STV (2nd edition)

Hi, 

I'm one of the very few, apparently, that like STV (below retirement age, need more than 3 months but not more than 7 months, border runs not available) and I was glad to see that they run it for another year. (Hopefully it becomes permanent). 

I'm also delighted by the latest news that Thailand will open for non-quarantine inbound travel. 

Now...

Is there any material changes in the STV-setup since last year, that I should know about? 

I'm with you on the STV.  A-Nut-In has convinced me to find some other country to retire in but snowbirding fulfills all my requirements.   I'm giving up my OA visa.  I spend the early spring months wandering through small towns in the wine regions of France then to Canada for the summer and fall.  A good life.

Now the problem is:  No they have made no changes in the STV program.  That means that according to existing laws you (and I) still would have to quarantine for 14 or 15 days.  They never thought to update the requirements ....  how Thai of them.

I have put in several requests for clarification to the Thai embassy to no avail.  I was told that the embassy is expecting (hoping) for clarity and will update the website after the November 1 st. announcements.  Then they went dark on me.

Fingers crossed, luck to both of us.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

The old six month Tourist Visa ( w/ Multiple Entry) was the best. Literally no need for these Longstay Visitor Visa Grubs. No dealings at all with Local Immigration. Euro 140 each from Thai Rome or London or Madrid Embassies where I have Residence.

Yeah, but it was useful and gave immigration only very limited opportunities for "Revenue Enhancements".  It had to be stopped.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ourdon said:

Yeah, but it was useful and gave immigration only very limited opportunities for "Revenue Enhancements".  It had to be stopped.

The Multi Entry Tourist Visa is still available in some countries, I just got one in Denmark. Much easier than the STV that I got last year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, farang51 said:

The Multi Entry Tourist Visa is still available in some countries, I just got one in Denmark. Much easier than the STV that I got last year.

I just went and checked .... not Canada

Edited by ourdon
spalling

11 hours ago, ourdon said:

Now the problem is:  No they have made no changes in the STV program.  That means that according to existing laws you (and I) still would have to quarantine for 14 or 15 days.  They never thought to update the requirements ....  how Thai of them.

The quarantine requirements are written in the ministerial order for them (it is not a law).

Just ignore the quarantine requirements if shown on a embassy or a official consulate website. It will be approved without a AQ hotel reservation for any amount of time.

The quarantine and vaccination requirements are a different order than the STV requirements.

The requirements for a COE or the new Thailand Pass are completely separate from visa applications.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The quarantine requirements are written in the ministerial order for them (it is not a law).

Just ignore the quarantine requirements if shown on a embassy or a official consulate website. It will be approved without a AQ hotel reservation for any amount of time.

The quarantine and vaccination requirements are a different order than the STV requirements.

The requirements for a COE or the new Thailand Pass are completely separate from visa applications.

Hi Ubonjoe, i just make a STV application yesterday i think they will refuse it they still ask for 14 days quarantine and a confirmation of stay after quarantine wich i don't have i send only my 24h quarantine booking wich is in january very confusing their website.

Special Tourist Visas are not available via the new website https://thaievisa.go.th/tourist-visa from which all new Tourist Visas are supposed to go through. I guess that makes sense because Thailand still argues STV is a temporary solution. However, the Thaiembassy website of my country still states all the same requirements of last year for a STV (14 day Q, med cert, etc.). 

Would you think there will be a "STV-light" update within short, with fewer requirements? Even better, have you seen any countrys website updated/downsized the requirements? 

24 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Would you think there will be a "STV-light" update within short, with fewer requirements? Even better, have you seen any countrys website updated/downsized the requirements? 

As far as I know there were no changes were done to the requirements when the order was extended for a year.

30 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Special Tourist Visas are not available via the new website https://thaievisa.go.th/tourist-visa from which all new Tourist Visas are supposed to go through. I guess that makes sense because Thailand still argues STV is a temporary solution.

You may have to register on the e visa site to find the requirements for the STV.

9 minutes ago, farang51 said:

The STV is not listed there when I log in. I guess one would have to apply at the embassy.

Sorry, that is wrong. As HansumFarang said in another thread, they hide it under "Duration of stay no longer than 90 days".

41 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

So now I apply for a STV via the website and not the embassy? 

It seems so but you will have to check yourself to see what it says when you apply at the e-visa site. It may be different in your country.

For instance, I can apply and get the Multi Entry Tourist Visa (METV) as a Dane but other members in here from some other countries cannot get the METV.

Im in the same situation. Im planning to stay in Thailand 6 or 7 months.

Im from Spain, and in the embassy of Thailand here they asked me for these requirements for apply STV

Health insurance.

Certificate from a doctor stating that you do not have leprosy and some other deceases.

Statement from the police that you do not have a criminal record.

**Proof of paid accommodation for the duration of your stay --> I gonna make contract for condo for 6 months, so I guess I will pay month per month.... (Who gonna pay 6 or 9 months of accomodation before arrival?)

They still talking about 14 days of quarantine on arrival but it seems like this gonna be removed.

24 minutes ago, zekelin said:

**Proof of paid accommodation for the duration of your stay --> I gonna make contract for condo for 6 months, so I guess I will pay month per month.... (Who gonna pay 6 or 9 months of accomodation before arrival?)

This was one of the holdouts for me last year - it may have changed since; back then there were also a requirement for a large sum in a bank which is no longer required.

I have an apartment lease without a fixed period. They wanted a statement from the owner that I had paid for the duration of the planned stay (6 months). A simply receipt was not enough, it had to be specific with the dates of arrival and departure and that it was paid for the full period.

• Haha 1

You guys were correct, the STV option is available at the following place (screenshot): hZnCAur.png

So, do I understand this correctly that all the documents that the embassy needed for my application last year - I'll instead upload to this website? If thats the case, that's awesome. Am I not to get a stamp/visa in my passport? (I don't mind, I'm just planning my steps). 

21 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

So, do I understand this correctly that all the documents that the embassy needed for my application last year - I'll instead upload to this website? If thats the case, that's awesome. Am I not to get a stamp/visa in my passport? (I don't mind, I'm just planning my steps). 

Yes, click the Next button, and you can see the first portion of documents you need to upload. I haven't gone longer than that in the process as I already have a visa (METV), but if you need to visit the embassy it should say so in the next page again. Hopefully, you will not need to go to the embassy in Sweden. Most visas, if not all, are now stickerless, meaning you get a PDF file that you then print yourself.

I chose the METV as I believe that a border run wil be possible in the next three months time, and I do not want the hassle of the STV and an expensive and/or useless Thai health insurance.

16 minutes ago, farang51 said:

Yes, click the Next button, and you can see the first portion of documents you need to upload. I haven't gone longer than that in the process as I already have a visa (METV), but if you need to visit the embassy it should say so in the next page again. Hopefully, you will not need to go to the embassy in Sweden. Most visas, if not all, are now stickerless, meaning you get a PDF file that you then print yourself.

I chose the METV as I believe that a border run wil be possible in the next three months time, and I do not want the hassle of the STV and an expensive and/or useless Thai health insurance.

Thank you, sir! A METV sounds like a blessing, but I don't have one in my scroll menu next to the STV. 

Good luck ahead. ????

34 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Thank you, sir! A METV sounds like a blessing, but I don't have one in my scroll menu next to the STV. 

Select Tourism / Leisure activities under Purpose of Visit. In some countries, you can only select "single" in the next drop-down box, hopefully, you can select "multiple" in Sweden.

I guess the requirements for Sweden will be much the same as for Denmark so maybe you can use my article on getting a visa:

https://rejse-til-thailand.dk/visa

Edited by farang51

4 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

Good luck ahead. ????

The only problem with the METV is that you are banking on borders reopening. I think this is why it is not being offered by some embassies. When  (if) available it is a lot less hassle than the STV although the one I have will see me through to end Feb so no complaints

6 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

When you apply online to the e visa website you will get a email after it is approved and that will be your sticker less visa.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

When you apply online to the e visa website you will get a email after it is approved and that will be your sticker less visa.

Amazing! 

I know it's early days but, have we heard anything from other members regarding total processing time? Last year I was told my application, in person, would be complete in less than 7 days (it took 3). 

1 hour ago, aldriglikvid said:

I know it's early days but, have we heard anything from other members regarding total processing time? Last year I was told my application, in person, would be complete in less than 7 days (it took 3). 

It depends upon the embassy or official consulate that processes and approve you online application. It should be fairly quick after it is accepted.

23 hours ago, farang51 said:

hey farang51, did you need to show bookings for your entire stay when applying for your METV?

24 minutes ago, JeanVDB22 said:

hey farang51, did you need to show bookings for your entire stay when applying for your METV?

I am not sure if they want proof of accommodation for the whole stay. I have been renting the same apartment for three years and I just uploaded a copy of the rental contract.

• Thanks 1

I have just run through the STV having finally found it through this thread (thanks).

I can't see any reference on there to the police background check or the Tb, syphilis etc test?

Is this still a requirement or do we need to wait til Monday 1st to find out more? These seem to be the most time consuming parts of the application so would like to get these sorted ASAP if still required! 

4 minutes ago, ryan15987532 said:

I can't see any reference on there to the police background check or the Tb, syphilis etc test?

You will find the requirements at the website for the Thai Embassy in your country. Only, please be aware that many embassies are very slow to update their website; thus, the requirement of a 14 day quarantine may still be mentioned, although it is no longer required.

The police background check is easier in some countries than others; In Denmark, you just have to go to a website and order it and then print it. The TB document you can get from any doctor.

5 minutes ago, ryan15987532 said:

Is this still a requirement or do we need to wait til Monday 1st to find out more? These seem to be the most time consuming parts of the application so would like to get these sorted ASAP if still required! 

The requirements for the STV has nothing to do with the quarantine, sandbox, or test and go.

In my case, the document for paid accommodation for the duration of the stay was the most time consuming part.

6 minutes ago, farang51 said:

You will find the requirements at the website for the Thai Embassy in your country. Only, please be aware that many embassies are very slow to update their website; thus, the requirement of a 14 day quarantine may still be mentioned, although it is no longer required.

The police background check is easier in some countries than others; In Denmark, you just have to go to a website and order it and then print it. The TB document you can get from any doctor.

The requirements for the STV has nothing to do with the quarantine, sandbox, or test and go.

In my case, the document for paid accommodation for the duration of the stay was the most time consuming part.

The only reference to STV I can find on London embassy is https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/special-tourist-visa-stv?cate=5d6636c215e39c3bd0006c8d, which doesn't mention police check or health tests.

I was actually at the London Thai embassy yesterday for an unrelated reason and asked them about STV and they just said apply online and didn't have any interest in helping.  I hope their website is updated very soon with up to date information. Thanks for your help.