COVID-19: Thailand reports 8,452 new coronavirus cases, 57 deaths

webfact

A total of 72.05 million Covid vaccines were administered between February 28 - October 26, including 40.72 million first doses and 29.12 million second doses (40.4% of the population are fully vaccinated).

812,009 people were vaccinated yesterday.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1453237777915654145

• Like 1

Of the 8,285 cases in the general Thai population, the highest numbers were 859 in Bangkok followed by 551 in Songkhla, 532 in Pattani, 475 in Yala, 358 in Chanthaburi, 345 in Nakhon Si Thammarat, 331 in Narathiwat, 306 in Samut Prakan and 297 in Chonburi.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1453237158731567110

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Thailand and UK have similar populations. UK has way more infections. UK does around 1,000,000 tests a day. I wonder what the infection numbers would be here if Thailand did 1,000,000 tests a day rather than at a guess 30,000.

I fully respect and understand the potential benefits of mass testing and would never question the uses.

Having read your post I then opened UK news and was surprised to come across the damning report below of the particular "test and trace" system used in the UK. Eye watering numbers with contractors paid around Baht 50,000 a day. It is a report prepared by MP's in the UK and suggests that the system failed in it's main objective and goes on to say that there is no clear evidence that test and trace as used in UK works. I am startled by the report but there it is.

It is about the UK, of course, but does raise questions about what would have been best for Thailand. More testing yes but....

http://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-nhs-test-and-trace-failed-in-its-main-objective-highly-critical-report-from-committee-of-mps-finds-12445501

Edited by Rhacsyn
Spell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

I fully respect and understand the potential benefits of mass testing and would never question the uses.

Having read your post I then opened UK news and was surprised to come across the damning report below of the particular "test and trace" system used in the UK. Eye watering numbers with contractors paid around Baht 50,000 a day. It is a report prepared by MP's in the UK and suggests that the system failed in it's main objective and goes on to say that there is no clear evidence that test and trace as used in UK works. I am startled by the report but there it is.

It is about the UK, of course, but does raise questions about what would have been best for Thailand. More testing yes but....

http://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-nhs-test-and-trace-failed-in-its-main-objective-highly-critical-report-from-committee-of-mps-finds-12445501

I don't think you'll get very far with a story critical of the UK on this page, many posters here hold the UK up as a shining light especially compared to Thailand on testing rates

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Of the 8,285 cases in the general Thai population, the highest numbers were 859 in Bangkok followed by 551 in Songkhla, 532 in Pattani, 475 in Yala, 358 in Chanthaburi, 345 in Nakhon Si Thammarat, 331 in Narathiwat, 306 in Samut Prakan and 297 in Chonburi.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1453237158731567110

So the now more than 2 week complete alcohol ban in Chantaburi hasn't done much. I think nearly every day the figures have been as high or higher than they were then.

6 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

I don't think you'll get very far with a story critical of the UK on this page, many posters here hold the UK up as a shining light especially compared to Thailand on testing rates

The reason the UK is sometimes used is because of the population comparison however I agree you could you countless other countries instead to compare with Thailand seeing as Thailand is 144th in the world for testing per million people.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The reason the UK is sometimes used is because of the population comparison however I agree you could you countless other countries instead to compare with Thailand seeing as Thailand is 144th in the world for testing per million people.

Well it is what it is, they could test ten times more and still not waste so much money

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sungod said:

Countries with more people will inevitably get more cases, simple math.

93rd overall with cases per 1 million

130th for deaths per 1 million

Pretty good (although still very sad) overall.

So just how good is the sinovac vaccine against the new Delta Plus? It doesn't get better if it spreads.

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Excellent article highlighting the hidden pain and the elevated suicide rates since Covid resulting in over 10 deaths/100,000 population in 2020 and predicted to go even higher. 

Sadly for these people they won’t get a second chance. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/thailand-suicide-covid-19-mental-health-department-director-general-2247011

From the article: "Latest data from the Mental Health Department showed a marked increase in suicide deaths, which rose from at least 5,768 in 2018 to 5,870 in 2019. The figure was 6,597 in 2020. "

It's sad, an increase of 727 in 2020, around 12%.  It would not be surprising to have a similar or worse increase in 2021.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, candide said:

From the article: "Latest data from the Mental Health Department showed a marked increase in suicide deaths, which rose from at least 5,768 in 2018 to 5,870 in 2019. The figure was 6,597 in 2020. "

It's sad, an increase of 727 in 2020, around 12%.  It would not be surprising to have a similar or worse increase in 2021.

The article highlights that very fact that the number is likely to increase in 2021 due to the prolonged ongoing lockdown situation. 

Very sad to see so many young people who should have had so much to look forwards to, so desperate to want to end their lives so early. Many would have lost their jobs, incomes and any hope of a future. 

Add into this the increase in mental health of children which would have deteriorated for many during the schools being shut and it’s a sorry picture contributed to by Covid and the severe lockdowns/lack of tourism. 

Let’s hope from next month things start to look up for all. 

19 minutes ago, anchadian said:

No need for a link, I remember that quote well, 'it is what it is'.

Well everyone’s memory is  different so there is if you wish to substantiate it as an accurate quote word for word and want people to believe it. 

Otherwise you could have a situation where people are using all kinds of unsubstantiated quotes to argue their case and discredit others., particularly in the case of the country’s leader I would have thought it would be extremely prudent. 

I was under the impression from what I had previously read on this forum, as recent as yesterday when a new poster was asked for a link to verify his information, that quotes could only be used with a link/source provided or they were removed as potentially spreading false/misleading information. 

Are you saying this is not now the case? 

Edited by Kadilo

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So the 1000 cases in the prison we saw announced last night must have been a total from several weeks as they did not show a spike in the prison numbers today.  With ATK cases added we are over the 10k average mark.

7 day average shows Thailand at 11th overall in cases, but as yu can see the weekly deaths have declined by 122 deaths which is good. Yet the testing metric is abysmall

11 Thailand 65,345 72,893 -10% 933 463 585 -21% 7 -7,548 -108 -122 -2 70,030,726

Thailand still at 24th overall since the start of covid, while only averaging 212,951 tests per 1 million in the population.

24 Thailand 1,866,863 +7,706 18,865 +66 1,749,848 +9,532 98,150 2,432 26,658 269 14,913,135 212,951 70,030,726

Thailand at 36th overall for total number of deaths as well since the start of the pandemic

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#main_table

36 Thailand 1,866,863 +7,706 18,865 +66 1,749,848 +9,532 98,150 2,432 26,658 269 14,913,135 212,951 70,030,726

Spikes everywhere, clusters everywhere, deep south in deep doo-doo

yet numbers are dropping..

Must be a November blessing.

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Thailand and UK have similar populations. UK has way more infections. UK does around 1,000,000 tests a day. I wonder what the infection numbers would be here if Thailand did 1,000,000 tests a day rather than at a guess 30,000.

People dying is what bothers me, not seemingly healthy people walking around with no idea that they are infected. We need to get away with the infatuation for daily counts and move on.

Admittedly there are some on here who would need to look for another hobby if that were the case.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Possible scenaio for less walkins. People feel a bit sick and do home ATK. Do it wrong and get a false negative. Spread the infection. Numbers remain reasonably steady due to testing being set at a paticular number rather than searching proactively for infections. My guess at testing numbers is around 20-30,000. Pity the govt. decided to no longer say how many tests are being carried out daily like other countries do. Victoria with a population of just under 6.7 million conducted 88,000 tests yesterday. As I say low testing numbers and ATK's here I believe are keeping numbers artificially low. If testing numbers were revealed then we could actually see if there is a meaningful reduction. As for deaths once again I wonder if there has been a change away from dying from Covid-19 to dying with Covid-19. 

Hallelujah… First post ever (Globally) I have seen that asks the questions .. Where is the breakdown of deaths stats that isn’t lumped with Covid … o body gives … WHY … Because Suicide and Shootings don’t make life exciting and the fancy coloured charts and stats are as useful as wind in a spacesuit after tin of beans ….

4869812A-F44A-466E-AE89-8B0575C4C1A5.jpeg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

So just how good is the sinovac vaccine against the new Delta Plus? It doesn't get better if it spreads.

I understand where you're coming and it's a fair question. Sinovac by way of fact is not very good. I'm thinking it's not going to be very good against anything else.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I understand where you're coming and it's a fair question. Sinovac by way of fact is not very good. I'm thinking it's not going to be very good against anything else.

Have you got some data/link to demonstrate what you mean by your fact that it’s “is not very good” 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Sad 1