Burmese Food In Bangkok

It is indeed a wonderful cuisine with some distinctive dishes, especially the tea salad. The menu here from San Francisco might make you salivate a bit:

http://www.burmasuperstar.com/menu.html

As far as a Burmese restaurant in Bangkok, I don't think one exists, but would like to be proved wrong. Years ago I heard there was a low end Burmese eatery across the street from the Myanmar embassy and I went scouting there to find it but saw no sign of it. You could consider some of the Northern Thai dishes like khao soy to be Burmese dishes though.

I've never been to Burma but I have heard many times that even in Burma it is hard to find good Burmese food in a restaurant because it is more of cook it at home kind of culture.

Edited by Jingthing

There are/were some restaurants/eating shops along Pan road leading up to the Myanmar Embassy which use Burmese characters on their signs and menus. The food on display looks very much like Thai food. I did try the food in one of these restaurants once about 5 years ago but the it didn't remind me too much of the oily Burmese curries which I used to eat in Myanmar. It might be worth exploring these restaurants to find some authentic dishes.

As regards Burmese pickled tea, mixed with various nuts makes a unique 'salad' dish (Lapeik ?). The last tine I had this was in Siam Reap where a large Burmese community thrives.

• 4 weeks later...