4 days no sugar

Pravda

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It is. Sugar is a terrible substance for our health and has been put in so many processed foods. Learn how to read the labels and be shocked at how much sugar is in just about everything.

I gave it up last year, lost 10 kg and 2 inches without dieting.

Cheaper too, now I'm not buying cakes and sweets.

When you say you gave up sugar, what did you give up?

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sugar isn't the enemy it's the junk you eat, the stuff you buy is full of fat, chocolate, cake, pastries, ice cream, crisps, biscuits, nuts. It's important you understand the difference

The real enemy is unconscious gluttony and the quality of foods that one takes. 

Naturally, these things aren't recognized.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

avoiding the junk is the best thing to do, too much of it would make you fat slowly

In my experience most junk food has a lot of sugar, so out, of course. Other than potato crisps and dip, I don't eat much junk any more, unless processed food is junk.

I think I'd go mad if all I ate was "healthy".

Been a while since I stopped eating sugar and weight and waist still reducing, so I put it down to sugar alone. Certainly don't do more exercise than before.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

When you say you gave up sugar, what did you give up?

I'd often eat a bag full of Russian fudge while watching tv, then half a commercial cake with icing, coffee with 3 large teaspoons of sugar x 3 or 4, and a couple rows of white chocolate before cleaning teeth and sleep.

Pancakes with loads ( I mean loads ) of maple syrup, soft drinks ( I'd drink a large bottle of fanta no problem if it was hot ), etc.

I made things like no cook fudge, and always plenty of choc biscuits on hand.

Loved it, and if I could go back in time I would eat more than I did.

51 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think I'd go mad if all I ate was "healthy".

Actually it's easy ... IF ... you know how & have the time to make your own food.  We eat very little processed food, when not out & about.  Even bake our own bread at home.  We do use sugar & salt, even MSG as flavor enhancers, in moderation.

You really have to read labels when shopping, even for 'raw' ingredients.  Cocoa powder vs choco bars / piece for baking, and % of actual cocoa / sugar.  It's surprising what is and isn't what you think you are buying.

Good side benefits of eating 'healthy', find we have very little trash (packaging) to put out, and plenty of compost for the garden.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

did anyone mention a fatty liver yet ?

I'm scared I may have this. I got all the symptoms. I'll go check myself soon.

Due to my height which is 196cm I'm not particularly overweight. I'm at 96kg, but I got fat around my belly and I noticed one side if fatter than the other. That has me worried a bit.

5 minutes ago, Pravda said:

I'm scared I may have this. I got all the symptoms. I'll go check myself soon.

Due to my height which is 196cm I'm not particularly overweight. I'm at 96kg, but I got fat around my belly and I noticed one side if fatter than the other. That has me worried a bit.

I've had fatter one side than the other for years and I'm still here. Had an abdominal ultrasound for something else a while back, but if there was a problem they'd have picked it up.

However, if worried about it always a good idea to see the medic.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've had fatter one side than the other for years and I'm still here. Had an abdominal ultrasound for something else a while back, but if there was a problem they'd have picked it up.

However, if worried about it always a good idea to see the medic.

Thanks. I seriously blame all my issues on covid. Yes, I used to eat junk before too, but at least I'd sweat it out in the gym 3 times a week. Since lockdowns a was just sitting home, overeating.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd often eat a bag full of Russian fudge while watching tv, then half a commercial cake with icing, coffee with 3 large teaspoons of sugar x 3 or 4, and a couple rows of white chocolate before cleaning teeth and sleep.

Pancakes with loads ( I mean loads ) of maple syrup, soft drinks ( I'd drink a large bottle of fanta no problem if it was hot ), etc.

I made things like no cook fudge, and always plenty of choc biscuits on hand.

Loved it, and if I could go back in time I would eat more than I did.

All sound very fatty, of course 3 or 4 sugars in tea or coffee is unnecessary. I'm not frightened of sugar, eat as much as I desire and fit and healthy, ideal weight. I avoid fatty junk most of the time

On 10/20/2021 at 9:11 AM, internationalism said:

next step - vegetable/salad diet for a few days or even fasting. Just short, for try.

Another white death is salt

I've been on a sodium restricted diet for years. At my last checkup with blood panels my Doc.

. said "I hate to say this, but you need to add a little salt to your diet!" Moderation in all things, including moderation, it seems.????

32 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

All sound very fatty, of course 3 or 4 sugars in tea or coffee is unnecessary. I'm not frightened of sugar, eat as much as I desire and fit and healthy, ideal weight. I avoid fatty junk most of the time

Sugars / carbs, if not burned, turn to fat when stored.  

16 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Processed sugar of ANY type is deadly. Brown is just slightly less deadly.

Stop ... sugar, deadly ...  oh please

I take in my fair share of sugar, sweet, pastries, and my blood sugar is still in normal range.  67 and haven't got diabetes yet, though it runs in the family, last generation, though more due to their alcohol intake ????

Chose wisely & moderation.  

2 tsp of sugar in your coffee isn't going to kill you.   If you think so, then

have a cup / 8 oz / 236 ml of fresh squeezed orange juice = 6 tsp of sugar ????????????

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I take in my fair share of sugar, sweet, pastries, and my blood sugar is still in normal range.  67 and haven't got diabetes yet, though it runs in the family, last generation, though more due to their alcohol intake ????

have a cup / 8 oz / 236 ml of fresh squeezed orange juice = 6 tsp of sugar ????????????

To be fair, you are lucky and you do not represent the entire human race.

"Refined sugars may increase your risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease. They’re also linked to a higher likelihood of depression, dementia, liver disease, and certain types of cancer."

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/refined-sugar#refined-vs-natural

19 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

To be fair, you are lucky and you do not represent the entire human race.

"Refined sugars may increase your risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease. They’re also linked to a higher likelihood of depression, dementia, liver disease, and certain types of cancer."

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/refined-sugar#refined-vs-natural

"Excess sugar intake" .... may lead to health issues would be a more appropriate warning.

Surely you don't suggest people to stop eating fruits because they contain huge amounts of sugar in comparison to my morning coffee.

Any excess amount of sugar intake, can be burned off with a wee bit of exercise.  If too lazy for that (me), then intermittent fasting will accomplish the same.

You could increase you water intake, as that will flush out excess sugar also, along with giving you that 'full' sensation, and help eliminate the temptation to eat more, especially when bored.  In Thailand, hydration is a good thing anyway.

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Surely you don't suggest people to stop eating fruits because they contain huge amounts of sugar in comparison to my morning coffee.

This is the second time you compare fruit sugar to processed sugar.

22 minutes ago, Pravda said:

This is the second time you compare fruit sugar to processed sugar.

And ...

It's still sugar, and with all, it depends which, how much, and even how consumed.

To generalize and state 'processed' sugar is deadly, is silly.

People need to understand sugars, all types.

I stated orange 'juice' vs morning coffee. 2 vs 6 tsp.  Both will bypass the stomach rather quickly, ending up in the intestines for digestion, and NOT the best place to be.  Emphasis on 'juice'.  Eat the 6 oranges, it would be much better ????

Whole fruit sugar or veggie, will digest slowly in the stomach before moving onward.  Fiber ensuring that, and the nutrients will be absorbed better.

I thought everyone learned this stuff in high school, well, if a mature individual, 60 ish yrs old.  Not sure what they taught after I left or teach now.  Obviously just pronouns & racism.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

"Excess sugar intake" .... may lead to health issues would be a more appropriate warning.

Any excess amount of sugar intake, can be burned off with a wee bit of exercise.  If too lazy for that (me), then intermittent fasting will accomplish the same.

You could increase you water intake, as that will flush out excess sugar also, along with giving you that 'full' sensation, and help eliminate the temptation to eat more, especially when bored.  In Thailand, hydration is a good thing anyway.

I said processed sugar.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

And ...

It's still sugar, and with all, it depends which, how much, and even how consumed.

To generalize and state 'processed' sugar is deadly, is silly.

People need to understand sugars, all types.

I stated orange 'juice' vs morning coffee. 2 vs 6 tsp.  Both will bypass the stomach rather quickly, ending up in the intestines for digestion, and NOT the best place to be.  Emphasis on 'juice'.  Eat the 6 oranges, it would be much better ????

Whole fruit sugar or veggie, will digest slowly in the stomach before moving onward.  Fiber ensuring that, and the nutrients will be absorbed better.

I thought everyone learned this stuff in high school, well, if a mature individual, 60 ish yrs old.  Not sure what they taught after I left or teach now.  Obviously just pronouns & racism.

What most practice is nothing short of fabricated fashion and trends - conveniently repeated over and again.

This thread is a perfect reflection of such.

• Like 1

I don't add much salt to my food.  There is plenty in foods we eat.  Exceptions are avacado, garden tomatoes.  Wife is learning to not add much salt if any.   And I about lost it a couple times when Thai wife added sugar to things.  Yuk.   

I stopped drinking cows milk years ago after watching a video where a DR pointed out how unnatural this was.  Milk that can take a 25 kg calf to 150 kg in 3 months is not something we want to consume.   I use almond milk and feel guilty about it's growing water requirements. 

Back 15 years ago I was swimming 3 miles a week but had gained a bit of a belly.  I cut beers to 1 daily but still couldn't shake it.  My wife was always joking that I had a bit of coffee in my Irish creamer. One day I looked and a bottle had 45 servings and like 6000 calories.   They say one must swim a brisk 8 mins to burn off 180 calories ( 1 beer or shot of alcohol). I was using up a bottle nearly weekly.  Started drinking coffee black and 3 kg disappeared quickly even with 2-3 beers daily. 

My body seems to crave nuts in fall and winter here in my 4 season climate.  Seems natural to me. 

What is considered processed meats? Hotdogs, bologna?.   Lots of fat so I consider them sin foods but like a hot dog or better brat every so often.  

I have said for years sugar drinks like soda need to be taxed very highly to discourage consumption and help pay for the increase in healthcare costs.   Some people I know are addicted to soda like mountain dew and stop for giant refills many times a day and these big gulp cups are 32-64 oz each.   

11 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I don't add much salt to my food.

Be careful, I was recently diagnosed with iodine deficiency after a blood test and advised to add some salt into my diet. Apparently a quarter of a teaspoon of iodised salt is sufficient. I guess you could take iodine supplements.

13 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Processed sugar of ANY type is deadly. Brown is just slightly less deadly.

Brown sugar, white sugar, honey, and maple syrup are all monosaccharides, i.e. very simple molecules that are absorbed into the bloodstream very quickly unlike polysaccharides like rice.  The affect on health of all the monosaccharides is the same.

2 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Brown sugar, white sugar, honey, and maple syrup are all monosaccharides, i.e. very simple molecules that are absorbed into the bloodstream very quickly unlike polysaccharides like rice.  The affect on health of all the monosaccharides is the same.

"Refined sugar, or sucrose, comes from sugar cane or sugar beets, which are processed to extract the sugar. Food manufacturers then add the chemically produced sugar, typically high-fructose corn syrup, to many packaged foods. The body breaks down refined sugar rapidly, which causes insulin and blood sugar levels to skyrocket."

https://www.healthdesigns.net/natural-vs-refined-sugar-why-the-difference-matters/

I don't get how this is so difficult to understand. This info has been around for decades and it's well known that processed or refined sugar is poison to our health.

17 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I was much older than yourself before I became pre diabetic. you have time yet.

2 teaspoons isn't going to kill you, but enough teaspoons may make you lose a leg.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

"Refined sugar, or sucrose, comes from sugar cane or sugar beets, which are processed to extract the sugar. Food manufacturers then add the chemically produced sugar, typically high-fructose corn syrup, to many packaged foods. The body breaks down refined sugar rapidly, which causes insulin and blood sugar levels to skyrocket."

https://www.healthdesigns.net/natural-vs-refined-sugar-why-the-difference-matters/

I don't get how this is so difficult to understand. This info has been around for decades and it's well known that processed or refined sugar is poison to our health.

Being human we like things that are bad for us, like overeating into obesity, or lots and lots of sugar.