AIS vs DTAC vs Truemove (True-H), technical info for IT nerds/nolifers

fdsa

42 minutes ago, fdsa said:

Thanks, I'll check these "My" SIMs out.

I have a 4G modem in my laptop and a usb modem for the WiFi router, both Cat6.

My needs are very simple: do not block any of my traffic (I can understand port 25 but why the hell AIS drops plain text HTTP traffic?!)  and have a stable connection with European servers. Not necessarily fast - 5 megabits/s would be plenty, and so far only DTAC matched these needs.

DTAC also uses Band 40, leased from TOT/NT Wireless. 
Similarly, Truemove H leased from CAT(now of course also NT). 

You’ll find out if they run their networks differently from the lessee. 

Thanks to OP for the post. I use AIS mobile and often as a hotspot. 

A few things: 

Who even uses port 25 these days? Surely 587 (with TLS) is the accepted outgoing SMTP best option? 

Also, for incoming IMAP then port 993 SSL/TLS is the one to use. 

My understanding is that both are encrypted - mine using TLSV1.3. Or am I wrong? If the ISP can do MITM then can they read encypted emails?

Also, port 80 is surely redundant now as most websites/servers are forced to use HTTPS 443. Or am I missing something on that? Port 443 is encrypted for sure so how can an intercept decrypt the data packets? Many web browsers will block unsecured requests to port 80 anyhow.

13 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Who even uses port 25 these days?

I use it exclusively for testing my own systems,  as it's very fast and easy to run "telnet myserver.com 25" to check if the mail server is accessible. Of course port 587 is valid too but I'm just used to check with 25.

port 80 is surely redundant now as most websites/servers are forced to use HTTPS 443. Or am I missing something on that?

There are millions of websites which do not use HTTPS, and also same as above I'm used to "curl -v myserver.com" to check its availability.

The most disturbing thing is that many Linux distributions use HTTP repositories (there is no need to encrypt the traffic because the software is digitally signed already, and the HTTPS encryption will just incur an unnecessary load on the repository's web server), so I could not download/update the software and have to search for HTTPS repositories or use VPN.

My understanding is that both are encrypted - mine using TLSV1.3. Or am I wrong? If the ISP can do MITM then can they read encypted emails?

hahaha, you are opening a huge can of worms. ISPs and governments can and do intercept encrypted emails.

But this is a very different story...

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 11:35 AM, fdsa said:

Update:  today port 80 works well, possibly such limitation is set up on selected IP subnets only, so if you experience the same issue - reboot your modem to get a new IP address. Works for me on subnet: 182.232.46.0/24 (182.232.44.0/22?)

On 11/14/2021 at 4:05 PM, fdsa said:

Yesterday port 80 (plain HTTP) did not work on subnet 182.232.18.0/24 (182.232.16.0/22?) with all websites I tried, but today I still have the same IP address and port 80 works well with all websites, so this blocking seems to be random.

for statistics: plain HTTP works on subnet 49.230.132.0/24 (49.230.132.0/22?)

• 2 months later...

I've discovered that AIS modem sometimes connects to TOT network, making internet connection even worse ???? you could see it in the operator information such as MCC/MNC.

Linux:

$ mmcli -m 0 
			|       operator id: 52015
			|     operator name: TOT3G
			|      registration: home

to make modem connect back to AIS tell it to register with MCC 520 MNC 03

Linux:

$ sudo mmcli -m 0 --3gpp-register-in-operator=52003

Did you know that AIS partnered with TOT?

Edited by fdsa

On 4/25/2023 at 1:09 AM, fdsa said:

I've discovered that AIS modem sometimes connects to TOT network, making internet connection even worse ???? you could see it in the operator information such as MCC/MNC.

Linux:

$ mmcli -m 0 
			|       operator id: 52015
			|     operator name: TOT3G
			|      registration: home

to make modem connect back to AIS tell it to register with MCC 520 MNC 03

Linux:

$ sudo mmcli -m 0 --3gpp-register-in-operator=52003

Did you know that AIS partnered with TOT?

Yes, I did. I can fix the Band chosen using my router’s firmware in so that it doesn’t Roam.