Thailand’s main airport runs tests ahead of country’s reopening on Monday

webfact

31 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

Currently you are transported one at a time  by the quarantine hotel.  150 transports waiting for one flight?  Bloody nightmare awaits  

Lol that would be a new money machine. Only 1 passenger pr taxi, so 4 taxies for most families.

Hmm i better shut up, or they actually make it happen....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

It wasn't mentioned because they have conveniently moved these items to the hotel. Clever.

I think its only some of the larger hotels that will be able to provide the test, other than those you have to go to a testing hub.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

I think its only some of the larger hotels that will be able to provide the test, other than those you have to go to a testing hub.

Could be true.

On the other hand the 1 night hotels are all on an approved list.

It's very possible that to get on that list the hotel must have a linkage to a hospital, same as the hotels involved in the CoE process. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, peetje said:

After passing RT-PCR tests upon arrival, they can travel anywhere in Thailand, but must download and install a tracking app and pass antigen tests at the end of their first week in Thailand.

Where did that one spring from?

Ooh a treasure chest at the end of your journey. They kept quiet about that. 

33 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Could be true.

On the other hand the 1 night hotels are all on an approved list.

It's very possible that to get on that list the hotel must have a linkage to a hospital, same as the hotels involved in the CoE process. 

I was just basing it on the dispatch from Richard Barrow who inspected the arrival procedure a couple of days ago along with the Khun Thapanee Kiatphaibool, the deputy governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand.

"For bigger hotels, like the Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park, which I inspected this afternoon, they will have their own on-site medical team to test you. The Marriott is teaming up with Samitivej Hospital to do this. For smaller hotels, you will first be taken to a swab center to do the test and then to your hotel. Which will obviously take longer depending on traffic. Once you have checked in at your hotel, you will be taken up to your room where you must stay until you get the results of the test."

https://www.getrevue.co/profile/richardbarrow/issues/reopening-of-thailand-dispatch-1-826907

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

The fun and games and tales of woe will be hitting forums 24/7 for the next 3 months.

Let others iron out the system and wait until the new year

It appears that many are at the biting at the bit into to test the turgid waters even before the magical date - and many others soon after. Almost an innocence without understanding the complexities of wishy-washy Thainess. 

A more sound ideal would be to give the proposed grandeur of it all a couple of months to work out the kinks - making any such arrangements by the first or second week of January. In theory, it might adjust itself just by shear attrition. Or not. 

9 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Possibly because Germans are notorious for not understanding how to correctly queue, wait their turn, push in, and (when speaking English) sound aggressive and self righteous. 

There have been previous reports of Germans throwing a towel over their chair in the crowded departure lounge while they go looking for the swimming pool.

Surely a better test would be 300 fake indians......

20 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I'm SO glad I don't have any plans to travel in the next 6 months.

I hated all the jumped up little Nazis in uniform at the airports before Covid, I can only imagine the treatment of the 'infected' now. Officials armed with their nasal swabs to ram especially hard 3 inches up the nose of anyone they don't like the look of.

I wonder if they can be bothered to employ extra staff to manage all this, or will it be like the old days when there were only 2 immigration booths open (and the scowling officers manning them were in no rush) with queues all the way back to the moving walkways. 

Happy holidays everyone! It will all be worth it when you sit down for your first ice cold beer at your favourite restaurant.... oh wait a minute.. ????????

I wonder what would happen if an arriving person politely but with rational challenged what the 'document checkers' were saying (especially regarding visa status) and asked to speak to a supervisor. Anybody even seen this?

Edited by scorecard

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I wonder what would happen if an arriving person politely but with rational challenged what the 'document checkers' were saying and asked to speak to a supervisor. Anybody even seen this?

Don't confuse them more than they might be already - especially to challenge their silliness, which might send them into a dither. 

Though, an intriguing thought. I doubt any such scenario would come into play.

9 hours ago, tomyami said:

airlines flying to bkk will lose money so why bother its not a tourist destination anymore

Sure they will lose. So will AOT. It was a tourist destination with low yields on fewer business seats sold.

Now fewer tourists, slots being given up, empty shops in airports, and mounting losses.

Crowds on arrival wont be a problem this "high season"