I’m going to buy my first Apple iPad – is there any thing that I should know ?.

backstreet

Ive been an Android tablet user for many years , but recently I had a play with an Apple iPad at a shopping mall. I was impressed , so Ive decided to buy my self my first ever Apple iPad.

This one 

iPad Air ( From a main Apple shop ) 
WiFi
64GB Storage 

Priced at …. ฿19,900.00

Ive looked at the accessories , but not sure if any of them would be useful .

Having never owned an iPad before I’m now wondering if there’s any thing that would be useful to know before I go ahead and purchase the above spec iPad Air.

Any suggestions -  recommendations - advice or tips please 

???? Thanks .

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

get the air the pro is overkill

get more memory if you want to carry a lot of movies or games

other than that 64gb is adequate

enjoy!

I agree, iPad Pro is overkill, but must say get the 128Gb one, 64Gb is IMHO just a little bit too little! ????

AW, i Just see that they only have the iPad air in 64Gb and 256 Gb! 128 Gb is not an option

Edited by MJCM

I have an iPad Air 2 that I purchased in 2015 and it still works just fine, although it is no longer eligible for upgrades to newer versions of the operating system. 

Although I have not had any issues with my iPad Air, other family members have experienced failures of other Apple products and i would suggest considering purchasing the Apple Care option that extends the warranty and provides some accidental damage protection.

We purchase apple products directly from Apple's Thai website. They are sent from Apple's facilities in China or Singapore and arrive in just a few days via DHL if they are in stock.

45 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

get the air the pro is overkill

get more memory if you want to carry a lot of movies or games

other than that 64gb is adequate

enjoy!

I would get more memory if you can afford it. Apps, Movies, TV shows, photos, games (if that is your thing), all take up space. 64Gb really isn't much.

Plus the operating systems are getting bigger nowadays.

A protective case is a must.

Apple pencil. Only if you are really into drawing. Google "drawings done on iPad with Apple pencil."

If you don't have wireless headphones and want to listen to music on it, you might also want to buy the 3.5 headphone socket to lightning adaptor, so that you can plug in your wired headphones. (I'm not sure, but maybe one comes with the iPad.).

I often load mine up with movies, tv shows, ebooks, jigsaw puzzles, music and crosswords when I travel.

if you watch any sport, or BBC iPlayer, you might want to get yourself a VPN service.

The only other decisions you might have to consider is whether to buy one with just Wifi, or Wifi and Cellular. But that depends on your planned usage. And whether to buy AppleCare insurance.

When you say main Apple shop, note there are Official Apple stores, and authorised dealers.

Apple stores will give better service in case of problems.

I think there are other official Apple Stores in Thailand, but the only two I know of are outside CentralWorld, and IconSiam. Both Bangkok.

HTH

Edited by phetphet

13 minutes ago, Jon1050 said:

I’ve had three models that are all still in daily use , the first one bought when the iPad was launched 12years ago?, they don’t break down,period.

I agree, the main issues (IMHO) is battery wear and tear!

My iPad (bought in 2014) only issue is that the Battery performance is low. I went to Studio 7 (Apple Reseller) and they could change the battery, but that would take approx 2-4 weeks. And I can't live without it that long ???? I just keep it on charge all the time and it still works

Don't take it to one of those repair shops that can change the battery, I did it with my iPhone 5 and first it was oke, but after approx 1 month, I had to recharge the Battery every couple of hours!

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Although I have not had any issues with my iPad Air, other family members have experienced failures of other Apple products and i would suggest considering purchasing the Apple Care option

Bought a new MacBook Air and exactly one year and one day later, the right cursor key went out.

No, really. 

They wanted $300 for a new keyboard. I got used to it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I have an iPad Air 2 that I purchased in 2015 and it still works just fine, although it is no longer eligible for upgrades to newer versions of the operating system. 

You are wrong, the iPad Air 2 is on the latest iOS version, I am currently getting the latest iPadOS 15.0.2 at the moment. 
the original iPad Air however is on 12.5.5

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

I think there are other official Apple Stores in Thailand, but the only two I know of are outside CentralWorld, and IconSiam. Both Bangkok.

Those are the only 2 Apple owned stores all the others are agents

Edited by sometimewoodworker

3 hours ago, MJCM said:

I agree, the main issues (IMHO) is battery wear and tear!

My iPad (bought in 2014) only issue is that the Battery performance is low. I went to Studio 7 (Apple Reseller) and they could change the battery, but that would take approx 2-4 weeks. And I can't live without it that long ???? I just keep it on charge all the time and it still works

Don't take it to one of those repair shops that can change the battery, I did it with my iPhone 5 and first it was oke, but after approx 1 month, I had to recharge the Battery every couple of hours!

If you take it to an official Apple store, sometimes they can change the battery while you wait. I took my old one into the IconSiam one and they told me to come back in an hour. when I went  back they offered me a refurbished, as  new replacement for free.

Yeah one thing nobody mentioned is you should get the Wifi + Cellular option if you EVER think you might want to install a SIM Card and use the Personal Hotspot option to broadcast a wifi signal to your other devices. 

Another thing is that you dont need to buy more memory, you can just buy an external hard drive for it. I use a solid state external drive. That said, if you want to use the external drive that you use with the iPad on a windows computer, then you need to have it formatted in a certain file type. In other words, you cant use an external drive you use for a Windows PC on your iPad. There are ways around this, but its slightly more complicated. If you dont plan to do any of this, it doesn't matter, but food for thought. 

Dont listen to the haters. Apple products are great and reliable. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are wrong, the iPad Air 2 is on the latest iOS version, I am currently getting the latest iPadOS 15.0.2 at the moment. 
the original iPad Air however is on 12.5.5

You're correct. My iPad Air 2 shows the iPadOS as being 14.8 and states "your iPad software is up to date". Automatic update is turned on and it is connected to our home wifi. But now I see at the bottom of the screen that I can upgrade to iPadOS 15. Thank you for pointing this out. I would probably have missed this.

• Like 1