Best Pizza in CM?

1FinickyOne

7 hours ago, Moontan said:

Try this place if you are near. https://goo.gl/maps/ed7k4TeFfqgGARVZ7

Tawii Sourdough Cafe หมู่ที่ 1 170/92 San Pa Pao, San Sai District, Chiang Mai 50210

Very good bread, coffee and croissants too. Super nice people. A little hard to find the first time

I think this is right near my house, I've seen the sign on the road and rode my bicycle in the soi but didn't see it, is it at the very end? Do they have pizza or just breads and croissants? I'd try it since it is so close.

10 hours ago, Tedly said:

I think this is right near my house, I've seen the sign on the road and rode my bicycle in the soi but didn't see it, is it at the very end? Do they have pizza or just breads and croissants? I'd try it since it is so close.

They have very good pizza. I would say it is more in the Italian style. Go straight down the Soi about 120 metres. It is in the garden of a house on the left, just before the playground. Not open on Sundays.

Tawii.jpg

Tried the Dukes, sorry but no thanks. Mad Dog is good, more western style. La Fontana (Sebastiano and Mem) is my favorite Italian. Enjoyed the ones from Stefano  before (when Sebastiano was working there) did not visit for a while. Tried a couple Thai owned restaurants but non of them comes close to making a real Pizza. But like others mentioned it depends on the person that makes them or the supervisor and we all know that can change from day to day.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, seedy said:

Just finished one. Delicious as always

I just came from there myself. After reading about it here and not too far from me I decided to try it. Very good, and friendly owner, I'll keep going back again and trying different things. Not cheap like Thai food but for an occasional treat not too out of line.

10 hours ago, Moontan said:

They have very good pizza. I would say it is more in the Italian style. Go straight down the Soi about 120 metres. It is in the garden of a house on the left, just before the playground. Not open on Sundays.

Tawii.jpg

Thanks, I think I was looking on the right, I'll surely give it a try!

• Like 1

Duke's, especially the original Duke's restaurant by the Ping river.  That seems to be the one they use when we order from Meals on Wheels.  Always seem to get good pizza when we order from them.  Hubby loves pizza cold from the refrigerator for breakfast.  Takes him back to his college days.  He was always a good boy and remembered to put the leftover pizza in the refrigerator at night, even in college, when those around him failed.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, NancyL said:

Duke's, especially the original Duke's restaurant by the Ping river.  That seems to be the one they use when we order from Meals on Wheels.  Always seem to get good pizza when we order from them.  Hubby loves pizza cold from the refrigerator for breakfast.  Takes him back to his college days.  He was always a good boy and remembered to put the leftover pizza in the refrigerator at night, even in college, when those around him failed.

I failed more than pizza handling in college. A zero in Math that made me switch to geology... I don't remember a pizza surviving long enough to be 'take home.' 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I failed more than pizza handling in college. A zero in Math that made me switch to geology... I don't remember a pizza surviving long enough to be 'take home.' 

I was gone to say the same thing, leftover pizza, what kind of nonsense is that?

Don't know if mentioned yet, but I'm a big fan of Pizza Company's NY Style pizza, since that's as close to the type I grew up on in Philly, PA, USA.  Partial to the double pepperoni.  Along with 18" being best value in Thailand.

Most other pizzas in Thailand fail miserably IMHO, except SOHO @ Krung Thep.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Don't know if mentioned yet, but I'm a big fan of Pizza Company's NY Style pizza, since that's as close to the type I grew up on in Philly, PA, USA.  Partial to the double pepperoni.  Along with 18" being best value in Thailand.

For a chain pizza place it's acceptable- they get the spices pretty much correct, and that's a big part of NYC pizza (Brooklyn boy here).  The crust tends to be on the soft side (it needs more of a slight crunch) and the cheese is usually over-cooked by a minute or so (which is an issue with their ovens- they can't hit the crust/cheese 'sweet-spot'), but they made a real attempt at getting it right.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, flare said:

For a chain pizza place it's acceptable- they get the spices pretty much correct, and that's a big part of NYC pizza (Brooklyn boy here).  The crust tends to be on the soft side (it needs more of a slight crunch) and the cheese is usually over-cooked by a minute or so (which is an issue with their ovens- they can't hit the crust/cheese 'sweet-spot'), but they made a real attempt at getting it right.

I feel the same way, it is passable as I lived so far from anything else, at one time, but for me, the cheese often wasn't quite right either?? and sauce... but ok. 

Nothing quite like an Original Rays - or the 20 original Rays that must be back home by now... a distant memory now along with Chinatown and Junior's Cheesecake.. and Playland in Rockaway Beach, I can still hear the wood slats clanking on the rollercoaster - I was a bit young for Coney Island but remember a giant slide and a syntrifucal force whirl-a-wind thing... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I feel the same way, it is passable as I lived so far from anything else, at one time, but for me, the cheese often wasn't quite right either?? and sauce... but ok. 

Nothing quite like an Original Rays - or the 20 original Rays that must be back home by now... a distant memory now along with Chinatown and Junior's Cheesecake.. and Playland in Rockaway Beach, I can still hear the wood slats clanking on the rollercoaster - I was a bit young for Coney Island but remember a giant slide and a syntrifucal force whirl-a-wind thing... 

That ride was called the 'Hell Hole', and while it looked fun, it wasn't a pleasant experience as it crushed you against the wall once the floor dropped out from under you.????

Urban Pizza also made a decent facsimile of NY pizza, but it wasn't quite the same after the first couple times I tried it.  They need to open a Sbarro's here- they do a pretty good job of exporting NY pizza- I remember when one opened in Tokyo (where I was living at the time) in the 1990s, and it was like a taste of home (pizza generally being awful in Japan prior to that, so it wasn't too hard to impress me).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Someone should invent The Philly Cheesesteak Pizza... I was near addicted to a place on campus during my school days there... Funny, I don't remember eating Philly Pizza, but I do remember Hy Lit and The Philly Soul Sound... and Ronnie's Subs.. There was also a place with great Chicken [or was it veal back then] Parmigiana...

so long ago... 

1 minute ago, flare said:

That ride was called the 'Hell Hole', and while it looked fun, it wasn't a pleasant experience as it crushed you against the wall once the floor dropped out from under you.????

Urban Pizza also made a decent facsimile of NY pizza, but it wasn't quite the same after the first couple times I tried it.  They need to open a Sbarro's here- they do a pretty good job of exporting NY pizza- I remember when one opened in Tokyo (where I was living at the time) in the 1990s, and it was like a taste of home (pizza generally being awful in Japan prior to that, so it wasn't too hard to impress me).

So, you remember that... a place w/rides like that now would probably be sued out of business... 

I think my first pizza in CM was early 1980s... I was so excited to see it on a menu but after was amazed how it tasted just like all other Thai food. 

There is actually some decent pizza in CM now - most of it is thin crust style... I think the biggest issue here in Thailand might be that the cheese is expensive? But, I don't want to make the stuff, I just like to eat it and now the family likes it too... 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Goodness! I view Pizza Company as an affront to all that is good and decent in this Universe. The other chains are jockeying for 2nd position on the clown car to Hades.

In Bangkok, which I know better, there are 3 shops that could please even a finicky and proud Italian...Pizza Massilia, Vesuvio and Peppino. For the most part Straight Outta Napoli (though some concessions made like "Hawaiian", a euphemism for a pizza with pineapple) are all three.

I've eaten at each, and when I sit and hear italian spoken all around me by other customers (especially at Vesuvio), I think that says something about the quality. Granted, other countries have their own styles and preferences, but for those who like what Italy first developed some 160 years ago (only, what a surprise, like chili in Thai food is of a similar 'youthful' age), those three venues are tops.

I lived for a while in Bkk but that was 20+ years ago - there was one pretty decent place in a hotel outside of the city, maybe Rangsit area... but nothing else. Then came Ronny's NY Pizza on Soi Nana but mostly I would go for Ronny's chicken Parm... though he sold out many years ago... 

and I have to say, I probably prefer the NY style that I grew up with, to the real Italian style... 

Edited by 1FinickyOne

4 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Someone should invent The Philly Cheesesteak Pizza... I was near addicted to a place on campus during my school days there... Funny, I don't remember eating Philly Pizza, but I do remember Hy Lit and The Philly Soul Sound... and Ronnie's Subs.. There was also a place with great Chicken [or was it veal back then] Parmigiana...

so long ago... 

We didn't call it 'Philly' pizza ... just pizza, as everyone basically made it the same.  Then came Wolfgang Puck, and everything needed a label.

If from Philly, don't call it a sub ... blasphemy.  It's a Hoagie, and most have never had one.  And please tell me you are referring to Ronnie's Steaks (Mills) in Sharon Hill.  The Geater with the Heater (Blavit)...my brother, a couple years older was into the Chez Vous scene ????????????

Probably Veal parm, as a big thing, till people realized what veal was, or how / why so tender ????

Edited by KhunLA

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

We didn't call it 'Philly' pizza ... just pizza, as everyone basically made it the same.  Then came Wolfgang Puck, and everything needed a label.

If from Philly, don't call it a sub ... blasphemy.  It's a Hoagie, and most have never had one.  And please tell me you are referring to Ronnie's Steaks (Mills) in Sharon Hill.  The Geater with the Heater (Blavit)...my brother, a couple years older was into the Chez Vous scene ????????????

Probably Veal parm, as a big thing, till people realized what veal was, or how / why so tender ????

Ah yes, a hoagie... it has been a long time ago and I spent so little time there... don't know Sharon Hill unless she was the nursing student Sharon who I set up my dysfunctional roommate with and she stole his virginity... Geater and Chez Vous, also unknowns... 

Ronnie's I think was the name of the hoagie deli shop on the corner of maybe 40th and Spruce??? Great Roast beef hoagies and a Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak... 

I was in school there for 4 years but did not spend that much time there... 

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Just realized y'all talking about Ronny's in BKK, not my hometown, Sharon Hill, PA ... ????  Had a Ronnie's Steaks there (cheesesteaks / hoagies)

Ronny in Bkk sold out many years ago.. many many... I am still in touch w/him... though I think the pizza place may still be there.