot eat Splenda as it causes bumps on their tongues ????

But at the end of the day like I said it is not so much what goes in IMHO but the excessive amount modern day non exercising folks take in

Lastly I have never been convinced using artificial sweeteners & thinking it was some kind of victory over sugar was a plus...Nor those who say honey vs sugar is a victory either

But then again I have been a cyclist /triathlete most of my life. I see foods...all of them...as fuels & they all have there place

At the end of the day no need to be extreme just intelligent about what goes in & especially how much goes in compared to how much is needed/being burned etc. at the end of the day It is really quite simple to be healthy especially if you enjoy it

Splenda doesn't make things sweet, but it makes tea and coffee drinkable for me. That's all I use it for.

I've basically given up on anything that would be sweet like cakes, so no need to use sugar substitute for baking. That's because sugar substitute IMO is useless. It doesn't taste anything like sugar to me.

If they brought out sugarless cakes that tasted sweet I'd eat them.